It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disgraced cardinal Wuerl of Washington DC presides over Christmas mass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Cardinal Wuerl, despite stepping down due to abuse scandal, presides over grand Basilica Christmas Mass
triblive.com...

Two months ago, Cardinal Donald Wuerl stepped down early from his position as archbishop of Washington, faced with a Pennsylvania grand jury investigation that condemned him for his mixed record on handling abusive priests under his supervision.

On Christmas Day, Wuerl was robed in the majestic symbols of the Catholic church regardless, sitting on a seat designed to resemble a throne with his ceremonial head-covering shaped like a crown.

Pope Francis praised Wuerl in October even as he accepted the cardinal’s early retirement because of to the abuse scandal, and offered him a soft landing by keeping him on as administrator leading the Archdiocese of Washington until his successor is named, which has not happened yet.

On Christmas Day, Wuerl made his return, celebrating Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception as his first major public event after months of staying somewhat away from the limelight.

IMO, the scandals surrounding cardinal Wuerl were enough to make his mind to abstain from public scene, even if he feels to have acted in a good faith all those years. He retired, the pope accepted his resignation. Why should he preside over Christmas mass, is beyond my understanding. Is it a demonstration on the side of the Vatican, that you see, we are right even when we are wrong? I doubt the cardinal has taken the decision alone.

It is yet another instant when we see how Detached from the life of the common people the Catholic hierarchy grows.
The Catholic Church's billion wide population have OTHER PROBLEMS than the glorification of its hierarchy, even after scandals and retirement. Pity and Shame!
edit on 27-12-2018 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

Christianity is on the decline because of all the pedophilia. Just google, "decline of christianity" and there are tons of articles documenting what is happening.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Shocking people stayed and listened. I would have walked out and made as much noise as possible on my way out. I would probably also shouted Pedophile Pedophile, lets get him!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

I don't think the Catholic church has ever been on the commons mans side. If they are, why do they have so much money whilst ordinary Catholics are starving to death?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

I just switched off the internet broadcast.
And let say, Wuerl might not be as bad as others. But his place was Definitely NOT on Christmas mass! As a monk, he should consecrate his life to prayer and service of the church in the shadow. Yes he is caretaker of DC diocese until the appointment of new archbishop. Still the choice to preside the highly symbolic mass was a very very wrong choice! Ultimately, it hits back at the Catholic Church.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Assemble

I ask the same question being on the side of those common people. Why so much money, why so many missions to convert people form other religions in the third world and to add points and percents, while many common catholics in the traditionally Christian countries suffer beyond imagination, the families who fulfill all requirements (including the moral teachings that result in many children) should struggle for their bread?
Because God wants so? Is God so cruel, as shown by those hierarchy?

Unfortunately ,Wuerl decision goes back to the pope who decided Wuerl to remain caretaker of DC diocese. And pope Francis, despite all his intentions to reform the Church, for now fails to do so on some substantial scale. If he ever does at 82. However, he might live to 90....does it mean the AGONY of the Catholic Church should continue a decade more?
edit on 28-12-2018 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

top topics

join