It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sleep paralysis anybody?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I experienced sleep paralysis once about 9 years ago....I woke up, not sure what time at night from sleeping, &my entire body had the same feeling you get when your hand or arm falls asleep....I couldn't move, I wasn't THAT afraid, and figured the best thing to do....would be to go back to sleep...I was around 14 at the time....it hasn't occured since....not sure what causes this..

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
not sure thats quite what we are talkin about tho.... u was awake and SP happens wen ur asleep...

[edit on 043131p://33034 by info_junkee]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggaman
to get sp wake up early so your still knackered have a spliff then drift off to sleep. try to stay conscious

yeah ! i go bed really late knackered smokin and that always set if off.. i could sense it comin (in my ears..) and stay awake til it passed...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I suffered a lot from SP s a child. Initially I would wake up with the inability to move except for opening my eyes. Upon doing this I would be subjected to all kinds of unusual and fightening visions. I particularly remember a large disembodied hand which was particularly terrifying although the earliest vision I remember was of a great and noble horned ram.
These experiences changed as I grew older until I began to feel a presence in the room with me during these episodes. It felt as though this presence was sitting upon my chest and suffocating me. Stopping my ability to breathe, move and speak. This presence semmed genuinely hostile and I would fight it with what resourcs I could muster. I no longer remember exactly how I eventually overcame that presencebut I am sure that it lurks still, keeping a respectful distance now but taking every chance to appear when I am vulnerable. Only to be laughed away.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by info_junkee
not sure thats quite what we are talkin about tho.... u was awake and SP happens wen ur asleep...

[edit on 043131p://33034 by info_junkee]

Just a point of clarification, InfoJunkee: the Sleep Paralysis state of consciousness embodies -both-, elements of sleep and waking...and that's why it stumped scientists for all those years (till the 80s) and prompted folks as far back as the Middle Ages to assign it a malevolent, spiritualistic or demonic, origin.
The majority of SP episodes, according to the literature, is emergent, rather than at sleep inception. That is, the "normal" SP episode occurs when the brain awakens to near full clarity and consciousness, but the body is still paralyzed by the neurochemicals that paralyze the body during REM (full dreaming), sleep. So, you are both asleep (body, breathing on "auto") but able to see and hear normally...that''s what''s so disorienting about it, and supposedly, what causes the unwary to assign it an "outside" influence....be it UFOs or Succubus/Incubbus (mythical creatures that would "attack" folks in their sleep.
Yes, I know, it sounds silly with the light of Science now showing the way and providing solid, replicatible evidence to explain the experience, but for a thousand years, folks -did- believe that creatures caused this experience. )
Anyway, I'm not sure to whom you were referring in your post, but I hope this clarifies the matter somewhat for you about Sleep Paralysis episodes and their unique transitional states of consciousness' attributes, both mental and physical.
bubbabak

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
ok yeah good point... i was referring to GBs post at top of this page... anyways.......... fascinating sh*T ..

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I didn't hear any noises that I can recall.....
funny how it hasn't happened since then....

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I experience sleep paralysis last week. It scared me big time. I woke up and I couldn't move my body. I heard a buzzing sound. I didn't dare to open my eyes. I tend to open my eyes a few minutes after I wake up, because the problems of seeing things right after I wake up. The worst part is it felt like something walking on me.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
i first had a sleep paralysis when i was around 10 years old...it was was very terrifying i remember screaming loudly i couldnt move at all i woke up the nextmorning dreading it would happen again but it didnt until recently..

but this recent SP that occured about 2 years ago was quite different i felt quite groggy and fell asleep almost instantly before that i heard the door knob to my room turn slowly the funny thing is one of my brothers in the living room i asked if he turned the door knob he said no... i thought to myself there must have been so sorta unreleased tension on the knob for it to do that..

so i then close my heavy eyes not even asleep..but within minutes of doing that i am still awake and i feel something holding me i am trying to move my arms i can't.. i try to open my eyes but its as if something is holding them shut i try waking myself i am totally aware whats going on i am saying to myself something has got me i dont know what the hell it is.. but whatever it is its bad!!!!

i then starting praying to god to help me wake up and instantly i am able to open my eyes and move from whatever it was that had me...

i beleive in other life forms in the universe but what attacked me was no alien lifeform...a demon most likely or some kind of wraith like creature yes..

this is coming from someone who doesnt go to church and someone who believes that man is the one judging anyone as of late look at the legal system everyones out for revenge now...there is no such thing as justice in the world we live in today...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This SP might be the begginings of an OOBE. When this hapens agian, try lifting out of your body. Since you can't move, you might as well try to do something productive with it. Since you can't move, It might be easier to have an OOBE

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yeah, I absolutely believe that an other form of SP could be related to the process in which OBEs are achieved. Needless to say, there different forms of SP & distinguishing between them isn't very difficult @ all.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I never tried to do OBE, sence I don't know how to do that. I had a more scary about parelysis three years ago. I was sound alseep and then I suddenly woke up. I didn't want to open my eyes. I can feel my whole body vibrating. It felt like something was on my chest and someone chocking me. I wanted to scream for help as loud as I can, to wake up my roomate. After I regain the movement of my body, I open my eyes and saw something very scary. I saw something that looked like a demon. It was red. It was there a few seconds dispeared. I don't take drugs and I am a pretty heathy person. I think that night, I must of got attacked in my SP by some kind of spirit thing.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
i dunno if this has much similarities to any of you guys stories... but this is what use to happen to me...

it happened more frequently years ago, i cant recall it happening lately, maybe once or twice. I'm laying in my bed like usual trying to get to sleep, i'm the only one in the room, im still fully conscience, been laying in bed for about 5minutes, not really that tired, but still trying to get to sleep, then suddenly, with my warning my head begins to feels like its throbing, its not painful at all... and theres a noise with it, probably best described as fuzzy quick heart beats, i can still see at this stage, visual is as usual just black... well ofcorse my eyes are closed, and theres like a slight circlular line of haze ground my vision, kinda whitish, then the circle kind of pulses with the sounds of the 'fuzzy heart beat'. I remember it quite clearly because it would of happen to me over 100 times. Then after there was about 5-6-7 pulses(only lasting about 3-4seconds), i go into a lucid dream.
I cant really remember when it started, and didnt think much of it at the time. I was probably like 8-13 years old or something when it happened heaps. i soon learnt that whenever these pheonomia occrued i would go into a dream(lucid i think). At the time i had a really... really bad fear of aliens, and i always had nightmares about them. so whenever these 'pulses/throbes' occured, i just opened my eyes and didnt go into the dream... depsite the fact i knew i was in a dream, i was just that scared i had to wake up.
kinda wierd, i wish it still happened to me today frequenctly so i could explore it further.

no sleep paralysis that i can remember... but the topic just reminded me of it!

(edited) sry, i was just thinking about it, and i got pritty much an exact sound, you know when your turn your tv on? especially older tv's, and it makes that sound? last for about a second, the "cheee" kinda sounds, i think it even happens on computer monitors if they've been turned off for ages. well thats the exact sound. any clues of what it is? is it related to static? or something?

[edit on 12/17/2004 by cheeser]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I had sleep paralysis a couple of time in the past few years.

But the strangest sleep paralysis was a lucid dream hybrid.

All I know was, after I woke up from a dream, I soon realize I was in another dream, only this time I was aware I was sleeping and that I couldn't move my dream body, and I try moving my physical body but that didnt work either, everything that happened to my dream body, happened in my physical body, like sweating, burning feeling, panic, fastbeating heart, and I saw two hooded being, one pointing their long skinny finger at me, it know one was a merky red and another a merky yellow, like earthtone like colors. When I closed my eyes in my dream, and opened I was in my physical body, in the same position and like i said everything happend as it did. I figured it was a dream because alot of things were blurry to me at night, like this PS2 box, I couldnt make out the sign. Hey It might not be a dream but it could.

The lastest Sleep Paralysis was my first OBE, I kinda got out of it, I dont know how but I managed, and i forced my way up, against some other force that felt it was pulling me down, i dont know its really werid. And then I was overing and stuff, and decided to get back in my body.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I had SP last year during an intense time of research involving intelligence officers/aliens. I was working on abduction stuff and was successfully weeding out another Goa'uld who was working the online discussion groups and paranormal orgs ect.
Can't remember the time i woke but the bedroom lights were on for filming purposes due to recent abduction stuff, and video and audio recording had finished due to equipment being limited to 1hr.
I felt a small childlike hand across my mouth and awoke thinking one of my grandkids had come into my room and were trying to get me up or summit, But I was being held down by a "shadow person" just above me to my right side who was holding me down by my shoulder, and the hand belonged to a "shadow person?" behind me/my bed. I really thought i was going to die of suffocation and struggled to move violently shaking from side to side and trying to kick out, eventually jumping up gasping for air!
My mouth felt sore as if i'd really had a hand squeezing against my mouth and my gold chain had left an inprint on the left of my neck and shoulder (still got some photos of this)
I was scared #less and I didn't sleep for about 4 days after this and even installed a hidden camera in my bedroom to go with the video cam and tape recorder which now cover the whole night, recording to the hard drive of a spare computer.
These days i don't have a lot going on, but i know that the more involved in research i get! the more things will happen.
Im thinkin that i only had this SP because of what i was doing, I've had close workmates bumped off for less. Let's face it who would have given a #e if some ufo nut died in his sleep? they silenced diana didn't they!

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
i also have sleep peralysis last time i had it was one night i woke up in the middle of the night i couldnt move or breath the covers were over my nose and mouth and that gave me even more difficulty breathing i couldnt move my legs or arms my vision was starting to blacken it was aready dark since it was night since the covers were over my nose and mouth and i aready couldnt breath i fainted and i saw a bright light and nothing i woke up the next morning and told my mom and told my friends at school about it everyone didnt believe me.i got mad.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well, needless to say gentlemen and or ladies, next time you have an SP experience and you don't feel anything "ill" about it, I would encourage you to try to explore the more outter regions of your mind or even perhaps attempting the OBE experience. I've always felt that the more 'neutral' SP's (the ones w/out any of the "evil" feelings") are some kind of medium, so I would encourage you all to experiment, if you will. I tried it (OBE) yesterday when I SP'd again, but I could feel myself hitting a wall of some sort..I just couldn't get my soul going, but needless to say, it's bound to happen. kudos.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by BadKarmah]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I totally agree, BadKarma: the Sleep Paralysis transitional state of consciousness inherently has several features that make it uniquely qualified as a springboard to much more incredible journeys of the mind.
People, PLEASE......take advantage of we SP/OBE/ASC vets, and the limitless information available with just a few keystrokes and keyword searches and LEARN about the mechanisms that have been well-researched state of consciousness, ok?
I just shake my head in frustration when, response and experience related above shows lazy reasoning and the same surrender to fear that I have to wonder if we've made ANY progress since the Dark Ages when demons, Succubi and Incuubi ruled the Night.
Now, I could write a book, trying to answer, point for point, in the above thread, where several of you have already allowed yourselves to take that huge, intellectual-leap-off-the-cliff-of-REASON and Rationality, and assume some type of creature or entity or demon or Old Hag, attacked you, causing paralysis, the inability to control your breathing and the associated halllucinations, and show you one study after another, using subjects who are unfortunate enough to have recurring Sleep Paralysis episodes under controlled conditions (usually related to, but not exclusively determined by, epilepsy, narcolepsy or related neurological abnormalities) who, step for step, point for point, fear for fear, entity for hallucination, explain in great detail how and why there is every reason to believe that all the now predictable elements of the SP episode recur in amazing similarity, cross-culturally, within and between all socio-economic levels, and why, once understood, can be turned around so that you LOOK FORWARD to the next episode, whereby you can learn to manipulate your visual and auditory surroundings in astonishing and wonderful ways, let alone, use this unique transitional state of consciousness to springboard yourself into a Lucid Dreamstate or, as B adKarmah indicated, use it as the perfect prelude to an OBE.
It took me about 10yrs and 20 episodes (filled with all the fear and creatures you experienced) before I learned how to control my fear (I relaxed and hummed a soothing Grand Funk Railroad tune....some folks pray, others concentrate on moving a toe, or finger....), and got to the point where I realized that some of the neurochemicals associated with dreaming were still active in my brain, while "wide awake" (just as your body remains paralyzed by the REM-based chemicals that keep you from acting out your dreams), and learned how to manipulate my visual field to the most dramatic and entertaining effect!!! For example, I telepathically demanded that my personal, attacking, nocturnal shadow creature move over where I could see him / It , and do an Irish jig for me!! and I'll be damned....he DID! I then turned him into little girl, skipping rope and sucking on a jawbreaker (he didn't like that at all !!!! and ended up having it turn into Donald Duck and had him stand on his bill! Having realized, now, that EVERYTHING I experienced was a direct result of ignorance, fear of the unknown and silly superstition, I proceded to get more and more elaborate in my manipulations of my environment, those next subsequent, all too infrequent, Sleep Paralysis episodes, to the point where I now have a virtual smile on my lips whenever I pop out of REM, realize I can't breathe or move, because I can now use those few minutes to create ANY DAMNED UNIVERSE my imagination can produce, and then, knowing through repetion over the years about when the paralyzing neurochemicals will finally flush out of my system and allow me to move again, I close my eyes and take advantage of the last few minutes of paralysis by relaxing comletely and allowing myself to float up and out, skimming over the trees, scaring an owl or two and doing summersaults at 10,000ft, feeling the moist clouds sprinkling my face and hands as I play SUPPPPERRRRRMAAAAANNNN!!!
Please guys (and gals)....READ any of the dozens of excellent papers now available on the web about the mechanisms involved....you have NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FE......well, you know the drill
Time and again, as you study more and more and read the hundreds of similar stories out there, they are going to tell you essentially the same story as my own: that is....once you understand what's happening, and learn to relax, against all your instincts that tell you to FIGHT IT!!!.....you'll find out, like we have, what a wonderful opportunity the SLeep Paralysis episode is to springboard you off to higher and wonderfully fulfilling new heights of intellectual, emotional and, yes, spiritual, experience.
Nuff said:
bubbabak
here's some links to get you started and feel free to U2U me or email, if you want to discuss it further. Not only am I an experienced OBE'er, Sp'er and dream traveler, but I spent thousands of hours doing experiments on all these unique States of Consiousness in a sleep lab I had control of in college for 3yrs.....leading to the only double major (psychology and Parapsychology) ever awarded by a California University.....so I know each side of the issue intimately, the subject and the scientific. Take advantage of my experience and knowledge....that's what it's there for!
)
B

hXXp://www.paranormalresearchonline.com/articles_10.html
www.psiresearch.org...
www.coasttocoastam.com/guests/663.html
watarts.uwaterloo.ca...
www.stanford.edu...
www.arts.uwaterloo.ca...
sleepparalysis.dnswh.com/what_is_sleep_paralysis.htm
or, monitor alt.dreams alt.dreams.lucid and alt.folklore.ghost-stories....SP is discussed often there.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
wicked post bubba... wish u wud break ur paragraphs down a bit smaller so its less daunting on the old eyballs to start reading?..

hav to go back and read som of those posts.. jus so glad to find loadsa people havin same experiences...

actually i didnt blame aliens or old hags or voodoo etc..... i blamed me, cause it was MY face that apeared in the ball of lites,, not no alien,,,,, (not that blaming anythin is rite, jus for want of words) like i got the feelin i am the one holdin my life back........ wen i woke up n thought about it..

[edit on 093131p://07039 by info_junkee]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I've had SP for 26 years now. It's really declined with perhaps 5-6 episodes per year.

One thing I don't understand is the buzzing sound. I'm not asleep at that point and the buzzing sound is actually painful, like a mild to moderate headache. Then the hypnosis type effect (you are getting sleepy) really kicks in like anesthesia.

So why does the buzzing start before the full SP really kicks in?

Why is the overall feeling of SP evil? I've had only 2 completely bad experiences (being attacked by shadow type things) which went off the evil feeling chart. Being afraid and sensing something evil are two very different things to me. Almost all of my experiences have that something evil is here feeling.

I remember the first time I wasn't afraid and stated that in my mind (I'm not afraid of you). The feeling that I "picked up" was utter shock and I snapped right out of it.

I'm getting to the point where I'm not afraid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join