It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My back was soaked in blood - Scars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Scars don't define you, or describe you.

They're just scars.

And to make you feel better, he is eligible for parole in 2052.

He will be 117 then.

Not for that stuff, but I'll take that as a win since I never got the chance to kill him.

edit on 23-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I can relate to being injured on the job and being "forced" to work the rest of your shift.

I was 17, working under the table as a butcher's assistant while living on the streets of Seattle. The butcher left me to finish his work and I didn't really have much experience. I had to cut some frozen hunks of beef into slices using a Hobart slicing machine. The chunks of meat were too long to fit on the tray and use the guard, I didn't think to cut them down to size, instead I just used my hand to hold the meat in place while the machine did the slicing. At some point, the machine jammed and my hand slid into the blade, the spinning slicer caught my thumb and flung my entire hand up into the air. I didn't feel a thing, but noticed that the entire wall behind the machine was sprayed with beet-red blood in the glorious style of a Jackson Pollock painting.

That's when I realized something was wrong. I looked at my thumb and the entire bottom half was hanging down all the way to the knuckle- the blade had just missed the bone but had cleanly sliced thumb meat below it. I gasped, and ran to the sink and ran hot water on it... then grabbed the first aid kit- it contained scissors and a few loose band-aids. So, I grabbed the cleanest rag I could find and wrapped the nearly severed thumb as tightly as I could. I told the owner of the grocery store what happened, but he just told me in broken English, "You finish job". Which I did.

Then I took the bus to the doctor's office where they put steri-strips on the wound to hold it shut and sent me home. Within a week I was completely paralyzed (lasted for nearly a year), possibly due to the cut (GB Syndrome). I could have/should have sought legal advice, but I was young and dumb, just grateful to still have my thumb.

edit on 12232018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

They're just scars.

He will be 117 then.

Not for that stuff, but I'll take that as a win since I never got the chance to kill him.

Big time respect...no wonder I always dig your posts, your life experiences would crumble most, kudos to maintaining your sanity, dignity and grace.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

What the heck, I'll play along.

The most important scar, for many reasons, is not a scar exactly but a deformity?
Years ago, I took one significant blow to my face and it shattered my cheekbone and eye socket. It took weeks to recover, very difficult to hide. I am very careful about any, if any, photos that I am in and that is my vanity for sure.
There are angles. make up and such that one can become quite skilled at...I was never symmetrical and as I age, it (the damage) becomes more obvious and prominent. At some point, I suppose, it would be nice to have it "fixed" but, it becomes less important over time to me.

The mental and emotional scar left from the injury is something that I don't truly regret (?) anymore. It was part of shaping who I am today and made me stronger and I decided at that moment that I would not allow anyone to hurt me or anyone else that I love ever again.

Any other scars pale in comparison to that one, for me. That one was life changing and in a bizarre and awful way...I am grateful in the end.

Every time that I look in the mirror, I sort of relive it but so does the person who caused it...every time they look at me.

Two separate halves of a whole...

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Okay, I'll play.

Too many scars to mention, but a couple stand out (memory wise). One I get reminded of every time I get a haircut. It's a scar which runs diagonally from my temple to the top of the back of my head. Got scalped by the roof of a Toyota pickup truck when I went end over end about 4 times in a wreck. Took (3) surgeries and 750 stitches to fix that one. Smashed my left hand putting it through the dashboard in the same crash (bones hanging out...they said I'd never type again...type 65wpm now). Spent a couple weeks in ICU on that deal (14 broken ribs, bruised heart, dislocated elbow and a ruptured spleen). Tore the seat belt clean out of the mounting where it bolted into the floor, and bent the steering wheel around the column like a taco.

The other one is a vertical scar on the bridge of my nose by my eye. Was cutting down a 100 foot standing dead pine tree in an area where there'd been an oilfield blowout. It was getting late, already dark, and I was in a hurry. Made numerous potentially fatal mistakes in my haste, and they all ganged up on me and nearly cost me big. Wedged the tree and was making the back-cut when the stump blew out. Tree was coming my way, and I tripped and fell down (didn't cut an escape route - mistake #25). Was laying on my back struggling to get up all while watching the tree come down on top of me. Got up partially, and hooked my boot in some cut limbs (mistake #97) and fell back down again. Tree fell right on top of me! If it wouldn't have been for two logs I'd fallen in between that tree would have crushed me. I was young and crazy...and mad, so I got up, picked up my chainsaw and cut up the tree. We loaded it on a trailer and both me and my buddy headed for the bar in town.

Epilogue - Heh, walked in the back door of the bar and up to the bar when this gal on the other side of the bar let out this blood curdling scream pointing my general direction and then promptly barfed. Bartender spun around and sort of gasped and said I probably should go to the bathroom and look in the mirror (which I did). My entire face and shirt was completely covered in blood (I thought it was just sweat), and I had about a 1" diameter piece of a broken branch sticking out of my face right between my eyes! Never felt a thing when it happened, the adrenaline of the tree falling on me must have made me not even notice it. It was dark, and my buddy's truck didn't have a dome light, so he never saw it either.

I still feel sorry for that poor gal. Must have looked like Jack the Ripper / Frankenstein walked in the door that night!

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

as you were :

A - working

B - dealing with the public

C - handling food

i am struggling to think what relevant laws were not broken during this incident

if i had witnessed your treatment - i would have called 999 police AND paramedic - just to cause the biggets crapstorm i could on your boss

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   
my scrars annd damages are to numerous to list - and some i dont ever discuss - even pseudo anonymously

but - there was one [ now obliterated by a later wound ]

a triangular " entry wound " - that i was able to pass off as a GSW - as my real GSW was very unimpressive - and almost invisible

the real tail behind it - was " creative course navigation " during a schools cross country championship

for the event in question - the course was " fluid " - more akin to a point to point than a fixed course - with waystations that we had to check in at or be disqualified - but apart from that - as long as all other rules were followed - how we got from one waystation to the next was upto us

the section that was my downfall [ literally ] was negotiating a wood - through which a culvert ran - it was judged " uncrossable " - and the accepted route was to run 300m down one babk - cross a footbridge - then back up thje other bank

simples

till i spotted a concrete slab - jutting out over the 8m drop to the water course

i can jump that i told myself

so i did

i landed " perfectly " on the far bank

then it all went wrong

at this point - i discovered that the slope i had landed on was ash and clinker - and loose - very loose

my feet imediatly went from under me - and i hit the ground hard - hace down -

this was when my thigh " discovered " the peices of rebar - that were supposed to stabilise the slope

i was now impalled by my leg - on a 40cm peice of corroded metal - that was now snapped off

clawing my way up - without falling - was a nightmare - but i did it - and had - with the very pissed off assistance of competitors from an arch rival school - hop // hobbled to the next way point - with the mettal still in my leg

and leaking

the steward was my house master - and not bpleased that i was " late " - i couldnt see my approach - due to a wall - but an ambulance was summoned - and my parents notified

extracting the spike and debriding the wound - required a trip to theartre

but i gained a very impressive scar

oh - and 2 seasons later - when the same course was used for another finals - a new way-point was introduced - ant the footbridge

thaats the tail of one of my scars

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The best and absolute funniest scar story I have actually happened to someone else.

Myself and several buddies from the UK were shooting some darts in a pub in SE Asia (Malaysia) one night. These guys were crazy anyway, and the numerous pints and shots of whisky were only making things even crazier. As the night went on things got rowdier by the minute. One of the guys, a rugby player, started talking smack.

At one point this same guy went up to the board to pull the darts, talking smack the whole time. He dropped one of the darts on the floor below the board, and bent over to pick it up. One of the other guys thought they'd be funny and fired a dart directly at his backside sticking up in the air. Of course we were all roaring laughing. Right at that instant he turned around to see what we were all laughing at (still bent over). That dart hit him dead square right smack in the middle of his forehead and stuck there!

So he stands up and he's got this dart sticking out of his forehead! He stands there with this grin on his face and does a little jig with this dart sticking out of his head. We were all laughing, choking and gasping and cracking up just in stitches over this, just the funniest thing ever!!! He left that dart stuck in his forehead for the rest of the night! He'd go up to girls and ask them to dance, or order drinks from the gal bartender, all with this dart in his forehead. I don't think I ever laughed so hard, for so long, in all my life! At one point some other dude in the bar was all drunk and picking fights with people. So 'dart man' goes up to him and challenges him straight-up to a fight.

"You wanna fight, do ya? Well, let's have a go at it then, you and me, mate!", he tells this guy. The guy is just speechless. I mean, what do you say to a guy who's challenging you to a brawl with a dart sticking out of his forehead??? The drunk guy squints at him, and kind of points to the dart, then holds his finger up like he's going to say something...then just gives up. About two more times he takes a breath like he's going to say something...but then just exhales. He finally just says he's goin' home. We roared laughing!!

I don't remember how we extracted the dart from his forehead, but it was in there pretty deep. Ever after that he had this dimple like scar in his forehead from that dart, and it was the source of much laughter and ribbing. There was just no way you could ever repeat something that hilarious!

My sides hurt for days after that from laughing so hard.
edit on 12/24/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I should very much like to meet that boss and give him a piece of my mind, sound's a real humanitarian.
Of course each country has different law's but the usual consensus is that an employer is responsible for the safety of his employee's, if you can prove this happened there and you were only 15 at the tine - a minor almost anywhere in the world then you probably have very good ground's to sue the company you worked for.
In some country's if it has changed owner's or a certain period of time has elapsed then they get away with it, those nation's that have such statutes of limitation have a corrupt and biased legal system that should be changed and the whole concept of statute of limitations is a very flawed one weighed in favor of letting the powerful and wealthy off the hook so actually not a democratic law at all.

It may be well worth your time to seek legal advice on that matter with a lawyer that specialized in industrial injury's at work and it does all depend on how much evidence you have to back this up.

Made me very angry reading about a man not sending - and indeed taking a 15 year old kid to the hospital after an accident like that, in fact he barely even registers as human if at all.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
My worst scar isn't the biggest going, but it ended up within a couple of millimetres of my artery in my wrist, it was a damn close call.

I was ten years old and playing 'silly snap' with my then-step mum, where if a pair of cards comes up, the players must run to a predetermined object, touch it, then run back to the cards. First one back wins.

Only, this time round, my step mum had decided that the object to run and touch was the front door, the one with the big glass panel,

It was a 30 mile drive to the nearest hospital, it was a close call.

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk 😂 👌

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I cut off the tip of my left pinky. I did it at a restaurant. I was trying to cut through a pork loin that my boss insisted I cut 8 filets out of because he promised a customer some dish they wanted even though it wasn't on the menu for that day and thus never thawed out when we prepped in the morning.

There was a waitress that I liked to bother and I walked up to her and said, "hey check this out!" Took the towel I had wrapped around it off and when my heart beat a geyser of blood came out of the tip and squirted about two feet in the air. She screamed and ran to the bathroom. Later she told me she was close to vomiting but did not.

When I got to the ER, I watched them sew it back on. It was kind of neat to see my own bone. I was also sort of confused by all the yellow fat in there. Made me realize humans are weirder than we think. I had never butchered a mammal and saw the same yellow fat just under the skin. (For those curious this is an odd feature we people have - look it up).

I also split my lip once passing out in a bar. Fell mouth first right into a bar stool. I don't remember much about the ER visit but the pal that took me there said I asked the Doc if I looked like the joker and then smiled real big and the doc was like, "um could you please not do that?"

My pal laughed though.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

as you were :

A - working

B - dealing with the public

C - handling food

i am struggling to think what relevant laws were not broken during this incident

if i had witnessed your treatment - i would have called 999 police AND paramedic - just to cause the biggets crapstorm i could on your boss

A. This was 30 some years ago,
B. I was working as a civilian for the Army. Good luck trying to sue
C. My parents were disturbed by the deep cut but told me to suck it up. Their cure for everything, pour peroxide directly into wound.
The way they grew up, unless an arm was dangling you were going to be ok. Sounds harsh by today's standards, but i'm glad they were like that.

I sucked it up.

edit on 24-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have scars some large some small, all over on every body part. (head, face, both hands, both arms, both legs, both feet, every finger on both hands, my chest, penis, not sure about my stomach, back, neck or ass).

Mostly (about 80%) from intravenous heroin use. The remaining 20% is about half childhood injuries, half from my drinking era which came immediately before my opiate/heroin days.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I have too many to mention so I won't bother.

I look at my body kind of like a notepad.
When I die,someone will look at my body and say...this crazy asshole must have had one hell of a life and did A LOT of living.

Yep pretty much my thing too.....all over......I grow a goatee and semi thick beard to hide most of em......

The rest other than a few are covered by clothes.......

its a road map to the places ive been, and though im not proud of every one, I wouldnt change a thing......

Besides I want to go out of this world old and used up and ready to take the next adventure.......

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Yeah, mental scars are a whole different story.

Do you mind if I ask, are you a male or female? A man could have an abusive psychopathic husband, and a sister can get rowdy with a brother and have a rough and tumble life in general.

I'm just curious. It's no big deal. Just ignore this if you like.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

When I was 15 I worked at Red Lobster, where I witnessed the stupidest injury I think I have ever seen.......even after later going through the military.....

The "chef" was teaching a new guy how to kill and cook a live lobster........

Then, you did so by placing the butcher knife on its back and plunge the knife down, at least thats how they did it there.....

Well this new guy did that, but while holding the lobster and before the Chef could stop him......Needless to say butcher knives are very sharp and pointy.....

With a look of total shock and disbelief on both their parts, the new guy plunged the knife through the lobster AND his hand to the hilt......knife cleanly impaling them both.....it was pretty much mouth agape by everyone around....

There was a quick "you stupid F^(& and a mad rush for towels......never saw the guy again lol

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

This is a really entertaining and thought provoking thread, well done

Can't resist.
I have a few bad ones, and I am so ashamed looking back, the 3 very worst were all from excessive drinking episodes, and they all show obviously, can't hide them so i get to re- live my stupidity whenever asked.

One in my 20's when I walked through a plate glass window at a party, permanently scarred my hand. Terrified the poor hostess. bled everywhere.

One in my 30's sliding out on my motorcycle in the rain in the middle of the night like a drunken idiot. permanently scarred my leg, 16 inches long. my friend had to patch me up and slept on his floor that night.

And one in my 40's. visited my extremely elderly grandparents for a weekend (before they passed) drank who knows how much whiskey and fell down the stairs all the way to the basement. my aunt had to call the EMT's. I woke up in the hospital 26 hours later ( no idea where I was or why I was there) with a huge crooked 4 inch scar on my now bald head. they say I fought the EMT's who were trying to save me.
I'm so ashamed I almost didn't post this but it's a good lesson.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Yeah, mental scars are a whole different story.

Do you mind if I ask, are you a male or female? A man could have an abusive psychopathic husband, and a sister can get rowdy with a brother and have a rough and tumble life in general.

I'm just curious. It's no big deal. Just ignore this if you like.

No biggie... I'm female with male trust issues.

Probably coincidental.

And for the record, my brother got the bad end of three sisters who were merciless.

He was SO happy when the final child came, a baby brother.

After a few years he was off the hook and we allowed him to make it to adulthood so he could escape.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Lumenari

They're just scars.

He will be 117 then.

Big time respect...no wonder I always dig your posts, your life experiences would crumble most, kudos to maintaining your sanity, dignity and grace.

Lots and lots of people out there have it worse than I do.

I've had a good life with a lot of experiences, some good, some bad.

I'm still alive and free and having the time of my life.

I count myself fortunate.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't have much in the line of scars. I do have one between my eyes on my nose and one on my forehead. My sister supposedly stabbed me with a fork when I was a week old, I had some sort of birthmark people were always paying attention to on my forehead and she got jealous of me so decided to go after the mark on my forehead with a fork. The doctor removed the birthmark telling my parents that since it was damaged it might as well go. Rats, lost my third eye when I was a week old. This is the story my mother told me anyway. I believe it is true. I suppose my older sister did me a favor, I could imagine what the kids would have said in school if I had a permanent bindi on my forehead. So, the scar looks like a Shin or sin symbol, aramatic style. The scar on my nose looks like some holes going sideways.

My sister and I are close in age. When we were young like 8 & 10, we got in a huge fight. And when I say fight, I mean fights, hair pulled and all. She ended up slicing the outer corner of where my eyelid meet with her nail, which of course looked horrible.
My mom was terrorfied what people would think so she had me makeup a crazy story about it, like I fell on my face! LOL
I still have the scar but since it's at the corner of my eye it is very difficult to see.

Not as good as your fork story, but man those evil sister, I tell ya!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join