It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Volcano Tsunami' hits Indonesia after Krakatoa Eruption

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I watched this film many years ago. A very well made film/documentary, based on diaries etc people wrote at the time who survived the eruption and ensuing Tsunami, which shows the devastation a volcano such as Krakatoa can cause.
watch?v=J_osgSMeZX4
edit on 23-12-2018 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

Urrgh...could somebody do the link properly for me please and thank you.
edit on 23-12-2018 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
As I recall, Anak Krakatau means 'son of Krakatoa' because it has been growing in the void created by the 1883 catastrophe. It will be even more of a concern if it stops the regular venting indicating a pressure build-up. Seawater finding its way to the trapped magma could cause another huge eruption.
edit on 23/12/2018 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thank you! I did try doing that v=number but doesn't seem to work

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Wow a thing of nightmares

footage from a concert, shows the fans/stage get taken by surprise by the tsunami

Link

starts @:0042

BBC News are sadly reporting that all band members have died, some concert goers still missing, total deaths so far estimated to be around 220,

God speed to all affected

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Gosh that was awful, those poor people.
Wish I hadn't clicked on it now.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This has happened right in the middle of a predicted zone 21st-15th December with planets in alignment , and also full moon and the start of the new year and a high tide . There are threads and videos warning of the alignment's potential . Now this

Bandar Lampung is like Palu , in a bowl shape on the flat ground prone to the sea . You can easily see where it has been in before and pulled out the landscape as it receeded .

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Gosh that was awful, those poor people.
Wish I hadn't clicked on it now.

Yeah especially cause near the middle you see the guy in the white tee sitting to the left pick up a tiny approx 3-4yr old child... for some reason, I wasn't expecting that #.

I'm surprised this video even made it to web... Were they livestreaming? I wonder if the camera man/woman lived...

I guess I should check the YT video description/comments/channel for more details. Someone also commented that BBC is covering this.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Thank you! I did try doing that v=number but doesn't seem to work

Rainbows
Jane

I just copy/paste everything that comes after the equal sign.

It looks like you not only included the equal sign, but also the lowercase letter V. Erase those two characters and youd have had it made

See?

All I did was scroll up to your other post, and copy/pasted everything After the =

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Thank you! I couldn't remember how to do it. Now I know

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That sucks!

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
looks like some land did indeed slide into the ocean from these 2 sat photos:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I was just about to report this, Krakatoa had a child.

The scary thing is that it's only a baby, if you don't know about her mother, in 1883 she created the largest sound ever heard by human ears. 3000 miles away in Darwin, Australia, the eruption was mistaken for gunfire. In the english channel the tide unexpectedly rose six feet, and in the Caribbean the afternoon sky turned red.

I think we need to keep an eye on this brat.

The loudest sound heard by human ears "in air."

We have heard louder in water.
One sperm whale click beats the hell out of Krakatoa.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Real info is still scant. But one eye witness rode out the first smaller wave in a hotel, but when they saw the bigly one following it, they ran into the trees, and got to high ground. This one two punch may be a sequential flank collapse, and it just might be a warning of an unholy haymaker still to come. Palagonitic basalts are the junkyards of a Strato Volcano, where basaltic lava flows and is frozen in water. My worry is that the real bulge, like at St. Helens in 1980, is below the water level, and the weakened flank will blow out under water like the lateral blast St. Helens threw at Coldwater One and Two, on May 18th. Good thing is water retards the bulge better than Daylight, but if it goes, then that same water instantly turns into super heated steam, just like the cubic mile of seawater, hitting the magma at Krakatoa, in 1883 did. It was all that water turning to steam instantly, which caused the concussions heard round the world, in 1883. St Helens' blast was more like a rifle shot, although I didn't hear it in my Snake River Valley home. But later that day, I got plenty of Ash from that old "Ashhole".

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

This pic is right after the eruption happened and potentially show the tsunami wave itself:

And this one shows that indeed a good portion of the flank has slipped of into the ocean:

22-23 Dec 2018 eruption & tsunami of Krakatoa - updates - Volcano Discovery

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

That's one of the problems with those picturesque perfect cones. They build up all pretty but they're prone to things like collapsing flanks. Sometimes, it's stuff like this, other times, it's Mt. Saint Helens. But once they get so large, they're always dangerous.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Precisely.

Looking over at google scholar for papers related to volcanic tsunamis and with specific regard to Anak Krakatau, I have found the following:

Numerical modelling of a rapid, partial destabilization of Anak Krakatau Volcano (Indonesia) was performed in order to investigate the tsunami triggered by this event.

Ts unami hazard related to a flank collapse of Anak Krakatau
Volcano, Sunda Strait, Indonesia
(direct .pdf link)

This was published back in 2012 and presumes .28km^3 volume is involved in the event and resulting in tsunamis bewteen 15-30m in amplitude. I'm not sure of the numbers involved in the collapse of the present event, and I am not sure if the scientists even know how much of the flank slid off into the sea so comparisons probably can't be made to those number just yet, but the run up of the tsunamis should be fairly well known and so should give them good data to further refine the models used.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think what happened was a partial collapse, as compared to what is being discussed in the paper, which appears to be something much larger, which they fear could still happen.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join