It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1 Dollar Microscope

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
well, if you go to the site they got them in classroom packages. Twenty of them for the kids and relatives. I might order directly from them with the classroom version so I can give them out. www.foldscope.com...

$29 on Amazon, and they're already shipping. But read the negative complaints before buying.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: rickymouse
well, if you go to the site they got them in classroom packages. Twenty of them for the kids and relatives. I might order directly from them with the classroom version so I can give them out. www.foldscope.com...

$29 on Amazon, and they're already shipping. But read the negative complaints before buying.

Look at the site I linked, there are twenty of them in a pack for thirty five bucks. The one on Amazon only has one of them in a kit.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Lol nm. Pretty neat stuff.
edit on 23-12-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
why is it 40 bucks online, yet 1 dollar in the video?

It probably cost them a dollar to make. Then you have to figure in greed, so there is your remaining 39.00.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
why is it 40 bucks online, yet 1 dollar in the video?

Ummm...cause they're greedy bastards...exploiting the gullible masses...

I bought two of the thousands of dollar microscopes at a local school sale for $20.00...ten bucks apiece...
granted...I'm not going to be dropping them off a building...but I can hook my smart phone up to them with a suction adapter and I don't have to stare into an eyepiece...

Now then...If it costs a buck to make...then selling them for 6 bucks would be a 500% profit at a gross margin percentage of 83%... making 5 bucks gross profit per single item sale...so that 3000% markup is just greedy as hell...

No thanks...

The greedy bastards can exploit someone else...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir
as another person that also owns one of the old fashioned non-sexy microscopes. I find it rather dubious that the "$1" microscope will work very long. Does it ship with multiple slides to put stuff on? how do you get a slide to function properly without a rigid body to allow a well in the slide? How do you keep water in the slide without a well, and lifting up the microscope to use the sun as the light source? So much doesn't quite add up to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Says the guy who spent 2000% over cost for his electronics.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

What were they all looking at? Something in the sky, the sun? We might need to make a $1 cure for blindness next.

Seriously, use them for drinking water? How are you going to get them them to do that? They won't even use a $0.03 water filter.

Dracunculiasis (guinea-worm disease)

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

What were they all looking at? Something in the sky, the sun? We might need to make a $1 cure for blindness next.

Seriously, use them for drinking water? How are you going to get them them to do that? They won't even use a $0.03 water filter.

Dracunculiasis (guinea-worm disease)

Was thinking the same things once I got over how annoying the voiceover was.

I thought filtering and boiling water took care of drinking water issues?

If a microscope is needed instead, who's going to teach us which microbes are safe or not safe for consumption?

This video raised so many questions for me, and it didn't help that it was presented in a condescending way by some doofy voice actor.

If they had just said "We made a novelty field microscope for cheap and we want to sell it for 40 bucks," then yeah it'd made a lot of sense. It's a cool toy.

Will not be buying one

edit on 24-12-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Happy Christmas to you, your family and your loved one's and a merry new year as well.
Thank you for sharing this.

This has the very great potential to both increase the literacy of many third world nations by giving kid's a hunger for the unseen world but also to save countless lives and what's more it's cost and durability make it even more valuable.

There is nothing like seeing a child's eye's opened to the unseen possibility's of the world around them and knowing that it may spur many of those children to become teachers, doctor's and scientists in there own right and perhaps make a far better world tomorrow than they would otherwise ever have to look forward to.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I thought the one guy's name was Manure for a second.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
ordered mine yesterday

thanks for the tip

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
got it yesterday.
going to put it together tonight.

coolest thing ever.

check this out.
its only 3 minutes

i am going to go buy a cheap android obama phone and dedicate it to the scope.

tomorrow my daughter and i go find tardigrades

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
as another person that also owns one of the old fashioned non-sexy microscopes. I find it rather dubious that the "$1" microscope will work very long. Does it ship with multiple slides to put stuff on? how do you get a slide to function properly without a rigid body to allow a well in the slide? How do you keep water in the slide without a well, and lifting up the microscope to use the sun as the light source? So much doesn't quite add up to me.

you can fold one side down and stick a slide in and then fold it back up and the slide stays in plays.
you dont have to use a slide to look at things.

the kit i just got came with a few slides in it.

can get boxes of slides on amazon cheap as hell

i have not used it yet as i still need to put it together but it looks super cool

top topics

<< 1   >>

join