It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Directs USDA To Expand Work Requirements For Food Stamps

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Aallanon

So, the Trump Administration bypassed Congress, because Trump couldn't get his agenda passed legislativiley. Then he bypasses "states' rights" to determine who is eligible for waivers, based on work availability in affected areas, etc., and then also force states to establish work training programs to occupy people for 20 hours a week, even in areas where there are no jobs.

Federal aid does not require any oversight from states. You should know that quite well as a Democrat.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

All well and good, but what if you already work and need SNAP benefits? do you have to now get this second "job" to get help... that would not be ok.

if you have zero job and get food stamps i am all for it. not for someone already working their butt off but can afford food because everything else is slowly getting more expensive and wages stay the same.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

States have the right to issue waivers. If a factory, for example, closes down, leaving 1500 workers unemployed in one town, a state can issue waiver for the people in that town, who can't find work within 3 months.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

States have the right to issue waivers. If a factory, for example, closes down, leaving 1500 workers unemployed in one town, a state can issue waiver for the people in that town, who can't find work within 3 months.

That has nothing to do with Federal Aid. SNAP is administered by the Department of Agriculture of which Donald Trump is the executive.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
the execution of it is going to be the clincher

human services does not run like a well oiled machine

oh but pregnant ladies get a pass..
cool.

going to have to jump through hoops to prove youre pregnant. then what happens when they lose your # or any other of the million things that go wrong.

it is a broken system.

people do game the system and its hard to blame them.

define game the system though.
here is an example. i will use myself

i left the foundry for a few months a while back and took a job making 2.50 an hour less than at the foundry. with that wage reduction we qualified for just under $500 a month in food stamps.

we spend about 500 a month on groceries. been like that for years.

so making the foundry wage i make 400 dollars a month more than the other job but i spend 0 on food and still have 500 in groceries.
i am better off

i went back to the foundry and lost the stamps.

how many people out there though would take the easier job for less money(cash) but in doing that you get free groceries so really you come out ahead by $100?

is that gaming the system?

really its quite a bit more than that because the wage reduction also allowed us to get medicaid. so less cash coming in but none going out for groceries and none going out for insurance. which means no copays and free scripts.

go get a 'better' job and make more cash but spend far more on groceries, insurance, copays and scripts.

when you look at it like that you cant really blame people for staying at the lower wage job since they come out ahead.

i cant roll that way.
i just cant look at my paystub making less working in an entry level type position.

the point is would you call that gaming the system?

not the same as using fake names and not working at all when you definitely can but you are choosing to make less so you can get more free.
totally within the law and the rules so i guess technically it is not gaming the system.

but that # happens a lot and you cant really blame people for playing within the rules and 'beating' the system

but since it can be gamed it needs to be looked at

i dont know what the answer is but there are a lot of 'scams' but not technically cause youre not doing anything outside the law or rules.

another one is people that get fired for drugs. this one really pisses me off.

so person A has a job. been there 5 years. making money. paying taxes.
he gets hit with a random, pops for weed so he is fired.

what does he do?

marches down to human services to get food stamps and medicaid because he does not have a job.

so instead of working and paying taxes and being productive he is getting free # from the state.

what the hell good was it to fire the dude?

ever think of that?

instead of paying state taxes on his wages and paying sales tax to his state on # he buys now he only pays sales tax on # he buys but he is paying it with money he gets for free from the state

its a head scratcher

people need to think about these things

there is how things should be and how things are

the above is how things are

happens every day in every state

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
and the employers supposedly do this to get a break on insurance???

i wonder what it works out to when you factor in things like

person A has been on the job 5 years

now they have to hire someone

that means interviews
that means pre employment drug testing(not everyone passes and the screens are not free)
that means they buy his met boots($200 about)
that means he is worth a # cause he dont know # and has to be trained

then a week or 3 weeks in he decides its just not for him and quits midway through his shift.

now the process starts over.
interviews. drug testing. new boots. training

until they land on someone that is capable and will actually show up

how much does that cost vs how much they catch a break on insurance?

i mean they had a dude that had been there 5 years
needs no training
knows the job
will not need boots except once a year

they could go through 4 dudes in 1 month before they land on someone who sticks.
thats $800 just in boots

seems counterproductive to me

forget about randoms

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: carewemust

63% of those here illegally get Food Stamps, and other Taxpayer-funded benefits. That's insane!

No they don't. "Non-citizens" are not necessarily illegal.

If these "non-citizens" entered the country without permission or overstayed their time then they are illegal. No matter what kind of leftists word game you try and play. There is a right way and a wrong way to do thing's.

Weird this must be explained daily to a bunch of adults...

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

SNAP is part of the Farm Bill. The Farm Bill is a "bill", legislated and approved by Congress, not by the Oval Office or the Executive Branch.
edit on 20-12-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I wonder if the work requirement will be based on how much $ in benefits a person receives? Just curious because years ago I was laid off...it happens in construction, and thought I'd apply and if I qualified, why not get a bit of help. I was able to do it 100% online. I doubt I would have went to any office in person, but online, why not try. There may have been a phone call involved at some point.

My income was unemployment... The max amount in my state of $362 a week... I think I forgot to tell them that I was paying child support for my youngest daughter which was around 100 a week

I got $13 a month in food stamps lol... If I had the same work/job training requirement as somebody getting $500 a month i'd be pissed. Actually if they told me I had to do either of those I would have declined the $13 a month.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

If these "non-citizens" entered the country without permission or overstayed their time then they are illegal. No matter what kind of leftists word game you try and play. There is a right way and a wrong way to do thing's.

your attitude is hilarious

its a leftist game and you have to explain to adults.

lol

cause what he said

No they don't. "Non-citizens" are not necessarily illegal.

is totally true

weird this has to be explained to an adult with their right wing games

yes if they came without permission they are illegal
yes if they overstayed past their time they are illegal

thats true

but so is

"Non-citizens" are not necessarily illegal.

so i ask

are there any non citizens here that are not illegal?

think hard about it

edit on 20-12-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: carewemust

Look at carewemust spreading fake news again. A person requires a valid SSN to take advantage of most welfare programs in the US, including food stamps. Last time I checked you can't get a valid SSN as an undocumented (big hint right there) immigrant.

Yup, because there's no such thing as buying and selling stolen identities..........
edit on 20-12-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The term "Able-bodied" is a bit sketchy, IMO. If you know anything about the so-called "entitlement programs" in this country, you might know that the restrictions for who qualifies are already pretty tight.

Maybe it would be more beneficial to reevaluate the actual definition of "disability". IMO, someone who is so averse to working for a living that they're willing to actually try to scratch out a (very) meager existence on food stamps is effectively disabled whether they meet the legal definition of the word or not.

EDIT - Also, pregnant women SHOULD NOT be getting food stamps because they actually chose to make their situation worse. People who were born with issues (whether physical or mental) didn't choose to exist.
edit on 20-12-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

You're kidding me, right? Anybody here on a work visa is a non-citizen, and 100% legal. Anybody here on asylum is a non-citizen, and legal. Need I go on explaining this to an adult?

Example: My step dad is a Canadian immigrant here on a work visa. He's been here for 16 years (just renewed his visa), works, pays taxes, and is totally legal. He's a non-citizen.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Double
edit on 20-12-2018 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Oops
edit on 20-12-2018 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

SNAP is part of the Farm Bill. The Farm Bill is a "bill", legislated and approved by Congress, not by the Oval Office or the Executive Branch.

The Farm Bill is administered by the Dept. of Agriculture, an executive department of the US Government. Therefore the Executive Office is responsible for running it and making the rules. States, if they find those rules cumbersome or too costly, ask for waivers to make their own rules in administering the funds. Trump is the Chief Executive so he has a say in which waivers are granted and which are denied. How hard is that to understand?

Kentucky was the first state to ask for a waiver with these provisions. We've got entirely too many people sitting on the couch who should be finding work. I have five extended family members who are crying big tears because they're going to have to actually do something other than watch tv and go to WalMart.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I really hope it goes through. I’ve known people who would not get a job (even though they had to medical reason for not working) tell me that they didn’t want a job due to the fact that they would lose their “programs” meaning snap benefits as well as section eight. I then asked if they were okay with letting people like myself work and pay taxes in order for them to be able to have a care free existence. They answered with deafening silence.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: carewemust

63% of those here illegally get Food Stamps, and other Taxpayer-funded benefits. That's insane!

Is that actually true?

How would you be able to apply for food stamps without at least having a valid ID?

Yes but you cannot spend to money at the grocery store without an ID.

Or so we have been informed by our leader.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Therefore the Executive Office is responsible for running it and making the rules.

The rules are in the bill. The bill is ratified by Congress and signed into law by the President. The executive Office doesn't write laws, they enforce them. Trump's new rules aren't in the Farm Bill, that he just signed.

While the House GOP-backed plan for stricter work rules was left out of the final law, hours ahead of the bill signing, the Trump administration announced it would renew those efforts.

www.npr.org...

Because Trump's proposed new regulations contradict the Farm Bill and arbitrarily take wiaver rights from states, legal challenges are already in the works, should it be enacted. This is just another Trump attack on the poor and disenfranchised, that will wind up getting blocked by federal judges and costing tax payers millions in legal expenses, in stead of feeding the hungry.

edit on 21-12-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join