It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump legalizes hemp

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
My neighbor raised his first crop of industrial hemp this year. Like you said, it’s hard work!

I am more interested in the plants for CBD oil with THC. I hope my state goes legal next time around. I am ready and in place, to go on an indoor grow house. We are looking at converting an 8000 sf, metal building for year around cultivation of specific strains. I think the money will be in cloning a few good strains and selling the plants.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Certainly not a botanist here, but as I understand it; it's the same species, but a different genus.

(that probably made no sense at all, but hey)

Basically; ruderalis, hemp, indica, ducksfoot, thoroughbred sativas; all of the cannabis genus, which is a subgenus of cannabaceae, of which hops are a member - beer and cannabis are cousins, lol

I had heard that they are related. Truly no surprise that many things from the plant world are usable other than food and man utilizing them for various reasons, is natural.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Well, all the weed removal is strictly by hand. They don't/can't spray it, at least not that I saw. Other than that, yeah, it pretty much just grows.

I'd like to see that purpose built harvesting gear! It's got to be like a regular harvester with mini-chainsaws built into the cutting head!

At one point these guys brought in a second tractor (and these are BIG tractors, the biggest they make actually, from the wheat fields). I didn't see it, but I think they were going to try running those tractors in tandem! Now THAT would have been a sight to see!! A push-me/pull-me arrangement hooked to a single disc. WOW!!! After they got the field disc'd they had to rake it back with a big cultivator just to get it flat again. And even with the big cultivator they had to stop about every 1-2 passes to untangle it.

I was just stunned at all the complications!

They had new guys show up this year (all Case). Last year the guys who came in were all Deere, and I think they said "screw this!". Next year I'll be it's all CAT. Hell, I wouldn't have been too surprised if they'd brought in some dozers with ripper teeth on them! Take forever, but it would 'Git-R-Done!'

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
... now he legalizes hemp production...

Technically, hemp has been decriminalized.

I'm not trying to play semantics. There is a significant distinction. Nature did not make this blessed healing plant criminal -- man did that. Trump has simply undone that act.

It never should have been criminalized to begin with. Doing so was the real crime and it was a crime against humanity itself.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Man I hate Trump, why does he keep doing all of these stupid things. First he pulls our troops out of countries we don't belong in and now he legalizes hemp production and therefore CBD oil which helps alot of people with various medical issues without a prescription. What in the hell is wrong with him?

thehill.com...

President Trump legalized the cultivation of industrial hemp Thursday when he signed a widespread, bipartisan farm bill aimed at boosting the agriculture industry.

Read up on this to fully understand what is going on. wiki At least IMO that is.

This is not meant to allow people to get “stoned” by any means for recreational purposes.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
On a side note, cannabis production makes one hell of a dove feild. Those birds love the seeds. The birds were so fat they could hardly fly.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Technically, hemp has been decriminalized.

Tell that to law enforcement!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This has been in the works for a little while. I was actually supposed to have a processing facility down the road but the guy opening it got into some legal trouble and had to pull out to pay his fees.

Which sucks because I would've loved to have some cheap, local, hemp to use in my beers. It may not have THC in it but I'm thinking it would give me a really dank flavor in my IPAs.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Huh, that's interesting!

I wonder if pheasants would do the same????

VERY INTERESTING (now that you mention it). About two parcels over from where these guys have the hemp operation is a big pheasant hunting area where I train my dogs. I'll bet I could get dibs on that hemp field pretty easy! The hemp guys are probably anti-hunting so they wouldn't go for it I'm sure, but they don't own the land, and I know the guy who does.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Tell that to law enforcement!

LOL! I have actually and been pleasantly surprised to find they have agreed... or, at least, strongly felt they had better things to do than bust folks that just want to get lazy and stupid on their own dime.

One sheriff deputy told me that pot smokers are the easiest people to arrest, and are most likely to just admit their "crime" and accept the consequences! He said he'd give them a warning more often than not.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Here's a video a friend of mine had put together to promote his business, he's a fairly big name in the hemp business.

It shows one of his harvesting machines a minute or so in, they're beasts lol

Video is only 3:00 long,

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
More harvesters

Cutting It

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Wow! Ya'll must be imbibing lot's of Christmas cheer!

Things ARE getting crazy, though...pulling out of Syria; halving the troops in Afghanistan. The MIC must be apoplectic.(Now there's an old fashion word)

Is Trump beginning to act like a lame duck president? Meaning he has decided to not run in two years?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Just think... IF the old Southern landowners had started to grow Cannabis in lieu of Cotton, they would've been inundated with "volunteers" instead of having to import their workforce...

We only need to look at Henry Anslinger et al. and the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 when Hank was looking out for the looooong GREEN$$ of J.P. Morgan; Hearst and the like.

prohbtd.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

* Interesting note on the spelling as "Marihuana" is a gov't. issued name to make Cannabis appear to be "Hispanic" due to the FACT that if 'white women smoke marihuana they may end up with Negroes and/or jazz musicians... I snip You not.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Which sucks because I would've loved to have some cheap, local, hemp to use in my beers. It may not have THC in it but I'm thinking it would give me a really dank flavor in my IPAs.

I like the way you think!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Hemp was grown during WWII for rope. How was it harvested then? Is it a difference in how the plants are spaced or how mature they are when harvested? Looking at the video the plants appear to be very closely spaced so the stems are relatively small diameter. I have grown sunflowers that had had huge stems yet sunflowers are grown and harvested

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Very cool! I figured it must be something like that, with very aggressive cutting heads.

That's some highly specialized equipment right there!

Question though...is that straight hemp, or is it Hemp-Flax? The stuff I see around here is not nearly that tall. It's more squat.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LeoLeoMidWest

Hemp stalk is one of the strongest natural fibres on the planet, so it stands to reason that hemp is more labour intensive to harvest than sunflowers.

Decorticators had already been developed by WW2, they've just been improved since then.

Decorticator

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

Hemp's not a particularly labour intensive crop to grow, it basically takes care of itself through the growing season and requires no added ferts (depending on local substrate) or insecticides.

It is a b*tch to harvest though, as you say, but with dedicated purpose-built gear it's easy and straight forward enough.

It's a fantastic crop from so many angles it's not even funny. It was even gaining some massive momentum back during the 20's and 30's for plastics, textiles, and fuel source, but I believe those were just another nail in it's coffin, because of it's industrial competitors.

Basically no one was a land barron growing hemp, so it got squashed with no issues.

Glad to see it back environmentally, because it's tremendous for top-soil retention, in areas where trees have not fully taken root yet.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Thanks for the link. That first video looks like the hemp I see around here, very stalky and bushy. And if you look closely in that video you can see the root structure left behind. This is the stuff I was talking about where they were trying to sweep it, but no-joy. So they had to resort to disc'ing.

I'm sure these guys are still learning the ropes because they've only been doing it for a couple years. That's some pretty specialized gear, so I guess they're making sure they can make money before investing in that kind of equipment. You wouldn't really need that kind of harvesting equipment for anything else...it would be overkill by 50x.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join