It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End This Govt Shutdown with Medicare-4-All and Complete Wall Funding.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
December 22, 2018

Once again, our Federal Government is (partially) shut-down, because of silly squabbling amongst our elected politicians in Congress. Because it's the THIRD TIME our government has shut down this year, it's not a big deal to most Americans, and even the mainstream media isn't giving it headline status.
To comply with ATS rules - www.kjrh.com... (yawn...)

What does everyone think about this idea for a HUGELY SIGNIFICANT "deal" between Republicans and Democrats to reopen the Federal Government?

1.) Allow anyone who wants to, to buy into Medicare. Essentially, Medicare Available for All.

2.) Allocate $20 Billion for Border Security Enhancement. (Wall, personnel, drones, etc..)

Naturally, implementing #1 will require adjustments in other areas in the coming months. But this "grand bargain" would garner well over 60 votes in the Senate, and 250 in the House.

In my opinion, ALL AMERICANS would benefit from this unprecedented display of bi-partisan compassion for the masses!

-CareWeMust

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I would be fine with that on paper. Reality is we are very limited with medical resources. It's not scaled to even care for the people in the system now. This was a major flaw of the ACA; Not enough doctors. That should be the first order of business. Free medical school and nursing school in state to attempt to ramp up.

There is also the issue people abusing their bodies and demanding others pay for it. That was kind of addressed with the ACA but never executed. I don't feel comfortable at all people receiving healthcare who are abusing their bodies with no consequences and the notion of up yours, fix me.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

We have unlimited resources for military spending but no healthcare security?

We have massive productivity gains with computers and automation over my lifetime and STILL we do NOT have the capacity to meet our own needs. I say HORSE Shiite!!

edit on 22-12-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Burt, why did they pay for the bed with the smelt?

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I would have to analyze the cyclical data to determine the intrinsic....aww hell....why not?

I will put it in the brief during the meeting with my D.C. correspondent, and it should take about a week for the Bill to be approved.

Don't ya wish it was that easy?

ETA Because it is a great Idea.
edit on 22-12-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
I don't feel comfortable at all people receiving healthcare who are abusing their bodies with no consequences and the notion of up yours, fix me.

What do you mean by abusing their bodies?

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Being a doctor today can be a rough life. Constantly have to deal with lawsuits, long hours, laws changing. It's an honorable profession but I know a few who got out of it for those reasons. One is an architect now earning more income and they have more leisure time.

I also know an investment banker who probably earns more than some of the best doctors in the country. Really have to love medicine with a passion to even consider it.

So it's not that we don't have the ability to train more doctors. We have that, just less and less want to do it and more and more people need them.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Heavy smoker, drinker, drug abuse, obese due to poor diet. There was a penalty in the ACA for it but it was never enforced. Really not fair to those who work and being healthy. Those people should pay less.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I understand where you're coming from. Addressing issues related to "wellness" and increasing the number of medical personnel can be undertaken during the transition.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
Burt, why did they pay for the bed with the smelt?

What movie is that line from?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Yep...we have to start some place. Might as well be RIGHT NOW. Initiate an agreement, reopen the government...then GET TO WORK implementing that agreement. We elect our leaders to work for the betterment of this nation.

In 2018, the 145 days that Congress was actually in session, has been largely squandered.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

That is the reason we import Doctors now.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I don't feel comfortable at all people receiving healthcare who are abusing their bodies with no consequences and the notion of up yours, fix me.

What do you mean by abusing their bodies?

That is a subjective term, isn't it? There are those who believe eating a steak is abusing one's body.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Heavy smoker, drinker, drug abuse, obese due to poor diet. There was a penalty in the ACA for it but it was never enforced. Really not fair to those who work and being healthy. Those people should pay less.

How about anyone who gets a speeding ticket, or rides a motorcycle, or likes extreme sports of any kind. Maybe we should regulate what everyone eats and drinks.

edit on 23-12-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Man, I must be drunk. Most of that is a tyope. I was trying to saying: But, why did they pay for the bed with the smelt?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Nothing is going to change the for profit medical establishment in the US. Insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, and for profit hospitals with their enormous funding and lobbyist...ain't gonna happen.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Yes, it's sad that physicians are under so much stress. Business Insider says the suicide rate amongst doctors is almost 100% higher than that of the general population.

Source: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
Man, I must be drunk. Most of that is a tyope. I was trying to saying: But, why did they pay for the bed with the smelt?

And I must be even drunker, because your riddle isn't sinking in tonight.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Nothing is going to change the for profit medical establishment in the US. Insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, and for profit hospitals with their enormous funding and lobbyist...ain't gonna happen.

Congress made big changes to it in 2010 with the Affordable Care Act. Expanding Medicare eligibility is simple by comparison.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: highvein

Yep...we have to start some place. Might as well be RIGHT NOW. Initiate an agreement, reopen the government...then GET TO WORK implementing that agreement. We elect our leaders to work for the betterment of this nation.

In 2018, the 145 days that Congress was actually in session, has been largely squandered.

If only there was some way to hold them accountable.

Maybe if every time a budget deal falls through and shuts the government down, any sitting member of the House and Senate are ineligible for re-election. Buffet style.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join