It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skating vs Fascism vs Chaos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Auto Racing, Bull Riding and Skateboarding are undoubtedly three of the most brutal sports to master.
For me, skateboarding is a never-ending journey into creativity. (I broke several ribs in October just trying to get back into it. LoL)

99% of people can't learn the novice moves, let alone become competent, without sustaining serious injuries!
Here's to the Earth-bound misfits. Those who seemingly defy gravity and physics, and make the impossible look like child's-play!

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
rodney is just amazing he practicaly invented the sport

havent been back on a board in 10 years maby more ... i kinda pushed my sciatic nerve into my hip and nearly tore it in 2

the absolute most painfull thing i have ever done in my life

still fell it to this day when its cold

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

I wish I had more guts to try skating, or maybe not. The few times I tried it in childhood it scared the living # out of me. I couldn't imagine the huge gamble with body parts it took to even make it down the driveway, let alone leave the ground in any fashion. And realistically you are only 2 inches off of the ground, but combine that with those small devil wheels and you have a machine of pain and torture.

you people are nuts. kind of wish I had the blls to enjoy it a little more, but I am allergic to hospitals.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Been skating since i was 11 to i was 34. I skated with tom penny who use to come to south-bank for a couple of years. before he left to go to france.

It's the only sport i love.
and the only games i care about are EA Skate.
also that new PC skateboard game out now on steam, Skater XL.
looks way better than that sessions mobile style game.

me circa 95 -> ibb.co...

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
cool that skating is still around.

i remember the beginning of it in the early 80's

remember the bones brigade

christian hosoi ftw!!!

# rodney mullen was in the bones brigade

remember lance mountain yo?
edit on 23-12-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

...havent been back on a board in 10 years maby more ... i kinda pushed my sciatic nerve into my hip and nearly tore it in 2

the absolute most painfull thing i have ever done in my life

still fell it to this day when its cold

I can sympathise, I used to be heavy into inline skating and hockey, haven't skated in about 18-19 years due to a combination of settling down with my family and a workplace injury.

The back pain would come and go sporadically, when I was pain-free I was fine, so last year I went out and spent a wad on a whole new set of skates and training gear etc., then boom, full-blown sciatica.

Had an existing team lined up for me to join, too. It felt bad having to sell those skates on after not getting to take them for a spin even just the once, the tech has come a long way since I was in my late teens.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Skated for roughly 20 years of my life.

I grew up during the Bones Brigade, Hosoi, H-Street classic eras.

Hell I will still watch the opening black and white segment of the Public Domain video every so often just to bring back good memories.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I am forever reminded of this...

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I still think you people are nuts, but probably just because I don't have the skillz....

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was a vert skater in the SF Bay Area in the 80s and had a big half pipe with 10 foot transitions and 2 feet of vert in my parents' back yard. At 15, I got a Santa Cruz sponsorship by winning a contest that was judged by Tony Hawk. All through the 80s it was school, and then straight to the ramp until dark, and sometimes past dark with flood lights on the ramp. Skated with legends such as Steve Caballero, Tony Hawk, Fejj and others who's names I've forgotten.

I will never forget the feeling of landing my first back-side air off the coping. Pure bliss! At my best, I was doing 6 foot airs, olies over the channel, hand plants, boneless ones, ...

Never had any serious injuries during my teens. Nothing broken, but one could often see me limping around school for a few days. But the thrill of skating just kind of makes you ignore the pain and get back on the board soon enough. There is always a new trick to learn, and every time you land something new, your confidence gets a huge boost and you progress even faster.

But still, looking at the current level of skating is absolutely NUTS! Those kids blow my mind.

soulwaxer

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Not tooting my own horn here but my nickname in highschool and early twenties was super athlete. Definitely the hardest sport in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Great to hear from some accomplished skaters!
Like soulwaxer said... the current level... like MMA or anything now.. is off the charts

I don't think I'll ever be a natural at it, but as death approaches, I feel the need to push my body.
Hey, that's a good band name... "As Death Approaches"...MEH-HEH-HEH! =)

Post any good skate vids here!
Rodney Mullen is still inventing tricks LOLOLOL.... no doubt the God of skateboarding

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

This is a pic (me->right) from Sunday, shortly before I sprained my wrist and skinned my knee to a nice hamburger hue.
No medics for me! @SK8orDIEplz 8^D

Anyway... HAPPY NEW YEAR SKATERS, & NON-HATERS. Here's to more pain in 2019!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Very nice sir. You look to be a longs way off from death. Plenty of time to break some more bones. You NEED to be able to feel that weather system approaching from 600 miles off.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Very nice sir. You look to be a longs way off from death. Plenty of time to break some more bones. You NEED to be able to feel that weather system approaching from 600 miles off.

Thank you, kind sir... me & death are still on speaking terms, so I hope to bang her out soon and parlay life into something part stem-cell and part cyborg. Who knows? "Elon Musk" may be a strain of DNA laced something-or-other soon that we can all partake of. Otherwise, here's to George Burns... and Carlin... and Orwell.... and Jefferson! ;-)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well this thread is dying, like all things, so I will leave you with this:
Never give up on being young at heart!

If this thread lives later, I'll pay it a visit! Otherwise, see you on the other side of the skatepark and/or cemetery! =)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
...and Rodney Mullen channeling Bruce Lee (my opinion)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thought this vid was amazing, especially put to the song that I just happened to be listening to at that moment. It turned out to be another 'Dark Side of Oz' thing (like my Pasty Cline vid) so I decided to do the editing and it turned out great!

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears I remember in the 60/s when they were called sidewalk surf boards.

new topics

top topics

join