It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If women shoot better and are more accurate why aren't there more Women snipers?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Just something I'm curious about.

I've heard it from many many people, women are absolutely more accurate when it comes to shooting.

I've haven't heard of any women snipers, why? I'm talking about the US military.

It appears in other parts of the world they do use women for that position.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I've heard it from many many people, women are absolutely more accurate when it comes to shooting.

I've haven't heard of any women snipers, why? I'm talking about the US military.

There most certainly are.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Do tell, I've read about Russian snipers.

Is it because they don't want us to know?

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

They don't always shoot better than men

2 snipers are considered an Infantry role and traditionally women weren't allowed to serve as Infantry
edit on 12/22/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Because sammich production would lag worldwide.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

If I were to wager any educated guess, that would be because of all the other things that make up a sniper outside of shooting.

Days, weeks, months in the field.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Because women have a hard time carrying a Barrett 50cal in the field.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
They have to have opportunity. The various sniper schools usually draw from special forces units, and these are notoriously difficult for anyone to begin with. Only 12 women have ever graduated. No women have ever graduated SEAL training, though a couple have tried. It's not just about accurate shooting.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Maybe not allllways, but a lot

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but after 32 years of military coaching and training, I do know this: 1. Every woman I ever trained on the Army .45 fired Expert on the first day of training. 2. My wife and both my daughters can outshoot me.

www.nrafamily.org...
edit on 22-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

While that may be true in perfect conditions, it's been my experience in practical applications in real world environments that that is not the case.

Additionally, being a scout sniper has physical requirements in addition to and far more strenuous than regular infantry.

While I'm sure there are plenty of women who are capable of meeting the requirements, the "want to" isn't there.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Maybe not allllways, but a lot

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but after 32 years of military coaching and training, I do know this: 1. Every woman I ever trained on the Army .45 fired Expert on the first day of training. 2. My wife and both my daughters can outshoot me.

www.nrafamily.org...

That's pretty cool anecdotal evidence...... But what in the female physiology makes you think they are better at shooting?

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Heh, many people are silly here! A female shooter can control her breath just as well, if not better, than a man (IF she's trained properly).

The reason you never hear about women snipers is because you never hear about ANY snipers!

"one shot, one kill...and di di-mau" (Don't ask me how I know this)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
DBL...tap.
edit on 12/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
But what in the female physiology makes you think they are better at shooting?

Why are women good long-distance shooters? Our bodies are built differently than men. In sports like football this may be a disadvantage, but for sports like mountain climbing and long-distance shooting, our unique body structure actually works as a benefit. Wider hips and a lower distribution of weight provide women with more balance and control. According to expert marksman (or markswoman) Launi Mieli, head coach of the Air Force Academy rifle team and the only American woman to win an Olympic gold in small-bore rifle, “Women have a lower center of gravity and I think that gives them a distinct advantage in shooting from the standing position. I think they have better balance.”

rivetermagazine.wordpress.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Heh, many people are silly here! A female shooter can control her breath just as well, if not better, than a man (IF she's trained properly).

The reason you never hear about women snipers is because you never hear about ANY snipers!

That is exactly what I was wondering. Maybe there are and we just haven't heard about them.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

But what in the female physiology makes you think they are better at shooting?

Why are women good long-distance shooters? Our bodies are built differently than men. In sports like football this may be a disadvantage, but for sports like mountain climbing and long-distance shooting, our unique body structure actually works as a benefit. Wider hips and a lower distribution of weight provide women with more balance and control. According to expert marksman (or markswoman) Launi Mieli, head coach of the Air Force Academy rifle team and the only American woman to win an Olympic gold in small-bore rifle, “Women have a lower center of gravity and I think that gives them a distinct advantage in shooting from the standing position. I think they have better balance.”

rivetermagazine.wordpress.com...

Cool but snipers rarely, unless they just absolutely can't find a better vantage point..... Shoot standing up

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

And the women who graduated didn't really graduate. They were held to lower standards, it was political. Gi Jane is not real.

Women are not men and they Are not suited for combat.

Jaden

P. S. That is just reality, not misogyny...
edit on 22-12-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

That is exactly what I was wondering. Maybe there are and we just haven't heard about them.

Or that only 1.7% of women choose to fill an infantry role

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: schuyler

And the women who graduated didn't really graduate. They were held to lower standards, it was political. Gi Jane is not real.

Women are not men and they Are not suited for combat.

Jaden

P. S. That is just reality, not misogyny...

Doesn't sound like they are held to lower standards.

www.npr.org...

For the first time since women have been allowed to apply, a female soldier is one step closer to becoming a member of the Green Berets.The Army opened its special operations jobs to women in 2016 but none has ever made it past the initial Special Forces Assessment and Selection process, a 24-day program designed to push soldiers to the brink of mental and physical exhaustion.

"Recently, a female successfully completed Special Forces Assessment and Selection and was selected to attend the Special Forces Qualification Course," Lt. Col. Loren Bymer told Army Times on Thursday.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
We rarely feel the need to resort to a gun.

One death stare from us is usually enough to stop the enemy in their tracks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join