It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Donald Trump pull troops out of Syria and Afghanistan so he wouldn't have to visit a war zone?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
A couple of weeks ago, Donald Trump was taking heat for never having visited troops in a war zone.

Less than a month later, he's pulling troops out of Syria and drastically reducing troop deployment in Afghanistan.

I wonder if he's doing this just so that he can avoid having to visit troops in a combat zone. It would be a remarkable thing for any Commander in Chief to do, but given Trump's apparently avid fear of all things military and his famous record of being a five time draft dodger, coupled with his documented fear of being assassinated or poisoned, it would make sense.

Thoughts?

Is this really even worth a thread? Christ..

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

I agree this deserves its own thread, it was very informative. I don’t know why you don’t have more stars.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

I think it may have a lot more to do with Erdogan having apprised Trump that he was going to move on the Kurds and he got scared.

For those who want to say "Bring our boys home ooo-rah", clearly have not spent a day in Military service.

By the way, think down the road what abandoning our commitments will bring to bear? Here's a hint: Osama Bin Laden.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
I don’t think that is the main reason, however I think it could be on his mental checklist on reasons not to be there.
Maybe even subconsciously, it influenced his decision.

High on his list I think, was his need to make Turkey and Russia happy. He seems to be a fan of hardball leaders.

So you want to ramp up US participation in Syria and with the Kurds, because thats how you do exactly that. To what end? an endless proxy war with Russia costing more lives and billions of dollars, and where are we going to carve out a home land for the Kurds exactly, thats not going to be again constantly at war. Both noble efforts, but we dont have the resources to get anything but the never ending stalemate/conflict cycle. Time to pull out let the region stabilize, and reassess our goals and what we can do about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Truly bizarre, a lot of valid criticisms exist or can be made of Trump's decision to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria. But criticisms without merit detracts from the valid criticisms of Trump's latest blunder. This is the story of how Trump has survived politically despite his numerous appalling political and foreign policy blunders. If Trump's detractors kept their political gun powder fresh for his genuine missteps, retained their sanity and constructed coherent rational arguments, than he would lose the 2020 presidential election.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11

Truly bizarre, a lot of valid criticisms exist or can be made of Trump's decision to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria. But criticisms without merit detracts from the valid criticisms of Trump's latest blunder. This is the story of how Trump has survived politically despite his numerous appalling political and foreign policy blunders. If Trump's detractors kept their political gun powder fresh for his genuine missteps, retained their sanity and constructed coherent rational arguments, than he would lose the 2020 presidential election.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Thats the problem right there in a nutshell instead of wanting to do their jobs effectively, both sides load up with platitudes about the 2020 election. Do your job effectively and you wont have to worry about the opposites missteps.

Seriously how is Syria winnable? and the kurds situation for that matter. Syria was cluster.... from the beginning dumping arms into an un winnable situation with very shady groups, Russia isn't going to abandon one of its trading partners and its door to the middle east without a long costly fight. After nearly 3 decades its time to re evaluate whats going on and what can be accomplished and at what cost.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
He didn’t want to have to land ‘under sniper fire’ like the racist Hillary Clinton.

I wonder what next week’s “look what we made up about the President” post will be?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Probably because he knows the whole war is a farce. Where's isis been since Obama left??
Since former President Bush died, the 9/11 classified files are now declassified. Apparently they could only be declassified once he died.

So there must be interesting Information stating the war is a farce and a inside job. Leads me to think the letters hillary and the rest received at the funeral mentions this is some way. .. like" 9/11 declassified"
Something short and snappy.

That's my view.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   
President Trump cleaned up most of the problem created by this guy...

twitter.com...

And now, our brave men/women in uniform get to come home..thank God.

America and Americans FIRST.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
President Trump cleaned up most of the problem created by this guy...

twitter.com...

And now, our brave men/women in uniform get to come home..thank God.

America and Americans FIRST.

Well said.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

You have asked the right questions. But the lunatics are running the asylum, this is seen in the advent of Trump Derangement Syndrome and the return of McCarthyism. Trump's decision to withdraw troops from Syria isn't the product of policy debates among his national security team/inner cabinet. Trump's decision stems from his inter-war America First foreign policy, administration for authoritarian regimes (Russia, China and Saudi Arabia) and his flawed character. Trump's character is blend of General MacArthur's megalomania, and Jacksonian tendencies.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   

In Syria he's just repeating Bush's mistake ... Mission Accomplished.

The Afghanistan move is an insult to the troops who've lost their lives fighting in that war , it gives the Taliban the freedom to retake control.
Short sighted move from Mr Magoo.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

The reason is the military build up of Russia,China,Iran in Central america,the NWO is trying to take over Venenzuela,the elite protecting the petrol dollar,this could be the end in more ways then one,kind of a lame reason you came up with but seems to be norm of millenium of these days,too much TV,and social media,facts are too boring

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

So you would assume that doing what we have been asking for is nefarious. He is scared and its a personal choice.???

I can't take you people seriously anymore.

This is good. And yet there is still criticism.

Whatever. Less people for me to worry about. Y'all are dead to me.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   

If your title should be true, then I would say it is as good a reason as any.

Including him not having to send anyone else into a war zone.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
So this depends on what he means by pulling troops out. Lets say for this purpose there are 20,000 US troops in AFG and Syria. The US may only be paying for 5,000 of them to be there so the MSM media can report that the US is bringing troops home, When in fact the other 15,000 will stay and not be funded by the US they will be funded from NATO funds. This was big during the last presidency they talked about all these troops coming home and a reduced foot print yet the latter really happened we started to pull NATO funds and the Government doesn't count that toward there numbers. I was deployed under the NATO system and seen this all first hand, just like when we first sent troops back when Trump got into office this really was to just cover the number of troops other NATO countries refused to pony up as some are starting to not send there troops back

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

None of the troops have been pulled out of any place , yet.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Am I the only one that feels like this is the preamble to the long rumored war with Iran?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

The barrel is overflowing as it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join