It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood using war movies as propaganda...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
conspiracyplanet.com...

Ive always said it....All of these big blockbuster war movies are tools for the government to glorify war and to bring pro war sentiment to its people....they use the pasts tragedies to promote an unjust cause of the present

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Since the first filmaker sold a ticket it has been known that movies are big big money. They are tools to rake in the cash. And to rake in the cash they put in what people want to see. whether that's naked women, over the top explosions, rap/pop stars who can't act or any number of current fads. If they think it's going to get you to buy a ticket it's in.

As for a point made by the article in your link,
"Remember Steven Spielberg's D-Day spectacular 'Saving Private Ryan'? Someone simply forgot that 72,000 British and Canadian troops were also involved."

This is true, but even though I'm not a big fan of the movie, I will say this, SPR was not an epic "Longest Day" type movie. It told the fictional story of a squad sent to find a soldier. What did that have to do with the British, Canadian and French forces? If it was meant to be a all encompasing D-Day epic like "The Longest Day" then leaving them out would have been a grievous error but as it focuses on a small group and their struggle onto the beach and later to find Ryan this is not needed. They also didn't show any of the American fighting on Utah beach. So one could argue that as well. But again it had nothing to do with the story being presented.

The Scenes of the D-Day landing are given to introduce the viewer to this particular group of soldiers and their ordeals landing on the beach. What would showing the American actors and cutting to the British or Canadian's landing have to do with them? I will agree that movies that show the full scope are indeed great and illustrate the huge effort put forth by all the nations involved, but why would Spielberg spend the huge amount of money needed to speerately film actors dressed as British or Canadians and with British weapons/equipment if it doesn't add anything to the small story he's trying to show? It's all about scale.

The main reason I don't like SPR is because of all the goofs made in the film. From historical blunders to being able to see the camera crew in some shots, it ruins it for me. Facts were altered, but as I said I think this was intended to make it more appealing to audiences and therefore make more money thant a propaganda tool. And it made millions so it worked. If you want further example of changing history for profit watch the movie "Pearl Harbor". Movie makers have no problem changing facts or over dramatizing things because even it it might turn the stomach of those of us in the know, it's entertaining to most people and it sells.

In the end though a movie is just that, a movie. It's not called a documentary and people shouldn't take movies as historical fact. Movies are made to entertain not educate. If you want to learn the real facts read a book. If you want to spend too much money on popcorn and watery soda, go to the movies.

[edit on 26-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veltro
As for a point made by the article in your link,
"Remember Steven Spielberg's D-Day spectacular 'Saving Private Ryan'? Someone simply forgot that 72,000 British and Canadian troops were also involved."

they took different beaches, mind you. they wouldnt have seen each other if they looked down the beach. the movie took a more personal aspect following one particular squad, and it just wouldnt add anything to the movie if they showed the canadians, the brits, and the french points of view in the conflict

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
So can I sue hollywood for anti-war and anti-government propaganda? This whole issue just seems asinine. Let people tell their stories and voice their opinions, because somewhere out there, there's always going to be someone disagreeing. Seems like hollywood is fighting against freedom of speech and press.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
So can I sue hollywood for anti-war and anti-government propaganda? This whole issue just seems asinine. Let people tell their stories and voice their opinions, because somewhere out there, there's always going to be someone disagreeing. Seems like hollywood is fighting against freedom of speech and press.

My point exactly. Filmmakers only have 1.5 - 2 hours to cram in their artistic vision, Not everything can get put in, and I'm sure they are also required to PC things up abit. They story has to be stuck to in order to complete it in the time alloted. This is why they make dvds with cut/extended footage, ever see one? sometimes alot of interesting scenes don't make it, though usually the are crap. lol. Alot of times good stuff is cut simply because there is no time for it or it doesn't further the story.

For every movie that comes out there is going to be somone with their own personal agenda combing over every scene looking for injustice and hidden innuendo. I remember people complaining there were conspiracy because there were no blacks in the movie Titanic. Well unless I'm wrong there weren't any blacks on the actual Titanic, this was Edwardian England in 1912 afterall. Myself I'd rather complain about snafus that actually lower my personal enjoyment of a film, wrong equipent, messed up ranks, aircraft that shouldn't be doing what they are doing, historical goofs and crappy filiming. It's those that kinda ruin SVP with me not any sort of propaganda.

Most major movies are made in America, and to please the vast majority most of these movies are going to feature Americans. Joe average doesn't want to see Tommies fighting it out at Dunkirk he wants to see G.I.s. I'd like to see both, but I don't buy enough movie tickets to count. So if they have to switch
around the whole enigma thing in u507 or whatever that was to Americans finding it, and throw in Danny Wahlberg they are going to cause that what people want to see. Another good potential ruined, Pearl Harbor, we get to see affleck and buddie damon spend most of the movie teasing and pleasing the nurse or whatever she was. I don't want sex in a war movie! But IT SELLS!

Another point I heard about SVP how the family at the begining was of the perfect blonde hair bluie eyed aryan type. OMG! I mean come one, I know plenty of families like that. Blonde haired blue eye models are usually popular too, is that an aryan conspiracy?

There's always going to be people combing thru every frame of a movie to spot some sort of unjustice. Like the old saying goes, if you look hard enough you will start seeing anything you want to see." It's all about the greenbacks folks not Uncle Sam. So quit worrying, chill ou,t use your noodle when watching a movie and remember, it's just entertainment. I think I'm going to go watch a dvd now.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Another point I heard about SVP how the family at the begining was of the perfect blonde hair bluie eyed aryan type. OMG! I mean come one, I know plenty of families like that. Blonde haired blue eye models are usually popular too, is that an aryan conspiracy?

aryan conspiracy?!!!! i dont think that was the intention....political propaganda it may be but i dont think the movies intention was to support hitlers insane ambitions....Do you? i wasnt quite sure how you meant what you said but either way my opinion is coincidence.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_
Ive always said it....All of these big blockbuster war movies are tools for the government to glorify war and to bring pro war sentiment to its people....they use the pasts tragedies to promote an unjust cause of the present

Thanks for the information Captain Obvious.

jk

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You're absolutely right.

The hollywood warmongering fascists like Michael Moore, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn et.al. ad nauseam are nothing but stooges for Dubya and Kkkorporate Amerikkka.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
You're absolutely right.

The hollywood warmongering fascists like Michael Moore, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn et.al. ad nauseam are nothing but stooges for Dubya and Kkkorporate Amerikkka.

LMAO!!! ROFL!!! That was the funniest thing I've seen on ATS today.
OMG

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

All of these big blockbuster war movies are tools for the government to glorify war and to bring pro war sentiment to its people

Erm...what? So thousands of troops falling victim to several machine guns is going to make you want to send your children off to war? Great logic
!

I would agree that most Hollywood war movies tend to favor the Americans. However, there are a few exceptions. Take "The Patriot" for example. England was winning nearly every battle -- save the last where they defeat General Cornwallis.

Some Hollywood movies even go as far as to lie...I mean...exaggerate... to make sure the storyline is more enticing

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
They make what the consumers want. Patriotic Americans like movies that glorify America so that's what they make. I tend to stick to sci-fi themed American movies and Japanese, S. Korean, Taiwanese, Indian, Euro and Chinese movies for everything else. I used to mainly watch US movies but i got sick of them for various reasons including self glorification and the stereotypes that are often portrayed.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Trent]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Take "The Patriot" for example. England was winning nearly every battle --

Ummm.....i think cuz thats what really happened...you know....historically.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by _Uforia_]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ah, the Glory and Splendor of War!!

Excuse me, but where is the glory of war in Saving Private Ryan or Platoon? In fact, would you PLEASE point to JUST ONE movie made within the past thirty years that really glorifies war? (Okay, there's Patton, but that was one man's interrpretation of war. Patton really did love war.)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
Ah, the Glory and Splendor of War!!

Excuse me, but where is the glory of war in Saving Private Ryan or Platoon? In fact, would you PLEASE point to JUST ONE movie made within the past thirty years that really glorifies war? (Okay, there's Patton, but that was one man's interrpretation of war. Patton really did love war.)

Agreed! I didn't see anything glorifying in Apocolypse Now either. Besides, if that "propaganda" as you call it actually worked, we'd all be in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't find these movies propaganda, as viewers we are responsible for synthesizing the information anyway

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by livinlife
I don't find these movies propaganda, as viewers we are responsible for synthesizing the information anyway

I think that is the best point in the thread.

There's nothing particularly inaccurate about Saving Private Ryan anyway. If you wanted a film as an example, pick U-571, the movie about how Enigma was captured from the Germans. The film is all Americans, but the original operation was all British. Not sure but they might have even done it before the US had entered the war.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The real battleground is in the kids cartoon arena. Movies are more of an ongoing maintenance effort. Cartoons are laced with NWO agenda items geared towards desensitizing kids to chip implants, cloning, genetic tampering, and continual surveillance. Watch for yourself...and be surprised...the days of Bugs and Daffy chasing each other around are long gone...

Acceptance is the thought of the day...it is the thought requirement. Acceptance of lifestyles, ambigous morals, the end justifing the means, torture is good, and the government is God. Of course this does not apply to accpetance of Christians...Christians are nuts.

Then there's Focus on the Family...maybe they're on to something...

"Dobson now claims that SpongeBob SquarePants, Elmo, Jimmy Neutron, Big Bird and other characters are being used by a gay advocacy group in a conspiracy to promote homosexuality to children. "

www.asuwebdevil.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Lately CBC latenight movies have all had war as their theme... WW2 etc.. Braveheart... I found it pretty interesting...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_Ive always said it....All of these big blockbuster war movies are tools for the government to glorify war and to bring pro war sentiment to its people....they use the pasts tragedies to promote an unjust cause of the present

Hollywood has been used for propaganda as long as it exists, and this goes way beyond war films.

top topics

join