It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the new 2019 Senate approve the Current House Budget and fund the wall in January?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is a serious question. I know the Senate is right now voting on whether to have a vote on the House Budget. My question is... If the ShutDown Happens, and it lasts until the new Senate is sworn in, which will have MORE Republicans then are currently there, Can the new January Senate approve the Funding of the Wall from the Current House Bill passed?

Sorry if this is an obvious yes or no answer, I'm genuinely curious, as I'm not sure how the timing of all this is allowed.

It seems like Trump with the Current 2018 GOP House and Trump with the Next 2019 GOP Senate, may have found a loop hole to get his wall?

Is that possible?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It will still require democratic. support because it will require 60 votes to pass it. Neither party can do it without help from the other side.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Interesting question! After searching around all I could find was in a .pdf which I'm not sure how to link to, but I think relates to your question:

Once a Congress adjourns, however, at the end of its two-year cycle, all bills that have been introduced in either the House or the Senate that have not made it through the entire legislative process and signed into law are dead. This includes bills that may have passed both the House and the Senate but were never finalized and sent to the President for his signature; bills that passed one house (either the House or the Senate) but not the other; bills that were the subject of committee or subcommittee hearings but were never considered by either house; and bills that never got more action after being introduced.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
Interesting question! After searching around all I could find was in a .pdf which I'm not sure how to link to, but I think relates to your question:

Once a Congress adjourns, however, at the end of its two-year cycle, all bills that have been introduced in either the House or the Senate that have not made it through the entire legislative process and signed into law are dead. This includes bills that may have passed both the House and the Senate but were never finalized and sent to the President for his signature; bills that passed one house (either the House or the Senate) but not the other; bills that were the subject of committee or subcommittee hearings but were never considered by either house; and bills that never got more action after being introduced.

Interesting! Thank you, so it sounds like to me the Senate and President have till January 3rd, 2019 to even consider this bill and if not voted on and signed, they have to start all over? I understand the GOP Senate can use the Nuclear Option to only require 51 votes, but even if they use that option, there's no guarantee they'll get the 51 Votes from the CURRENT Senate.

Interesting Times, thank you for that information!

top topics

join