It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End This Govt Shutdown with Medicare-4-All and Complete Wall Funding.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

But we do. Their insurance goes up. Especially if they are 17 with a crotch rocket or under 25 driving a sports car.

It's not about regulation. Nobody is saying they can't do those things. Yes, you can live in a flood plain if you want but insurance companies are going to raise your rate because the probability of disaster is high. I pay much less because I live at a higher elevation by choice and the area has never flooded. That is fair. The person in the flood plain should pay more. That is a personal choice to live there so they assume more risks.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: highvein

Yep...we have to start some place. Might as well be RIGHT NOW. Initiate an agreement, reopen the government...then GET TO WORK implementing that agreement. We elect our leaders to work for the betterment of this nation.

In 2018, the 145 days that Congress was actually in session, has been largely squandered.

If only there was some way to hold them accountable.

Maybe if every time a budget deal falls through and shuts the government down, any sitting member of the House and Senate are ineligible for re-election. Buffet style.

I would like to see a "countdown to pain" clock for our Congress..

The goal is to have a new budget in place 60 days before the current budget expires.

For each day they miss that goal, 1% of their pay is forfeited.

On the day the current budget expires, their pay has been reduced 60% for not coming up with a replacement budget.

On day 61 without an agreement, Congressional pay falls to $0..until a new budget is passed.

After passage, their compensation reverts back normal.
edit on 12/23/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
a reply to: carewemust
Man, I must be drunk. Most of that is a tyope. I was trying to saying: But, why did they pay for the bed with the smelt?

And I must be even drunker, because your riddle isn't sinking in tonight.

Let me be more clear. The key to your post is the number 4. I'm just letting you and everyone else know...that I know...the code that's being used.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
a reply to: Xtrozero

But we do. Their insurance goes up. Especially if they are 17 with a crotch rocket or under 25 driving a sports car.

It's not about regulation. Nobody is saying they can't do those things. Yes, you can live in a flood plain if you want but insurance companies are going to raise your rate because the probability of disaster is high. I pay much less because I live at a higher elevation by choice and the area has never flooded. That is fair. The person in the flood plain should pay more. That is a personal choice to live there so they assume more risks.

Never going to happen...

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Sure, why not. I think that's a great idea. I mean $20 billion could go to other things. But a good compromise, if possible. I'm not sure why building a wall is a TERRIBLE idea except for the cost. What do we lose by building a wall? Who does it harm? We could also combine this with a way for undocumented immigrants to become documented and legally work in the U.S. in order to help out agricultural industries low on manual labor and the like.
edit on 23amSun, 23 Dec 2018 01:14:58 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Cortez wants members of Congress to lose their pay during a government shutdown, and this is something I agree with her on. She also wants them to have to use the same healthcare that citizens use, which I also agree with her on. They need to feel the pain that they bring onto others so they can become more empathetic.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

I think one main problem includes pre-existing conditions. This is something that a person cannot control, and they probably need health insurance more than others, too.

Another problem is that the healthcare system takes advantage of the fact that people have no choice but to utilize healthcare. This allows them to ignore the idea of supply and demand and just charge whatever the hell they want. It would be like companies gaining control of the water supply and selling water for outrageous prices because people had no choice but to use it. We also have to worry about companies doing the same thing with the internet.

I don't see the problem with government regulation in cases where supply and demand are no longer in effect or monopolies occur (like with the internet companies, who work with each other to gain monopolies in certain regions to avoid competition).
edit on 23amSun, 23 Dec 2018 01:21:03 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Sure , give each person in the US 1 mil each and call it a day

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But look on the bright side. The taxes paid back by companies such as Brawndo, Fender and Lamborghini would be through the roof.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
a reply to: dfnj2015

Being a doctor today can be a rough life. Constantly have to deal with lawsuits, long hours, laws changing. It's an honorable profession but I know a few who got out of it for those reasons. One is an architect now earning more income and they have more leisure time.

I also know an investment banker who probably earns more than some of the best doctors in the country. Really have to love medicine with a passion to even consider it.

So it's not that we don't have the ability to train more doctors. We have that, just less and less want to do it and more and more people need them.

Yes, that is so true and if you've been to a VA hospital recently your words are even more true to the soldier.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

December 22, 2018

Once again, our Federal Government is (partially) shut-down, because of silly squabbling amongst our elected politicians in Congress. Because it's the THIRD TIME our government has shut down this year, it's not a big deal to most Americans, and even the mainstream media isn't giving it headline status.
To comply with ATS rules - www.kjrh.com... (yawn...)

What does everyone think about this idea for a HUGELY SIGNIFICANT "deal" between Republicans and Democrats to reopen the Federal Government?

1.) Allow anyone who wants to, to buy into Medicare. Essentially, Medicare Available for All.

2.) Allocate $20 Billion for Border Security Enhancement. (Wall, personnel, drones, etc..)

Naturally, implementing #1 will require adjustments in other areas in the coming months. But this "grand bargain" would garner well over 60 votes in the Senate, and 250 in the House.

In my opinion, ALL AMERICANS would benefit from this unprecedented display of bi-partisan compassion for the masses!

-CareWeMust

Everyone gets Medicare at age 65, some sooner by conditions. Every man, woman and child living now will file for and receive "Medicare" if it still exists. Each is contacted by the government they must file by their 65th birthday.

I think you meant "universal medi-CAL" coverage for all. Now, we have Part A-free, Part B-$134ish per month, sometimes gov.paid for....Part D is prescription coverage...and one can choose plans, or no plans...or insurance.

I have only Medicare...no other insurance.....pay $5-$2-9.00 for every script, test, x-ray, hospitalization....people are confused about this penalty crap w ins.

The penalty is almost zilch for wife and I...cheaper now to have just Medicare and pay these small co-pays...than to add some insurance, have to 1st pay deductables, have monthly premiums and still pay co-pays.

Universal guaranteed medical coverage for all? Yes. We already get Medicare as it stands today.*

*Just had 3 xays, ultrasound, mri-$1,740.....my bill was $21.00 total....saw chiropractor 2 times weekly, to once a week since Sept...I just settled the bill...$26.00...medicare covered the rest.

Eta: just trying to clarify the Medicare-wall-shut down thingy-and Mexico is paying for the wall anyway... Trump said!
edit on 23-12-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

1.) Allow anyone who wants to, to buy into Medicare. Essentially, Medicare Available for All.

Everyone who works "buys into Medicare" by payroll deduction every month for 40 plus years. After that you still pay every month to be on Medicare, which is a half-assed insurance program that pays nowhere near what it costs. It's not simply a matter of raising your hand and paying a small premium. Those on Medicare have been paying into it their entire working lives. Simplistic ideas like this are not going to solve any problems.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Imo, we should make the shutdown permanent & eliminate all non-essential government jobs. Use the money that was spent on them to help build the wall and/or help provide medicare for all. If the shutdown goes on long enough it can become the new norm.

Ideally, I'd like to see all current federal social/welfare programs replaced with a UBI. People can use their UBI money on basic needs like housing, food, health insurance & higher education in the free market, which already exists. The minimum wage can also be eliminated with a UBi. For the same cost as all current federal social/welfare programs, each U.S. citizen who is over 18 and who does not receive a pension, can receive a UBI of @ $1700 per month, regardless if they have a job or not. A UBI which replaces all federal social/welfare programs can be implemented without raising taxes or touching military spending. Criteria can be established to receive consecutive years UBI, like a requirement to have health insurance.
edit on 23-12-2018 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Even with Medicare I still pay over $200 for extra insurance so what good is Medicare for all? it was foisted on us to pay for the 15 -25 million illegal aliens who have been draining the system for years. No thank you. You want to fix healthcare? Send them all home and end birthright citizenship which is a scam anyways.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
We've spent enough money and right now I think Donald Trump is well on track to spend more money than anyone.

It needs to stop.

Let's get the deals we need and then start making the big steps. Ending the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria is a good first step. But way more needs to be done to get this government under control. This "new normal" that was achieved with the Bush Administration is scary as hell.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Another problem is that the healthcare system takes advantage of the fact that people have no choice but to utilize healthcare. This allows them to ignore the idea of supply and demand and just charge whatever the hell they want.

That is the way I see it also, from within the healthcare system. Healthcare is run like a 'cartel'.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Man, I must be drunk. Most of that is a tyope. I was trying to saying: But, why did they pay for the bed with the smelt?

And I must be even drunker, because your riddle isn't sinking in tonight.

Let me be more clear. The key to your post is the number 4. I'm just letting you and everyone else know...that I know...the code that's being used.

What code is that

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

We have unlimited resources for military spending but no healthcare security?

We have massive productivity gains with computers and automation over my lifetime and STILL we do NOT have the capacity to meet our own needs. I say HORSE Shiite!!

It takes less time to train a soldier and build a fighter jet than for someone to get a PHD.
Automation got a huge boost because of investment and necessity.
When we can download 8-12 years of knowledge and skill into the brain Matrix style, we'll probably have enough doctors.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
at one point, congress had support for the wall along with a solution to the problem with the dreamers.
trump backed out of it I believe.
now, they might have to add a little something to that, like maybe closing that that tent inernment camps for families or something.
but I have a feeling the end solution is gonna look much like that earlier version.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake
I think one of the problems with the "wall" or fence or whatever has to do with eminent domain issues. you are taking property from people, dividing their lands with your wall or fence, ect.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join