It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eggnog Yea or Nay?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yea!
(eggnog)

Dumb one line reply “suggestion”...

ETA: Brandy. Or maCapt’n Morgan. The higher the ABV average the better!!
edit on 21-12-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Egg nog is so great at the social gatherings. Stand around toasting each other with people you can't stand, watch your boss, the old geezer hitting on your girl friend, and Carl puking in the potted palm. Ray and Parker finally drunk enough to settle the score out in the parking lot.

Come on everyone lets sing some xmas carols and let's not forget the reason for the season........."oh little stars from beth lee him"....

edit on 21-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I love the taste of eggnog, but it is like my ex-wife, I regretted it afterwards.

I can't do very much nutmeg, it messes up my thinking and I need to avoid it. I also can't handle the milk, being slightly allergic to dairy. The lactose intolerance is not bad, I've always been a little constipated so it just makes me regular if I have a small glass, but too much and that is not good either.

I have problems with pumpkin pie for the same reasons, the milk allergy being the most predominant problem.

I really like stuff like that and will indulge occasionally but I have known for forty years I should not. When we make pumpkin pie now, we cut the nutmeg down to less than half and it tastes better, even the wife thinks so. Nutmeg seems to just be the dope, the taste we like is from the rest of the pie filling, but you know, I cannot give everything up that makes me sick, I have to have pie just to remind me that being normal and clear headed is a blessing.

Egg nog is like a few of those super sexy fun girls I dated in my twenties, I way overspent on them and wound up feeling poor-ly because I indulged.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Very yea... I prefer homemade. I actually have a quart aging in the Fridge since last year. Ben Franklin style from Alton Brown's recipe. Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yea! As long as I can grind some fresh nutmeg on top. Plus I never buy more than a quart, usually just a pint at a time, a week or so apart... Otherwise weight would balloon and my lactose intolerance would flare up. But I still love egg nog.

Personally prefer brandy or cognac, but bourbon/rye works well as an additive.

Wife usually says egg nog is too thick so I cut hers with milk (whole).
She also demands whipped creme under her nutmeg. Seems like cognitive dissonance to me...

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
stuffs ok but i hate drinking something so thick i fell like i should be chewing

thats why i do 50/50 rum and eggnog really tho i can drink good run straight but that tends to end the fun way to soon

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Yea. Pennsylvania Dutch. And half the family loves it and the other half gags. I love it.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I used to like it as a kid, but nowadays I just can't enjoy it. Not even booze helps it.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thank-you very much for the compliment.So,we agree on something
finally,booze,it's a start.I will slowly teach you my old wisdom,I am
patient!

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I just experimented by making my morning coffee/latae with eggnog and cut will a little milk.

Not bad!

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

Yes to nutmeg & cognac!

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Late last night I had a shot glass size of eggnog and dozed right off.
Eggnog always makes me sleepy.
Correction here...it was not a shot glass,it was a juice glass of eggnog.

edit on 22-12-2018 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
What kind of question is this Jag?

Eggnog is one of the great joys of the Christmas Season.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Can't stomach the stuff. Just can't do it. I've never been able to drink it, not even as a kid. Don't know why either.

Same with Cilantro. That stuff tastes like soap which I understand is a genetic thing. Some people can eat it, some cannot.

Garlic smells like burning rubber to me and I will start gagging in a place like Olive Garden. Garlic + white sauce = NO Thank You.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I used to love it as a kid, then I didn't have it for a long time in my 20's. Loved that little hint of nutmeg and the milkshake like consistency, so rich and yummy. In my mid 30's I was stationed in SE Asia and they had this candied fruit around the holidays everyone was raving about. Some of the local girls kept bugging me to try it (and giggling). They were eating the stuff like candy, so I figured what the heck. It kind of looked like dried pears with a sugary coating on it. Didn't smell like anything really, just sweet smelling. **shrug** I popped a medium sized piece of it in my mouth and bit down and...

....OH MY GAWD!!!!....

It was the most INTENSE, overwhelming, unimaginably strong, literally blow your socks right off your feet, nutmeg flavor imaginable!! It was PURE nutmeg fruit (not the seed, ground, but the actual fruit the seed comes from)! I instantly could not breathe, it was like my diaphragm just siezed. And within...one nanosecond...I automatically and involuntarily hurled a technicolor sidewalk pizza (i.e. puked). Within seconds I was on my hands and knees gagging, and gasping desperately for air. It was so intense it was unbelievable! Every breath I managed to take was like nutmeg flavor times 10,000x! This just made me gag even more. I literally thought I was going to lose consciousness...and almost did! One of my colleagues handed me a paper cup of hot black coffee which I shot down like a shot of whiskey (scorching my tongue and throat). Even though my mouth was now on fire, at least I could breathe!

After that I drank about 20 glasses of water, and lemonade and anything else I could lay my hands on. I think I chewed a whole pack of spearmint gum to try to get that flavor out of my mouth!

To this day, I can't even be in the same room as the spice nutmeg, or the eggnog it goes in. I instantly have this gag reflex to nutmeg.

It was such a violent reaction that I can't even really take a bite of dried pears without halfway gagging just remembering how that stuff looked.

I will NEVER forget that experience!

So, I might be able to handle egg nog...just so long as it didn't have nutmeg in it!

Oh, and if you ever have the opportunity to try the fruit of nutmeg...DON'T DO IT!!!

ETA - BTW, they call the stuff Manisan Pala in Indonesia and Malaysia, and I guess there are varying intensities of the stuff (and this was homemade), but considering nutmeg is the same spice they make Mace out of it's no wonder it totally blew me up. BEWARE!
edit on 12/23/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Nope!

My Dad was Pennsylvania Dutch and he asked me to make it for him every year when I was old enough to cook/follow recipes until I left home.

I really couldn't stand the smell...but, he liked milk and pepsi and burnt cookies too so...
edit on 23-12-2018 by TNMockingbird because: horrific spelling!

posted on Dec, 24 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Okay, so I have an update of sorts!

Went to the store today for a couple last minute things. As I walked by the milk cooler I noticed they had egg-nog, and I immediately thought of this thread. They had regular kind, and they had 'pumpkin spice' kind and then they had one labeled 'vanilla'. I picked it up and looked at it and the ingredients had no nutmeg (YAY!), so I thought what the heck and grabbed a half gallon.

Of course I couldn't pass the liquor store on the way to the car, so I picked up some Captain Morgan's spiced 100 (proof) rum.

Got home and tried some of the egg-nog straight...WOW, DELICIOUS!! Yummy all the way! Then I dumped in a nice slug of the Captain's rum. OH MAN!!

I feel like a kid again!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join