It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Monitor Decision

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: drewlander

How do you find text at 2K?

I know what you mean about 4K, txt and other apps just don't seem to scale well at all.

Thats why you have hardware scaling in the drivers

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

How do you find text at 2K?

I know what you mean about 4K, txt and other apps just don't seem to scale well at all.

Text is okay depending on the screen size. Its the combination of screen size at 24" and resolution of 1920x1080 that makes it work out. It is slightly smaller text and icons than i prefer, but its much better than what i see on 4k 13.5" screen on my yoga920. With the 24" on 2k it's close enough that I dont need acessibility options for scaling. A 27" monitor would probably bring it back to what i consider perfect but thats too much real estate for my short sitting distance from the screen. Also you can ctrl + scroll in most apps to adjust on demand if necessary. I tweak vscode and notepad++ to 110% sometimes, as needed.

I use a J5create usb-c to hdmi cable to connect my monitor. Just bring in your cable and laptop (if you are using laptop) to bestbuy or office depot and try out whats on display-- they will usually assist with cheerful enthusuasm because their job is otherwise boring.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

OMG, do not get me started on this braindead Windows 10 "enhanced dpi scaling" that broke the hell out of mfc controls starting in the 2017 october creators update, and still doesnt work properly most of the time anyway.

For the most part, 1920x1080 on 24" to 27" screen looks decent.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

OMG, do not get me started on this braindead Windows 10 "enhanced dpi scaling" that broke the hell out of mfc controls starting in the 2017 october creators update, and still doesnt work properly most of the time anyway.

For the most part, 1920x1080 on 24" to 27" screen looks decent.

Dont worry yourself one little bit
Hardware scaling through the driver has nothing to do with Windows
And , being on Windows 10 Insider program I can say good stuff on the way...

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Could certainly be the cheaper option, a TV tray that is, definitely get the Mrs vote.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I failed to differentiate, yes driver side scaling is ok but unecessary on a 24" screen imo.

Im insider too -- the frequency of updates is so irritating. I had to switch my boot order in grub to prefer windows first, otherwise only 1 of 3 reboots would happen overnight and id have to sit through the remaining reboots in the morning before I started working. Also i bashed sets with tabbed windows pretty hard for a number of reasons including alt+tab taking upto 5 seconds to figure out if i was tabbing in the set or a different app entirely. I suggested the sets should be tied to virtual desktops (with a different hotkey to move between them) to eliminate confusion, and to take it a step further they should offer the ability to configure virtual network adapters per desktop for binding apps to different ip's so i could as a developer simulate real client/server activity in testing. A month or two later they came out with disposable apps and scrapped tabbed windows. Im sure other people had issues and that was not entirely me complaining, but I was relieved to see it go and disposable apps introduced in any case.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Looks like it's between the AOC U2879VF and the ASUS MG28UQ.......so far anyway.

Both are 4K 60hz, with seemingly similar characteristics, and are getting ok reviews.

The AOC model is about £100 less than the ASUS. Viewing angle and base are rather basic on the AOC monitor but it will be purchased to be put on a desktop, viewed from a couple of feet away.

Anybody any input or thoughts on the above items?
edit on 26-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   

The contrast ratio on that ASUS is outstanding; 100m:1, versus 50m:1 on the AOC. Im not sure after 1 million it matters since that is likely the dynamic range of your eyes unless you are tetrachromatic, but it sure does look like a sweet ratio.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Yes, I'm liking the ASUS one myself, it's somewhat on the pricey side, but a superior build and functionality.

The AOC U2879VF apparently has some color and oval backlight issues with deep blacks and a TN panel as opposed the ASUS IPS.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I went with the ASUS, got it for £350.

She arrives tomorrow at some point, so i will post my remarks and opinions once its up and running.

Thanks for the input everyone.

posted on Dec, 29 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Received the ASUS MG28UQ yesterday from Currys, delivery time was around 18 hours, which was rather impressive.

The monitor performs better than expected excellent color and sharp dark blacks whilst gaming.

The difference from going from a 1920×1080 display to 4K is quite literally apples and oranges. Especially where desktop real estate is concerned. It required some calibration and settings correction out of the box, but aside from that, I'm rather happy with my purchase so far, definitely impressed.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Looking to upgrade my primary display from my aging AOC 1080p monitor to something more recent and just thought i would see if anybody here had any good recommendations.

us.msi.com...

What I will end up getting after padding my new pc fund.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join