It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how drug testing situations really play out

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i see good workers getting fired for this # and # workers replacing them and winding up getting fired too.

Good workers obey company policy. If that policy is to stay away from drugs, then that's what you should do. If you can't do that, then work for a company without such policies.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: JAGStorm
Wow, I've only known one person in real life who has never been intoxicated on ethanol or any other drug.
You must have a drug though, I was addicted to running for a couple of years, the endorphins and adrenaline.
...maybe I'm just a junky lol

I've had a few sips of wine in my life but that's all, and I consider that a failure on my part for being weak enough to give in. Never had a beer, never any liquor, never a cigarette, never any weed, never anything harder, never any prescriptions that would get me high.

My drug is solving games. I like to take mechanics and just sit and think about how to break them. Run simulations over and over in my head until I find something that utterly breaks things.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   

a reply to: JAGStorm
Sucrose user yeh? That is probably the worst addiction in my society.
Healthwise you know. Coke heads who hold down jobs are healthy enough, but Sucrose users are fat and have diabetes.

I'm not even that. I don't eat desserts (except on rare occasions, I'm rather fond of creme brulee), and I don't drink soda. The only things I drink are unsweet iced tea, hot coffee, and water.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuyDo you mean illegal drugs? Legal recreational drugs like ethanol?
Your comment surprised me to be honest, how can someone smoking a spliff or drinking a glass of wine after work affect your life so badly that you call them scum?

I get that it's not practical to remove all of these substances from society. In fact, we're probably going to have to eventually legalize all or most of them.

However, I have a very poor opinion of people ingesting various substances in order to alter their perception of reality. I think it leads to society seeking to escape rather than fix our problems. Every time someone drinks, lights up, or shoots up, they take a little bit of motivation out of the world to stand up and make the world a better place.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
I think sensible use and intake is no problem. I agree about shooting up say heroin though, that wrecks lives, but so does alcohol if misused.
Mind altering experiences are fun with friends, the pub would be boring if everyone drunk tea.
Saying that though I do only have a cup of tea at the pub sometimes, read the paper and enjoy banter with people.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I worked in a job for 20 years that was subject to screening.
They had quite a narrow temperature band for accepting a sample so taking someone elses in wasn't an option.

I also managed not to smoke a joint during that time.
Crazy, but true. It's actually quite easy to not get high when your mortgage depends on you working.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
What I think is crazy is that someone can hold down a job doing two bottles of wine a night but get sacked for having one spliff after work.
I'm self employed though so testing will never affect me.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   

What I think is crazy is that someone can hold down a job doing two bottles of wine a night but get sacked for having one spliff after work.
I'm self employed though so testing will never affect me.

Actually mate, you'd get fired from my oldJob for 30mg of alcohol

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I'd be screwed then lol

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I think a pre-employment drug screen is perfectly fine, but those randoms aren't necessary. I was recently let go because i had a random piss test. I had been dealing with a sinus infection 5 days prior to the random and I had been taking Mucinex d max to ease my sinus pressure and when I took the random I didn't even think about the possibility of a false positive. Sure enough that is what happened and i failed for amphetamines. I explained what possibly could have cause the false positive and he told me to call the Dr who read the results and he said the decongestant I was taking could not cause a positive. He was a total jerk about it and I was to the point where I was almost screaming at him telling him i have not done any meth or anything. Jan 12 will be 6 years clean but here I am failing a drug test. I work right next to a guy in recovery, he stuck up for me and said no way I was evr high while working 10-12 HRS out of the day.
I was at home after I got the call and had to leave work and I did some digging and sure enough the mucinex I was taking can cause a false positive but the Dr wouldn't hear it and wouldn't budge. My general foreman and foreman knew the Dr may have ignored the fact that OTC meds can cause a false positive. Because of policy and the IBEW wouldn't consider this possibikty they had to let me go. I was SOOOO irate, I still am!
Here I have been clean for almost 6 years and I'm failing for meth. I have been digging into this subject all week and false positives have screwed over so many people and a doctor will never admit OTC meds can cause a positive drug test but if it's a prescribed med, they will.
Ive just been numb ever since this happened and the only reason I was given a random was so the company I worked for could make it look like they've given some randoms before the end of the year.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MNnativeamer
Harsh story man, I hope you find work in the new year, stay positive in your mind.
I'd maybe get a letter from my doctor to confirm I was on the meds just to show a potential new employer that you were not doing drugs recreationally.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: TinySickTears

I like the combo of the 6 hour test and if you fail you are ineligible for any and all assistance.

Lose everything for smoking a joint?

What a merry little fascist you are.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I think people who use any drugs at all are scum. Don't piss test them, hair test them. Do it at regular intervals.

If the company can't attract clean, sober people, then they need to make the jobs lucrative enough that people will get off the poisons to get and keep those jobs.

well thank christ people like you are quickly becoming the minority.

good luck with that

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

if you get hurt at work and have to go to the hospital or clinic you are tested as you would be for a pre emplyment

Mate that sounds like police state #!!!
I couldn't work in an environment like that, no way, respect to you.

well i dont like it but this is my reaity
i need to work

its a drag man.

get tested like that pre employment
subjected to that test at random
get tested like that if we get hurt bad enough to go to the clinic

it sucks.

at this point it just sucks cause it is a little inconvenient.
it is very easy getting past the tests.

its the principal of it though

i see good workers getting fired for this # and # workers replacing them and winding up getting fired too.

I have to agree with JAGS here...seems like the smartest thing to do would be to not do drugs while you're on the job or within the time frame where any drugs you did would show up still on a test (if you were off for a weekend or something).

There is a REASON that companies will Fire drug users. You know what that reason is, right? It's because drugs (yes, even weed!) will affect your perception, your performance, your thinking, your coordination, everything.

Generally, employers want their employees firing on all cylinders.

To me, you sound immature. Immature people can't delay gratification or do repsonsible things when it interferes with their enjoyment. Immature people keep smoking weed when they aren't supposed to and carry around bottles of another person's urine wih them.

Just think about that for a second. How stupid does it sound?

It is. Stupid, that is.

Grow up, be a man, be responsible, and don't smokke weed if you have to work the next few days.

Far and away the dumbest post in this thread. You can smoke a joint, 1 joint, and it can stay in your system for 6 weeks.

How about you educate your self before running your mouth and showing everyone that you don't have a clue about what you are yapping about.

How about you stop being a lapdog fro corporate fascists that want to dictate what you do on your personal time.

People like you make me sick.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
REPLY TO OP (why didn't it show which post I'm resoonding to? 😡):

I'm not one to talk from way high up on a horse, dude: I am an UBER alcoholic. I checked myself into the ER once- meaning I walked myself in and talked to the nurses and filled out my own paperwork, etc..and my BAC was .49. Yes, you read that correctly.

I drank on the job, once my alcoholism got out of control. I would put vodka in with some Gatorade so it looked like I just had Gatorade, but it was not just gatoroade. That was the only way I could get through the day without shaking so much that I couldn't hold anything, or without puking. The hardest thing, in the morning, was to get three or four shots of vodka down without puking it up. If I could keep it down, he shakes would stop in about 20 minutes and I wouldn't be in danger of puking with every move of my eyes.

If I had been tested at work, I would have blown over the limit, and yes, I drove myself to work. When I finally got some help and checked into Detox, I hadn't had a drink for over twelve hours and my BAC was .28. Keep in mind I hadn't had a drop in half a day, so imagine what my levels were when I was sipping my "Gatorade" at work. And here is the worst part: I was working WITH KIDS.

So, I am not on a high horse. I was the worst of the worst.

About the job thing: I lost my dream job because of my drinking. The situation I descobed so far, that was my SECOND rendezvous with being a drunk. Before that, I had been in my dream job- went to rehab, and when I "relapsed" a month later, I got fired. Was it maybe a tad unfair, since it usuly takes a person a year of starts and stops to get sober? Yeah, maybe it was a bit harsh, but it was their decision, and no one forced me to drink gallons of vodka every night by myself in my living room.

So: I know it sucks, but when we are the employees, we have to follow their rules. And honestly, having no THC in your system while at work, it's really not a bad rule.

I had to grow up that way, so I feel I can say I think you need to grow up in this area. Worst of the worst right here, man. I'm sure you've not been as irresponsible and immature as I was, but you probably could straighten up a little.

Stop talking about pot and THC as you are utterly clueless about. The only thing worse than a drunk is a drunk that thinks they know everything about pot and pot testing.

In other words zip it until you educate yourself.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

either way i am interested in talking about peoples opinion on drug testing being done.
not your opinion on competent testers

I think people who use any drugs at all are scum. Don't piss test them, hair test them. Do it at regular intervals.

If the company can't attract clean, sober people, then they need to make the jobs lucrative enough that people will get off the poisons to get and keep those jobs.

Nah, it's you that is scum.

A real proper fascist.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

When someone is fired for failing a drug test they get no benefits, no unemployment, no pension. If the job is replaceable they can hire someone else and pay them less. Also insurance companies force employers to drug test.

A friend of mine retired from NASA after 30+ years. No drug tests for 30 years but had 5 'random' tests in his final year. He thought it was pretty obvious they were trying to find a reason to not pay his pension.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You would lose your mind at my job. Over half of us smoke cannabis on a regular basis, we all party hard and we can get away with drinking on a job. I average about 6 large shots of Stoli a shift.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

well thank christ people like you are quickly becoming the minority.

good luck with that

Puritans are the worst type of people. Proper little fascists that think their outdated and moronic worldview is somehow viable.

I detest them with every fiber of my being.

Also, I think he/she is a liar.

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

When someone is fired for failing a drug test they get no benefits, no unemployment, no pension. If the job is replaceable they can hire someone else and pay them less. Also insurance companies force employers to drug test.

A friend of mine retired from NASA after 30+ years. No drug tests for 30 years but had 5 'random' tests in his final year. He thought it was pretty obvious they were trying to find a reason to not pay his pension.

its not a federal law. they do not have to test.
i have worked for places that dont

i have worked for places that only suspend you if you fail

they can adjust the way they do #

he gets no pension anyway and yes he gets no unemployment.
he can get medicaid and food stamps though.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join