It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumpaphobia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Donald Trump has been compared to nearly every dictator in recent memory, from Hitler to Stalin to Mao Zedong.

It didn’t matter much that Trump is the most liberal, libertine and left-leaning of Republicans for decades, he has no less been accused of being far-right, racist, xenophobe sure to bring about a new fascism.

Even the scientists in charge of the infamous Doomsday Clock cited Donald Trump’s words as complicit in edging us closer to the end of humanity.

If one has a habit of blindly believing the predictions of journalists, technocrats and political elites, one surely had enough reason to be a little worried. But the problem remains, none of their premonitions bore themselves out.

As it turned out, Trump was not literally Hitler. (In fit of irony, one of Hitler's last surviving relatives—a true, literal Hitler—was avowedly anti-Trump). The lack of concentration camps, gulags, and great leaps forward revealed any comparison to past dictators to be specious at best, an ahistorical lie at worst. The policies that were sure to bring about nuclear war, internment camps, persecution, economic disaster, race wars, a dictatorship, resulted in little more than a mild inconvenience for those who, until then, were promised a Great Purge and Kristallnacht.

While a litany of experts sifted through Trump’s words for evidence of cognitive decline in order to urge politicians to invoke the 25th amendment, it never dawned on them that the conditions of their own mental health may be to blame.

With all the fear-mongering, it’s no strange wonder that in the midst of the hysteria, therapists throughout the United States hear the same name when dealing with their patient’s new-found anxieties: Donald Trump.

Elisabeth LaMotte of the DC Counselling and Psychotherapy Center said that, among her patients, “there is a fear of the world ending”. “Is he going to blow us all up,” one patient was said to ask.

In the preceding week after Trump’s election, there was a dramatic spike in traffic to the crisis text line, which offers support to those contemplating suicide.

In an interview with Politico, psychologists repeatedly returned to the theme of “gaslighting” as a likely cause of their patient’s anxiety and depression. Some blame Trump, of course.

But we do not live with the president. We do not interact with him. More often than not we are informed about Trump through a variety of middle-men, who just so happens to be the very same people who promised us the end of the world. And as the multitude of failed premonitions from experts, scientists, journalists, actors and politicians quickly piles up, revealing it all to be an exercise in crying wolf and fear-mongering, maybe its time to refocus our efforts on a different enemy.

Our mental health demands it.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

It didn’t matter much that Trump is the most liberal, libertine and left-leaning of Republicans for decades

Ok after giggling like a madman (see what I did there) at the OP trying to paint Trump has being "left-leaning" I got to the end of the thread.

TLDR version:

Awww guys I like trump so should you.
edit on 20-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
But but but..... ORANGE MAN BAD !!!

REEEEEEEEEEE

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I read all that to finally get to the end.

I can sum up this entire OP into one sentence.

‘Trump isn’t as bad as everyone thinks and also I like him.’

Your welcome

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Your welcome

It's easy to assert something, but it takes a little effort to make a convincing argument.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Thats really nice and all.

But....

Am pretty sure I could find a couple of minutes worth of footage showing Hitler as a "Moderate" Nazi if I really tried.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Pretty sure I could find a couple of minutes worth of footage showing Hitler as a "Moderate" Nazi if I really tried.

Go for it.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Your welcome

It's easy to assert something, but it takes a little effort to make a convincing argument.

And indeed you did make a good argument.
I am mostly just being a troll.

Everyone in my family besides me think Trump is just going to start dropping nukes and enslave the population.

It’s utterly ridiculous and I can’t stand listening it. I come from a gun hating super left family. Hence why I am not.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Even the scientists in charge of the infamous Doomsday Clock cited Donald Trump’s words as complicit in edging us closer to the end of humanity.

If one has a habit of blindly believing the predictions of journalists, technocrats and political elites, one surely had enough reason to be a little worried. But the problem remains, none of their premonitions bore themselves out.

As it turned out, Trump was not literally Hitler. (In fit of irony, one of Hitler's last surviving relatives—a true, literal Hitler—was avowedly anti-Trump). The lack of concentration camps, gulags, and great leaps forward revealed any comparison to past dictators to be specious at best, an ahistorical lie at worst. The policies that were sure to bring about nuclear war, internment camps, persecution, economic disaster, race wars, a dictatorship, resulted in little more than a mild inconvenience for those who, until then, were promised a Great Purge and Kristallnacht.

If you're looking for the people who are actually a danger to the American public and their families. Look no further than the politicians and MSM talking heads that want our troops to stay in Syria, Afganistan, etc. They exist on both sides of the aisle.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Pretty sure I could find a couple of minutes worth of footage showing Hitler as a "Moderate" Nazi if I really tried.

Go for it.

Kind of off-topic anyway.

Point is les this is just more of your usual "am going to swallow the thesaurus" make it sound smart but really when you look past all of your eloquent fluff, this thread can be summed up with you basically saying "I like Trump so you should to". There isn't really a point in this thread to debate once you break it down like that.

Its just the usual thread of lets pat each other on the back over who can suck up to Trump the most.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I see in Kanas that some Republicans are switching to the Democratic party (which could be a thread in itself). So I thought wouldn't it be funny if Trump did the same?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Go for it.

I used a video narrated by a historian. You used a video narrated by some kid.

Point is you have no point.
edit on 20-12-2018 by Propagandalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Go for it.

He kinda sounded like how I imagine your voice when I read your threads...

Like I said its totally off-topic all was saying is that you can make just about any monster sound like a good person with the right perspective, spin and cherry picking of facts and I think its fair to say that I have made that point.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Go for it.

He kinda sounded like how imagine your voice when I read your threads...

Like I said its totally off-topic all was saying is that you can make just about any monster sound like a good person with the right perspective, spin and cherry picking of facts and I think its fair to say that I have made that point.

No need to get angry. If you'd rather discuss the arguments as opposed to your strawmen, I'm all ears.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Go for it.

No need to get angry. If you'd rather discuss the arguments as opposed to your strawmen, I'm all ears.

Not angry, actually not taking this thread particularly seriously right now.

Find it quite funny, you amuse me.

Just like I find it amusing how you seem to misunderstand what a strawman argument is.

I get it you like Trump, thats fine, go for it, am not going to stop you just popped into say that we don't all have to agree with you

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Go for it.

Not angry, actually not taking this thread particularly seriously right now.

Find it quite funny, you amuse me.

Just like I find it amusing how you seem to misunderstand what a strawman argument is.

I get it you like Trump, thats fine, go for it, am not going to stop you just popped into say that we don't all have to agree with you

I know what a strawman is. For instance, You used a video called "The good things that Hitler did" to refute my argument that Trump is the most left-leaning, liberal, libertine Republican in decades.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I noticed in your list of dictators, you didn't include Kim Jong Un:

“He’s the head of a country and he’s the strong head. Don’t let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same." -Donald Trump, speaking about Kim Jong Un.

He literally said it himself. He wants "his people" (that's not really a thing in America) to treat him the same way Kim Jong Un's people treat him. He wants to be treated like a dictator.

It doesn't matter how left or right leaning he is. Dictators can lean any direction. He wants to be a dictator.
edit on 20-12-2018 by narrator because: typo

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

A very well-thought out post.

When reading it, the term "Trumpophobia" caught my eye. It sounds quite a bit like the oft-used "homophobia" that was once used to degrade conservatives. There is a huge difference, though. "Homophobia" was a misnomer from the start. The suffix "phobia" describes an irrational fear, such as "arachnophobia" (extreme fear of arachnids - spiders), "claustrophobia" (the extreme fear of enclosed spaces), or "germophobia" (the fear of disease). Precious few, if any, of those labelled as "homophobic" were displaying a fear of anything. In my case, I corrected that error with my own term which seemed more accurate: "homoapathetic."

In contrast, "Trumpophobia" appears to be accurate. Had I the time and inclination (which I do not, as any such endeavor would be summarily dismissed), I feel certain I could list enough news articles showing a definitive anti-Trump bias and inaccurate "facts" backing them up to fill the ATS database to bursting. I cannot count the number of times I have tried to engage in serious debate over Trump's policies, on everything from why he is considered "racist" to whether the tax cuts of 2107 were helpful to the middle class, to a recent thread where his change to SNAP policy was a move forward. In every case, with a few notable exceptions, the debates were derailed by easily-discredited untruths, but those untruths were held onto in an almost maniacal manner despite proof of the opposite being true.

That is an indication of a phobia.

The term "Trump Derangement Syndrome" (TDS) started as a joke, in an attempt (I believe) to point out the wild extents some will go to in order to falsely discredit a man. It was sarcasm. But then, over the months, people began to realize that TDS was not just a joke, but was likely closer than most would like to the truth. Of course, the sarcasm was lost on those who were so rabidly anti-Trump; they seemed to cry even louder and become even more irrational whenever those three letter were mentioned, further showing that TDS was, in fact, real.

In the first page of this very thread, we clearly see a well-thought-out OP being discounted using nothing more than a couple of lines of quick talking points taken directly from anti-Trump media sources, with no support whatsoever. We clearly see attempts to discredit statements using arguments applied exclusively to one side of the issue, despite obviously being quite applicable to both sides. This is happening in the context of a forum which encourages, and was once fairly famous for promoting, serious debate.

I do not pretend to know why this is happening; perhaps someone with more knowledge of human psychology can manage to weigh in on that. But I can clearly see it is happening. The anti-Trump hysteria that started in 2016 has overtaken the entire nation, and the implications of such an episode of mass hysteria is, to say the least, worrisome.

TheRedneck

<<   2 >>

join