It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1 Dollar Microscope

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
yes people of earth, you read that right, its called FOLDSCOPE and made out of paper

Foldscope was invented by Manu Prakash and Jim Cybulski while Jim was a PhD student in Manu's laboratory at Stanford University.

Their inspiration for the Foldscope originated from field visits around the world, where they continually encountered bulky, broken microscopes, or a lack of microscopes entirely. As traditional microscopes are often expensive or cumbersome, they realized the universal scale of this problem and the need for a low-cost, revolutionary solution.

this is the cheapest ever thanks to these two guys, and I think im going to order some

watch this clip

and Merry Christmas to everybody here

and sorry if this was posted before, but i did search and couldn't find a thing related
edit on 23 12 2018 by Dr UAE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I want to add a presentation made on TED , strangely it was presented in 2014 and never heard of it before

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

That was amazing! Made my day, thanks!

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

How it works - from PLOS: journals.plos.org.../journal.pone.0098781&type=printable

teamfoldscope.myshopify.com...

Not exactly $1, but a great invention. I'm sure NASA will be interested in his invention.

Design Innovations High-Resolution Brightfield Microscopy. For some applications, extending the resolution limit of the Foldscope to submicron length scales is a practical necessity. For this reason, the resolution of the single-ball-lens Foldscope was further optimized and empirically characterized. The analytical optimization was carried out for a single field point at the optical axis to assess the best achievable resolution (see Modeling and Characterization and table 2). A 1,450X Brightfield Foldscope with the configuration depicted in figure 2E was used to capture the image in figure 2A, empirically confirming submicron resolution. As shown in figure S4A, spherical ball lenses have significant wavefront error at the edge of the field defined by the aperture (aperture shown in figure S1). As a result, not all regions can be simultaneously in focus within this field. The center portion of the field, with wavefront error less than 1/5 wavenumber and low curvature and distortion, is denoted the ‘‘optimal field of view’’ (figure S4A–C). Thus, the best achievable resolution is attained at the expense of a reduced field of view. When a digital sensor is used in place of the naked eye, the lens fixture effectively reduces the field of view to roughly the optimal field of view.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
How awesome is this? Just put one in my cart. $29.95, coming out Jan. 9.

I think I'll start by looking at my water, then my blood and tee-tee. LOL.

Love!

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
why is it 40 bucks online, yet 1 dollar in the video?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna

They said they cost one dollar "to make". I don't know anybody who charges for an item based on production costs only.
Supply and demand ya know.

They made these to send to countries like India, so doctors and people could see all the critters in the water that is making them sick. The sent 500,000 of these. Awesome.

And now they are putting them on the market, and I think it's great. Amazon has them for $30. not $40.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

1 dollar to "make" (as in for a factory to print the thing) was the key part. I'm guessing the extra cost is because of research and development. Kind of like how most medications only cost pennies to produce, but millions in R/D and testing.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The falsehood of it being $1 is a marketing ploy to spread the news across social media to get more people to shop for it. Evidence is one of our board members immediatly buying it even though it they were mislead by the $1 pricetag.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Pretty cool!

This has some really neat applications that are specific to its design.

For the market price though, ill just get a used "normal" microscope. I'm guessing some might end up buying it for the novelty though, if they aren't familiar with this sort of thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

you are right, and you can get them from their website too and get Basic Classroom Kit (20 Foldscopes) for $35

or Large Classroom Kit (100 Foldscopes) for $350

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Sounds like he's trying to be in the tribe of the likes of the Tech GIANTS (software engineers that make money hand over face once they have a little piece of software that MILLIONS could use they REAP like get rich quick schemers). Note Bezos model didnt even run like that.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thiaoouba Prophecy

The falsehood of it being $1 is a marketing ploy to spread the news across social media to get more people to shop for it. Evidence is one of our board members immediatly buying it even though it they were mislead by the $1 pricetag.

I wasn't misled. I understand the meaning of it cost one dollar "to MAKE'.

If you guys are offended by this, then damn! I wonder how would feel if you found out how much it cost "to make" your cell phone, your laptop, or your car for that matter!

An artist can spend 500.00 on paints and a canvas, and turn around and sell the piece for $250,000.

Get it?

edit on 12/23/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

These guys have done a really great thing. It will save lives. Disparaging them doesn't take that away.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Yeah but.. I seriously punched the hell out of my monitor listening to that.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Yeah but.. I seriously punched the hell out of my monitor listening to that.

Far. Out.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
One word: INTENSE.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
a reply to: dantanna

1 dollar to "make" (as in for a factory to print the thing) was the key part. I'm guessing the extra cost is because of research and development. Kind of like how most medications only cost pennies to produce, but millions in R/D and testing.

Not to mention the patent license.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just think of the possibilities for some here could find their brains and maybe discover their gender.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
well, if you go to the site they got them in classroom packages. Twenty of them for the kids and relatives. I might order directly from them with the classroom version so I can give them out. www.foldscope.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join