It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq officially makes Christmas Day a national holiday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   

(CNN)The Iraqi Cabinet approved a law to mark Christmas Day, December 25, as an official holiday across the country “on the occasion of the birth of Jesus Christ,” according to a statement released by the Iraqi government.

The Cabinet voted on an amendment to the national holidays law in the country that Christmas Day is a holiday for all Iraqis, and not only for the Christian community, as it had been for decades.”Happy Christmas to our Christian citizens, all Iraqis and to all who are celebrating around the world,” the Iraqi government said on Twitter.Before the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, there were about 1.4 million Christians in the country. However, their numbers have dwindled to roughly 300,000 after hundreds of thousands fled the country following violence and attacks by various armed groups over the years.

Iraq officially makes Christmas Day a national holiday

Something positive for people in this war torn Country, and for others around the World to see some good going around instead of the same old # of yesteryear.

Iraqi town liberated from ISIS holds Christmas service US and Iraqi security forces were on hand to protect churchgoers after ISIS reportedly made threats to attack Bartella.

Peace ...
edit on 25-12-2018 by ViXxeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Christians seem to be having a hard time around the globe in recent years, so this is welcome news.

I'm not a particularly religious person, but I like this,

Merry Christmas my ATS Brothers and Sisters!

🤗 🍻

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Merry Christmas Tribe and all.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ViXxeN

It is good to hear.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Those news vans make me wonder if this was all for optics, but hopefully it is for real. If so, it is good to see the Christians getting some positive news for a change. Other than their proselytizing they are a good bunch of folks.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I don't fully understand why they're doing this, but it's lovely. Let's all decorate a tree and gather around it to sing some songs.
And I feel the magic.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Well, this is good news. Merry Christmas ATS, and Iraq!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Many branches of Islam revere Jesus as an authentic prophet, a fore-runner of the final prophet (Mohammad).

The Qur'an affirms that Jesus, "the living word", was born of the Virgin Mary.

His birth from a virgin is a prototype, of Mahammad receiving the revelation of Qur'an while being illiterate.

Most Muslims hold December 25 as a holy day anyway; this law is merely codifying the fact.

Islam is not what you are told in the media. Neither is Christianity, for that matter

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I enjoyed the article too.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

Merry Christmas to you! It's just nice to see people get along isn't it.
edit on 25-12-2018 by ViXxeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Nice.

Now if they will accept non-religious.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Or people of other faiths.
Pastafarians are discriminated against in most places around the world.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Christians seem to be having a hard time around the globe in recent years, so this is welcome news.

I think we can safely say, Muslims are having a harder time, Far Harder.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Oh seriously, how so? Details please.

posted on Jan, 1 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

Not what they say in the media? It isn't a very peaceful misunderstood religion?

new topics

top topics

join