It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Eve Stock Market Crash Maga Edition.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Was there a definition in there somewhere? If there was, I missed it.

Define 'free market' and we can discuss it.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

www.investopedia.com...

The free market is an economic system based on supply and demand with little or no government control. It is a summary description of all voluntary exchanges that take place in a given economic environment. Free markets are characterized by a spontaneous and decentralized order of arrangements through which individuals make economic decisions. Based on its political and legal rules, a country’s free market economy may range between very large or entirely black market.

www.investopedia.com...

Capitalism is an economic system in which capital goods are owned by private individuals or businesses. The production of goods and services is based on supply and demand in the general market (market economy), rather than through central planning (planned economy or command economy). The purest form of capitalism is free market or laissez-faire capitalism, in which private individuals are completely unrestrained in determining where to invest, what to produce or sell and at which prices to exchange goods and services, operating without checks or controls. Most modern countries practice a mixed capitalist system of some sort that includes government regulation of business and industry.

we do not have either a free market or system of capitalism we have a centrally planned economy by the Fed and kensyian government

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well, now that you folks have seen what a trollish uniformed user with severe TDS looks like, perhaps we can be better by not feeding it.

It's amazing to see someone so triggered by the Orange One.

Seriously, how does it operate? A damn shame too.

I DON'T WISH the OP a Merry Christmas, rather, I wish you a quiet and dull day filled with alcohol, salt and tears.

Carry on 👇

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: St Udio

I'm pretty sure the DOW is only 1% point away from actually being in an official bear market and all the other index are well into it

oddly enough silver and gold just start moving sometime around last week, if you are holding mining stocks you should be doing ok right now

funny thing on mining-stock Funds

in Y2k I bought into SCGDX, a scudder fund specializing in PM Mining stocks... in 2017 that Fund went belly up & the stocks were divvied up into all the other Funds

my forced Liquidation was put into a BS Fund for 'Real Assets" AAASX
which quickly lost mega bucks.... I then rolled over to a MAJOR Gold Mining Fund (holding some $2BN in value) ---> the Fund Quickly re-aligned itself into 'cyclical' equities and divvied the Gold Stock holdings to other Funds in the Family of Vungnard Crappola Funds thus leaving me holding a couple stacks of worthless shares in my ROTHAcct in 2018

so for 18 years I bought gold mining shares and in months the big/Major Family-of-Multi-Trillion$-Funds left me & thousands of former Gold Miner Stocks standing there holding crap paper in place of the Gold Stocks that are long overdue to explode in value just as they did by 500% in the 2011-2013 years

organized and sanctioned corruption abounds ! in favor of the Big Entities

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Thank you, although I was asking for your definition, not someone else's.

According to that, no, the stock market is not 'free market,' nor has it ever been. Nor would I want it to be. Nor could it be.

That does not mean it does not respond to supply and demand, however. It certainly does. The more attractive a stock, and the less stock is available, the higher the price. That's why stocks fluctuate. The government regulations only serve to either enhance or detract from a company's perceived value as an investment.

I am a bit confused over your position. You seem to think that a free market is a good idea, but a free market, according to your definition cannot co-exist with government regulations, by definition. President Trump has effectively cut more government regulations than any President in memory. Yet, your previous posts indicate you oppose President Trump's actions. isn't that a bit contradictory?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
a reply to: soundguy

Awesome. Now is the time to buy. Thanks Trump for this Christmas Gift.

If you're investing in US funds, now is not the time to buy. It'll drop a good 10% or more yet.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Merry Christmas!

I try to avoid thinking about politics or presidents as much as possible but I really hope he stops tweeting about monetary policy, investments, the Federal Reserve and the "market."

He is absolutely F'ing with my investments right now and I hope he takes the New year "off" from tweeting about money.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I call this the crazy democrat sell-off. I warned people to get their money out if the dems won until we see if they are going to behave rationally. See, the two months prior to November the market shed 6%, which is pretty normal and cyclical. But then the dems won the house and since then the market has shed 16%.

The idea that this has much to do with trump is laughable. Tariffs? Began at the beginning of the year, the market rallied. Trade war? Been going on for 18 months, market hasn't cared. Fed raising rates? Maybe a factor but no reasonable person can say that a rate raise from 2.25% to 2.5% is reason for a 15% selloff in less than 8 weeks.

But dems winning the house? Well that stops all republican progress on the economy. That introduces instability (afterall, they campaigned on making sure there was no stability). The fact that the dems wouldn't agree to a measly 5 billion for border security and would shut the government down over 0.12% of the federal budget proved that they are in this for destruction, nothing less.

So blame trump all you want, actual analysts know why the market is plunging and it's not him or what he's done in the last few months.

Dems crashed the economy last time they got some levers of power and they're trying that strategy again. Afterall, why wouldn't they? It got them the furthest left president they've had since the great depression (weird how dems are all over these collapses and pathetic recoveries while instituting big government "solutions" that have indebted and enslaved the populace).
edit on 25-12-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I wonder if you cared if he stopped tweeting about those same things when the market was up 30% in 2017 and another 10% mid way through 2018.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Market goes up steadily...

Trump fanatics - OMG see? SEE?! Trump is amazing for the economy!! Go Trump!

Market dumps eradicating two years of gains...

Trump fanatics: - Pffft Democrats! Don't you know the definition of a free market? Has nothing to do with Trump...

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

You're not paying attention. But this is not a surprise:

This isn't about Trump As usual, it is about the Fed.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

You're not paying attention. But this is not a surprise:

This isn't about Trump As usual, it is about the Fed.

Yea.. right, sure.. wasn't about the Fen when going up, it was only Trump and his policies. Market crashes (in light of his inane comments which did nothing to encourage the market), and.. it's everyone but Trump. Par for the course. All pro media = truth. All negative media = fake. All gains, profits, growth = Trump is great. All losses = It's everyone else's fault.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Dude.

Spend more time reading and less time opining on things you don't understand.

Being a contrarian from a position of ignorance just makes responding tiresome.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: fencesitter85

originally posted by: highvein

Awesome. Now is the time to buy. Thanks Trump for this Christmas Gift.

If you're investing in US funds, now is not the time to buy. It'll drop a good 10% or more yet.

It's all about the bounce.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I hope the down movement continues for the remainder of this year. Buying a little at a time, instead of trying to guess when the bottom will be reached, and buying a ton of shares, is probably the smart thing to do this week.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Yea.. right, sure.. wasn't about the Fen when going up

Yep, because the fed has been raising rates the whole time. So how could they be credited when they were taking actions that were meant to slow growth?

it was only Trump and his policies.

No, it was republicans and their policies as well as trump. Those policies inspired confidence which led to spending which led to profits which led to stock market gains.

Market crashes (in light of his inane comments which did nothing to encourage the market), and.. it's everyone but Trump.

I'm willing to blame trump. All you have to do is show me what he did that caused it? What changed with trump at the beginning of november?

All pro media = truth.

Nope, lots of fake articles out there, in fact there is a whole movement of fake news on the right with the Q conspiracy.

All negative media = fake.

Again, Nope. There are many critical articles out there of trump that aren't fake. Fake news is made up, not politically opposing news. They can do all of the spinning they want, that's fine, it's fake news when they make it up (like the koi incident in japan or the kid dying because ICE = bad!).

All gains, profits, growth = Trump is great.

Yes, the president tends to get a lot of credit when we have gains profit and growth. Are you new to politics? But in reality, no it's not all because of trump. It's mostly because of republicans including trump.

All losses = It's everyone else's fault.

If a ball is cruising along through the air and someone snatches it, was it the person who threw the ball who is at fault for it getting caught?

The reason people don't jump to blame the president in down markets is because it's not a real solution. We want the problem solved so we can get back to gains profits and growth. Again, if you can show me a policy trump implemented that led to this, I'm ok with blaming him, that way we can fix it. I'll wait.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I put in my buy order saturday, went through monday at close (glorious!). I'll buy again at the end of this week and maybe a little more after new years. I had some dry powder I threw in about 8% ago as well. Just cost average down as long as you can if you can hold for more than a few years.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

how can you be confused on my position?

you asked what I thought capitalism and free markets were and I gave you proper examples based on what our academic communities think of those issues

you need to step back and realize that capitalism and free markets do not apply to our system and stop making arguments that pretend they do

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

We absolutely have both a free market and capitalism. As this lays bare, it's not a purely capitalist economy nor is it a purely free market (see FDA, FTC, EPA, etc). But that doesn't mean it's not a capitalist economy or a free market.

We do not have a centrally planned economy. You ought to look up what that is. We also don't really practice Keynesian (that's how it's spelled, it's named after John Keynes) economics either. At least the republicans try not to. The dems love keynes because he was a big government guy (well, not really, he was anti-big govt but he made some concessions to govt as a necessary evil and the left perverts those into him being a big govt guy).

ETA: Keynes was a capitalist economist. So this idea that we employ his capitalist theories as well as not practicing capitalism is just hilarious.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

why don't you link the quote from my post and show me....

with little or no government control

little or no government control

The production of goods and services is based on supply and demand in the general market (market economy), rather than through central planning (planned economy or command economy).

how is the Fed not central planning with it's debt schemes and centralization of currency?

come on. I appreciate that you will actually take on the topic and not the individual but I need you to refute these key points with data

you know the Fed is a centralized currency management system and that's not free market in and of itself. in a truly free market economy I could develop my own banking and currency system and introduce it into the community via my own means
edit on 25-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join