It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the wall stop illegals?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It may be as effective as the great wall of China was in keeping the Mongols out, or the walls of Troy were in keeping the greeks out. But on second thought, it is likely that it would not even be nowhere near as effective as those two examples were.

But it sure would be a cool thing to have around, just so you can point at it, and look at, maybe even take a few selfies by it. Or maybe as a tourist attraction. Though in reality with all the billions spent you will likely end up with a waist high chain link fence that is neither impressive or effective.

Ah thats the beauty of politics. Is that thinks kind of get accomplished.

But then again, eh why not. Walls? Why not. We need more walls around here anyways, I mean do we really want to be the only civilization that did not build a kick ass wall?

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: JAGStorm
BTW, I'm all for a wall, I like defined spaces, but I think we are putting way too much focus on a barrier, and not the root cause why people will do anything to come here.

Furthermore, illegal immigration from Mexico, and even from all of South and Central America combined is less than illegal immigration from China.

mmmmm...I don't think so.

These numbers are from 2014 but I would think them to be relative to some degree.

The majority of illegal immigrants are Mexicans (52% in 2014), though those numbers have been declining in recent years; others come from Asia, Central America, and sub-Saharan Africa.[4] In 2005, according to a Pew Hispanic Center report, there were about 6,840,000 illegal immigrants from Mexico making 56% of immigrants present in the United States illegally. 24% were from other Latin American countries; 9% were from Asia, 6% from Europe and Canada, and the remaining 4% from the rest of the world.[16] In 2014, the Pew Hispanic Center estimated that the illegal immigrant population from Mexico had reduced to 5.6 million or 49% of the illegal immigrant population.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Why do some people not want those from other countries to go through the legal process of citizenship? Why do they want people who don't want to obey our laws to just walk in? Are some laws okay to break? And if so, which ones, and where do we draw the line? Or is the line up to the individual and their feelings? A wall is a deterrent at the very least. If you don't think it'll stop some of them, then you're not being honest with yourself. Why are some so against coming in the legal way?

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Will the wall stop illegals... no. Well, unless they do not know how to climb or burrow.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

@Will the wall stop illegals?

Probably some of the poor illegals, but those who can afford to may still enter through the Atlantic or Pacific regions or CANADA...

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

How will a miltbillion dollar wall with armed patrol be cost effective? Do you have any non-bias numbers?

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

How will a miltbillion dollar wall with armed patrol be cost effective? Do you have any non-bias numbers?

The US is spending 135 billion on illegals in the US now.

If a wall reduces those costs, then it would pay for itself.

But you probably don't care about the 135 billion in welfare for illegal aliens, you just want to panic over the 5 billion for proposed spending on the wall.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
send a airbag auto inflatable landing pad to the USA side and charge a flat fee.

Ladder company stocks are going up...Werner is looking bullish

portable plasma cutters price drop is expected for 2019

edit on 26-12-2018 by dojozen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: blueman12

The US is spending 135 billion on illegals in the US now.

If a wall reduces those costs, then it would pay for itself.

But you probably don't care about the 135 billion in welfare for illegal aliens, you just want to panic over the 5 billion for proposed spending on the wall.

Government will not reduce spending, they never do, that 135 billion will increase by the cost of maintaining and guarding.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Costs may not go down, true that.

But we need to stop the roughly 2,000 illegals that cross our borders every day.

A wall is a good barrier.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Well see how effective it is if and when it's built.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I don't have any opinions on the wall, but I know that I would find it harder to cross an open space, than one with a fence.

I mean, fences even keep people out of other peoples gardens.

So I don't think it will stop everyone, but it will stop a lot.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Lol. No, the wall wouldn’t work. Unless it was dug a good 100 feet underground with sensors every 50 feet to detect tunneling below that. It might work if it was made of steel and coated with an electrical impulse that would fry anyone who got close to it. It might also work if it had an Iron dome type system with mounted turrets meant to shoot down unidentified aircraft.

Even if it had all that, it would be a complete waste of money and effort. Let’s say Trump gets his $5 billion. That only completes a small portion of it. The next democratic president will immediately destroy the fence and cut funding. It would never last; not this day in age.

I believe that we need better border security. But a fence or a wall is not the answer.
edit on 26-12-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You realize if a wall stops one person, it worked.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Hey man don't be so sure.

Hungary built a fence

en.wikipedia.org...

Check out the reductions they had.

Attempted border entries have fallen since the barrier was constructed. During the month of September 2015 there was a total number of 138,396 migrant entries, and within the first two weeks of November the average daily number of intercepted migrants decreased to only 15, which is a daily reduction of more than 4,500

Although in my previous post it might seem like i'm joking, but i'm not really. You walking about is the same as anyone else walking about. Barriers are effective.
edit on 26-12-2018 by Assemble because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dojozen

Indians should have built a wall.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Assemble
might turn out in a 100 years, Mexico is the one trying to keep the united states out of Mexico...tide is always turning,.

edit on 26-12-2018 by dojozen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dojozen

might turn out in a 100 years, Mexico is the one trying to keep the united states out of Mexico...tide is always turning,.

Another reason Mexico should pay.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join