It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: HIV Rate Among U.S. Blacks Doubles in a Decade

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
HIV infection among blacks has doubled in the last decade. Many are alarmed by these findings. The rate among whites has remained stable. The study did not include the homeless, those in the military or prisoners, so the figures are thought to underestimate the problem.

www.usatoday.com
The HIV infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites - stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said.
Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released yesterday in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world's chief scientific gathering on the disease.

"It's incredibly disappointing," said Terje Anderson, Director of the National Association of People With AIDS. "We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively."

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In my opinion, the advance of HIV infection among certain groups will not abate as long as behavior is not modified to decrease the risk of infection. The "experts" do little to help the problem by naming things such as poverty and lack of access to health care as causes of transmission. The article also fails to note that many blacks around the world either refuse to believe that HIV causes AIDS or they believe that HIV is an engineered virus directed toward them by the government or governments.

Related News Links:
www.hindustantimes.com

www.globalchange.com
www.philly.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Black Americans Suspect HIV Plot
Is HIV Actually Harmless??
NEWS: Gay Concern over Hyping AIDS 'Superbug'

[edit on 05/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Personal immorality is destructive. This is not a fault of the government, personal responsibility must come into account at some point within someones life.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Black people can't just be the only ones that are having more sex...

is it possible that there is an agenda in those claims...where the focus seem to be on a specific race of people...

smell fishy to me!

[edit on 26-2-2005 by mwen]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The article also fails to note that many blacks around the world either refuse to believe that HIV causes AIDS or they believe that HIV is an engineered virus directed toward them by the government or governments.

Yes, and for good reasons. Can you provide me with statistical data that coincides with your own personal findings that "many" blacks have a disposition to believe that HIV does not cause Aids, or that it is an engineered virus?

The "experts" do little to help the problem by naming things such as poverty and lack of access to health care as causes of transmission.

And, what's your alternative? You fail to realize that inadequate healthcare facilities coupled with an even more deleterious abstinence program propounded by the Goverment leads to a higher risk of transmiting HIV. The goverment has not exactly been chief in propogating and allocating funds towards Aids prevention programs that don't reak with religious bias: we all the know the scandal that occured some months back with teens catching aids by touching another teens genitals, and if you don't believe me, ask the Goverment, they funded these programs..

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

You take the researchers word in believing that that the HIV infection rate in Africans Americans has doubled, yet contest thier findings as to why is has doubled, and then, furthermore, provide no alternative as to why African Americans are catching this virus bar the reasons given. Why is that?

The answer lies chiefly in the following excerpt from your article:

Researcher Eyasu Teshale of the CDC said the gap represents "a substantial unmet health care need."

Personal immorality is destructive. This is not a fault of the government, personal responsibility must come into account at some point within someones life.

Are you insinuating that African Americans are immoral ergo the substantial boost in HIV in their communities? I'm not sure where one makes a bridge between morality and HIV.

Chaff.

Deep

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Why don't you read the links I provided with the article before you start with the attacks, Zero? Why don't you Google the subject yourself and see what you find? Maybe, you'd find the answers to your own questions.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
i dont really understand why this rate is so high among the black population in america.
do they practice more unprotected sex?
are there more intravenous users among the black people?
are there more gays among the black people?

the debate if HIV was really man made is very delicate.
i really dont know myself.
it is highly possible that HIV is a huge medical conspiracy,
but we lack some good evidence for that.
speculations are not enough.

i understand that there is more HIV cases in poor countires,
that cannot afford protection against it,
nor can they afford any medical help or treatment.
maybe that is the case with the black population in america.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Grady,

I contested your viewpoints. I am talking to you, I don't need to google anything when I'm debating with you.

This is not an attack, nor am I one to attack someone; I merely contested.

Deep

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm not going to debate (if debate is even the right word for what is really bickering) with you, Zero, just because you contest what I have said and provided documentation for. Everything I've said in the original post is substantiated and the links support that. There is simply nothing to debate. We would all be better served if you would link to material that supports another viewpoint and we could all make up our own minds.

[edit on 05/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You don't have to be a xenophobic klansman to figure out that hiv among blacks, gays and needlejockeys is first of all due to behaviour, I mean, many poor mexican immigrants have even less access to healtcare and welfare, still their hiv rates are lower , would Jesse Jackson care to explain how come ?

No, it's rather racist to point at white scientists as HIV conspiritors, start looking in own pants instead!

[edit on 26-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well anyways from my own personal experience and observations. I have only had sex with 3 black woman and neither one of them even bothered to mention me using a condom. On the other end, I have had sex with many more white and hispanic woman , of who the majority refuse to have sex without protection. Evene when I talk to my black friends they don't really care to speak about STD's or using condoms or what have you. They look at me funny sometimes when I bring it up. Maybe their minds are percieving something that we are not? I dont know if you ask me though yes it has to do with their own behavior.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I wonder why my mother tells me that the Spanish population has the highest incident of HIV, as far as our Island of PR, is an epidemic.

So I wonder if perhaps is some reason as why the highest rates are given to Blacks over Hispanic now.

If the rates were amount Blacks over all I will said yes, but only in the US is something we should worry about.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm not going to debate (if debate is even the right word for what is really bickering) with you, Zero, just because you contest what I have said and provided documentation for. Everything I've said in the original post is substantiated and the links support that. There is simply nothing to debate. We would all be better served if you would link to material that supports another viewpoint and we could all make up our own minds.

GradyPhilpott, I believe if you are going to present something on a site, then give commentary including links, then you should be ready to back up your claims. ZeroDeep presents extremly well versed points.

You should look into what he has to say. Not your silly 'sources'.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
GradyPhilpott, I believe if you are going to present something on a site, then give commentary including links, then you should be ready to back up your claims. ZeroDeep presents extremly well versed points.

You should look into what he has to say. Not your silly 'sources'.

What silly sources? Do I have to respond to every challenge? Am I stopping anyone from posting and defending an opposing view? Are you in charge here?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder why my mother tells me that the Spanish population has the highest incident of HIV, as far as our Island of PR, is an epidemic.

So I wonder if perhaps is some reason as why the highest rates are given to Blacks over Hispanic now.

marg

It's probably because you were such a wild child that your mother was trying to instill the fear into you.

Now that you're married she doesn't have to worry anymore.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Actually my mother tells me now, when we talk in the phone, I was not allowed to be wild, Jsobecky, I was chaperoned in the Spanish tradition until the day I got engage to be married.

My father would not have it any other way. I was not the typical girl, I was protected.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
i dont really understand why this rate is so high among the black population in america.
do they practice more unprotected sex?
are there more intravenous users among the black people?
are there more gays among the black people?

These are all very real possibilities to explain the problem. Another reason may be that blacks have sex with more partners than other races.

In Africa, where the AIDs epidemic is raging, many men refuse to wear condoms because they feel it makes them "less manly". So AIDS is spread because of unprotected sex.

Let's face it, there are only a few ways to get AIDS. Unprotected sex, sharing needles, and tainted blood transfusions (very unlikely). So it comes down to behavior. And I find it very difficult to believe that in 2005 America that anyone above the age 14 is unaware of how to catch AIDS.

Behavior. If you want to prevent yourself from getting AIDS, act prudently.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Aids usually thrives in the poorer places in the world where education, treatment and early detection is lacking. Since i think behavior would not be something that is likely to be based on race I would assume that this portion of Americas population has not yet fully re-covered from the days of segregation and discrimination as a whole. These practices did end about 50 years ago but it seems possible that much of Americas black population still live in communities that aren't as well off as many other areas.

I'm not saying this is the reason for sure since i don't know a lot about America in general but could this not be a possibility?

[edit on 26-2-2005 by Trent]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
Aids usually thrives in the poorer places in the world where education, treatment and early detection is lacking. Since i think behavior would not be something that is likely to be based on race I would assume that this portion of Americas population has not yet fully re-covered from the days of segregation and discrimination as a whole. These practices did end about 50 years ago but it seems possible that much of Americas black population still live in communities that aren't as well off as many other areas.

I'm not saying this is the reason for sure since i don't know a lot about America in general but could this not be a possibility?

[edit on 26-2-2005 by Trent]

Most American blacks live in urban areas, and the inner cities. Education and decent jobs have helped some to move out of these areas, but the majority are still there. Some live in rural areas, but I doubt very much if they affect these research numbers.

Every city has a clinic of some sort where free condoms can be obtained. Television and other sources constantly remind us of the necessity to practice safe sex.It's up to the individual to do it; you can lead a horse to water, etc. Remember it only takes one time to get infected.

I don't understand how segregation of 60 years ago affects today's AIDS numbers; I doubt it does. Regardless of where they live, it still comes down to behavior. Nearly 70% of black children are born outside of wedlock, which means a weak family structure and all the attendant problems.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Remember that the poorest blackman in the crappiest ghetto of New York still lives better than 90% of the earth's population. Stop making excuses & start wearing a condom.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
These results are not new findings, in an earlier thread were morality was being discussed I brought up statistics that showed that gays and especially Black gays have the maximum percentage of HIV in the community. But it was put off as just more radical Anglican propaganda. The problem is people refuse to accept that they have a problem, they automatically develop preconceived notions on the intent of the reports and thus dismiss them as lies. What is the use of such analysis if people aren't willing to listen to them and accept that they have a problem??
Another reason that the Black community suffers is due to the general state of lawlessness and reckless abandon that most of the Black youth of today exhibit, (don’t get me wrong here, I'm not trying to bash any community :up
most have no family, no relatives etc which makes them believe that their life isn't so precious as to preserve it. It isn't possible that they don't know about HIV or about how it spreads, they just don't care enough whether they live or die!

Even thought the US of A is the worlds most prosperous nation it is very paradoxical that such a large section of our society is manacled by a supposedly "third world" problem?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join