It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many musicians do we have here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just curious to see how many other musicians are around, and what typoes of music you guys play/are influenced by, and who your favorite artists are that play your instrument.

I have been playing guitar since I was 15, about 10 years. I started out on Metallica (Kill 'Em All is a great starter for metal guitar), and really anything I could pick up. I have a very good ear and that's how I learned almost everything I know. Never took a lesson in my life. Anyway, my favorite guitarists of all time is easily Dimebag Darrel (I can play alot of his stuff, but only rhythm, his lead rides are way out of my league). and James Hetfield. Never really got into playing lead, I'm just not that good at it. I'll give just about any rhythm player a run for his money though.

Anyway, my influences are:

For heavy stuff: Metallica, Pantera, Killswitch Engage, Godsmack, TOOL, Six Feet Under (for music, not lyrical content), Corrosion of Conformity, Megadeth, Nirvana, Ozzy Osbourne, etc...

For mellow electric/acoustic guitar: Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Days of The New, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, The Hadden Sayers Band, Ian Moore, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Dave Matthews Band, Tim Reynolds, Tantric, etc...

There are TONS more, of course, that's just what came off the top of my head.

So how 'bout it? Where are the shredders, drummers, singers, bass players, tambourine girls (gotta have those ), pianists, or whatever, and what or who inspires you?

[edit on 2/26/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
guitar: I play everthing, or at least been able to at some time in the past. Though, my favorite (at least playing, anyway) is heavy and crunchy and original. Influences pretty much the same as yours put with some Page and Hendrix thrown in there. Accoustically, well, I play a lot of different stuff. I'm really into the grateful dead's stuff, right now.

Bass: again, distortion/overdrive is fun! I like playing the Doors songs and try to keep up with marley and the wailers, as well as tool. Also just like making stuff up and jamming.

Piano. I can only play classical; a residue from taking lessons as a child.

I'm not really good at any of them (people say I am, but usually not musicians
) I've been playing piano for my whole life, guitar for 12 years, and bass for 8 years.

Oh, I suck at reading music and can't sing (but great at yelling/screaming and chris barns impressions)

[edit on 2/26/05 by poonchang]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Oh yeah, Jimmy and Jimi are givens.

I would like to learn to play the piano, I certainly have the hands for it, and the musical inclination, but I don't have one, nor a keyboard, so... I can pick out melodies easily enough, but it's making both my hands do different things at the same time that kills me. That's why I don't polay the drums. I can keep a beat but I can't separate my hands from my feet, I always get jumbled up.

Chris Barnes is the man! I wish their lyrics weren't so, um, well, EVIL, but I get a kick out of his voice and Alan West is awesome. I liked his work with Obituary too.

I can play the bass but not very well so I didn't list it heheh.

I can sing pretty well too, but no screaming. It just hurts my throat, I can't do it.

I'm the same way though, I feel like I suck, but people who don't play or sometimes even other musicians tell me I'm really good. I just don't take it that well I guess. It's like I put myself up next to my heroes and it's like Wayne's World:
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

It's all relative I guess...

[edit on 2/26/05 by The Axeman]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well Axeman, I've been playing the piano for 10 years, and passed my grade 8, about to do grade 6 clarinet, I play guitar, and drums, but my main talent is singing!

I'm lucky to go to such a musically talented college! My music is my life!

I sing in a band called Mild Steel with three other mates of mine, and we're preparing for our first gig soon!

My main influences are Metallica, Creed, Nirvana, Feeder, Green Day, Linkin Park, and Queen!

Whereas my vocal inspiration comes from Jon Bon Joiv, Elton John, Def Leppard, Kristan Leontiou, and Brad Arnold (3 Doors Down)!

Nice to know there's other musicians out there on ATS!

Anyone else in a band, and where 'r you based?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm in a band, Mad Parish. We're based out of Monteal. I been playing drums for about 9 years, even before then I can remember playing random stuff I could find around the house. I listen to all kinds of music. My bands sound can be discribed as power metal with a hint of prog and oldschool Rock. Our main influences are: Iron Maiden, Zepplin, Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by RaDIO_GnOmE]

[edit on 27-2-2005 by RaDIO_GnOmE]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Q. What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

A. A drummer.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I play the Alto Sax.

I once as a child heard Kenny G play, and from that day i wanted to learn Sax,

So i did
I love to play

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

A. A drummer.

ha ha, I've been drumming for 32 years. every thing from George Jones to Mega Death, heavy metal is my favourite

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

A. A drummer.

That's one of my favorites MA. Here's another that fits your description there...

Q. How do you get a gutiar player off of your front porch?

A. Pay him for the pizza.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Come on y'all, is that it?!?!

You gotta be kidding me... :shk:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I play all 3 out of the 4 main Saxes. Alto, Tenor and Bari.

Love it, been playing for 4 years.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I play guitar and bass. Well, i say bass... Who can t play bass? The only real talented bassist who's songs you cant just pick up and play (that i know of) is flea of the chilli peppers. He is a mean player.

Mainly i play guitar though. Been playing about 2 years now. I'm not great but im good enough. If that makes sense.

Main influences are:

Green Day (probably my biggest), The Beatles, The Red Hot Chillis, Metallica, The Who, Sex pistols (well, i hope so anyway), queen and probably a helluva lot more too.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Who can t play bass? The only real talented bassist who's songs you cant just pick up and play (that i know of) is flea of the chilli peppers. He is a mean player.

wow....that was a somewhat i wanna say ignorant comment , but ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say you were just joking.

theres alot of great bassists out there.....check out victor wootin (sp?) usually plays with bela fleck, or even stephan lessard of dave matthews band......
that said im also a musician......mainly the guitar and vocals(if that counts)
but i also dabble in the drums or percussion instruments aswell....and i have a background in piano....but my real passion is songwriting!!!!cool to see all the musicians out there!:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I got a guitar for my fifteenth birthday, figuring that, since I was 5'2" and had zits, maybe learning to play guitar would get me the women.

It didn't.

But I have been playing ever since, which means 45 years as of last December. I picked up the 5-string banjo when I was 20 and started teaching both when I was about 22, so I've been teaching (mostly part-time) for 38 years.

My big influences on the guitar depend on what I'm playing. For classical, Andres Segovia and Julian Bream; for flamenco, Torquato Zamora and Manitas de Plata; for bluegrass, Clarence White and Tony Rice; for blues, BB King; and for country rock, it'd be Jerry Reed and James Burton.

For the 5-string, Earl Scruggs, of course; Ralph Stanley for his tone on his old 1929 RB-3 Archtop, and Bill Emerson, who is a clean as anyone in the world and was my instructor when I was coming up.

But my biggest influence as a musician was Dr. Frank Scimonelli, the First Chair post horn player for the US Navy Band, chairman of the Music Department at Prince George's College in the 1960's, and my professor for one theory course, both harmony coursea, an orchestration and a modal counterpoint courses.

He also led an 18-piece standards band doing Basie and Ellington arrangements which I was fortunate enough to play in for three years.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

From Saturday night. I keep busy.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yeah, drums count, try to do without them cretins.
Chalk me up.

Vocals, only 2 notes in Jesus Christ Superstar I have yet to hit, on the high side, bass is easy.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Where is a good place to get FREE sheet music or guitar/bass tabs? I usually end up trying to navigate through a bunch of crap sites that don't even have music (Spam), or find that the tabs are horrible and usually wrong. It seems that only the most popular sheetmusic is free, also. Any suggestions?

Thanks-

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'm mainly into playin' guitar, but also play the drums, bass, and piano (started out with classical training). I pretty much play in the style of 80s metal, you know fast leads and flashy antics. I'm mostly into playing Yngwie Malmsteen, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, and Steve Vai (with a little Michael Angelo Batio mixed in there)

Teach guitar and my specialty is shred, so we're gonna have little Vais and Van Halens runnin around

[edit on 12-3-2005 by malmsteen]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I sing. Mostly classical - opera, Italien arias, German Lieder, etc. I also *love* singing musicals. I'm pretty much a mezzo soprano- I've got a huge voice, but I don't like it all that much.

I've played percussion since elementarty school, played bells in drumline for four years and am now trying to learn the Bodhran.

I can play piano but I can't sigh read.

I love playing recorder, tin whistle and especially ocarina. And at one point I could sorta play a flute.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_

Who can t play bass? The only real talented bassist who's songs you cant just pick up and play (that i know of) is flea of the chilli peppers. He is a mean player.

wow....that was a somewhat i wanna say ignorant comment , but ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say you were just joking.

theres alot of great bassists out there.....check out victor wootin (sp?) usually plays with bela fleck, or even stephan lessard of dave matthews band......

Part joke and part serious. Note that is says that i know of. But bass is easy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join