It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Directs USDA To Expand Work Requirements For Food Stamps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Good news! IMO

The Trump administration is going around the lengthy farm bill negotiations to push for a rule that would force more people who enroll in food stamps to comply with work requirements, despite the fact that Republicans were unsuccessful in pushing the same measure through Congress.

Does this seem unreasonable?

Maybe you should read this,

"The bottom line is this," Perdue said. "In 2016 there were 3.8 million individual [able-bodies adults without dependents] on the SNAP rolls with 2.8 million or almost 75 percent of them not working. This is unacceptable to most Americans and belies common sense particularly when employment opportunities are plentiful as they currently are."

before you melt down,

Lipps emphasized the rule would not apply to the elderly, people with disabilities or pregnant women but is intended to encourage people capable of working to find jobs.

The Horror,

The move is the latest effort to reform programs intended to push low-income or unemployed Americans to become more "self-sufficient" through work requirements or changes to welfare programs like nutrition assistance, public housing or Medicaid.

I'm sure we all know some one who abuses this system
edit on 20-12-2018 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Good for him! Why are we giving stamps to the people who can work?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Saul Alinsky

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I like this a lot. One of my biggest issues with the argument of they need to have a job in order to receive food stamps something puts them in a worse financial situation. One example: Someone has two kids. Right now they stay at home and collect food stamps. If they are forced to get a minimum wage job, they may have to find child care. The child care costs more than they make. Their other option is leaving kids along to get into who knows what. Their food stamps stay the same.

This forces people to put in effort in order to receive food stamps. You don't necessarily have to get a job, but you have to train. This is a deterrent for people to abuse the system because it takes effort. It also provides training for someone who actually uses the system properly become better suited for the work force.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

He is certainly one reason. There are those who need help but many many more just want to find a nipple.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

63% of those here illegally get Food Stamps, and other Taxpayer-funded benefits. That's insane!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

It sounds like they are focusing on single people getting assistance and have no dependents to worry about not family's with dependants. Sound like good idea to me.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

63% of those here illegally get Food Stamps, and other Taxpayer-funded benefits. That's insane!

Is that actually true?

How would you be able to apply for food stamps without at least having a valid ID?

edit on 20-12-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Listen just do what Massachusetts was supposed to do..have the registry run the cars that people own and see how much they are worth and what it's costing them..they will quickly learn that many of the expensive luxury cars are leases by some who are in fact collecting food stamps or are getting some financial support from the government. This could be a good starting point to weed out the abusers.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

So, the Trump Administration bypassed Congress, because Trump couldn't get his agenda passed legislativiley. Then he bypasses "states' rights" to determine who is eligible for waivers, based on work availability in affected areas, etc., and then also force states to establish work training programs to occupy people for 20 hours a week, even in areas where there are no jobs.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

No they don't. "Non-citizens" are not necessarily illegal.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I noticed that this will apply to families with children.

Make Kids Dead Again!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I used to be a case worker for SNAP. The current work requirements are practically zero. Say you spent 2 hours looking for a job last month, with no actual proof of anything? Sure!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Look at carewemust spreading fake news again. A person requires a valid SSN to take advantage of most welfare programs in the US, including food stamps. Last time I checked you can't get a valid SSN as an undocumented (big hint right there) immigrant.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Link to Massachusetts SNAP benefits

"During 2013, the Massachusetts Legislature made changes to the state’s EBT
policies affecting both cash assistance and SNAP, including a law requiring
DTA to place the photo of the head of household on the front of the EBT card.
Advocates succeeded in getting language in the final law that exempts almost
75% of SNAP and cash recipients from this punitive rule. Further, federal SNAP
law prohibits grocers and retailers from discriminating against SNAP recipients
by inspecting SNAP EBT cards or prohibiting SNAP recipients from using selfcheck-out lines like other customers. Federal SNAP law also requires states to
ensure that all members of a SNAP household can use the EBT card to access
benefits, whether or not their name or photo is on the card."

Technically you don't have to interview in person for this assisted program...all done by phone.
"YES. DTA is required to interview all applicants for SNAP benefits. 106
C.M.R. § 361.500 . The interview must be done by a DTA SNAP worker,
and not a community organization. The interview is usually done by phone.
If you apply in person at a local DTA office, you can have your interview
in person if you choose to wait to meet with a DTA worker."

Identity of the head of household: Documents with your name on it, 106 C.M.R.§ 361.610(G), such as:

Driver’s license or Mass. ID
Birth certificate or hospital birth record
Other government or court documents
School or work records
Any other document that shows who you are

So they worked it out somehow that a picture ID is not needed if you have other forms of documents with your signature..

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

No, it's not actually true. The figure comes from a report from the anti-immigration CIS, estimating that 63% of households headed by an illegal immigrant receive some sort of "welfare," which includes things like subsidized school lunches. Basically, they count any type of benefit received by anyone in the household — in particular children of illegal immigrant parents, who are US citizens and are therefore eligible for benefits — as well as any adult partner/spouse.

Re this topic of this thread, the same study also found that "Of non-citizen households receiving welfare, 93 percent have at least one worker, as do 76 percent of native households receiving welfare."

There was a thread about it here.

As for the specific claim made by CWM, that's even less accurate as the CIS "report" wasn't alleging illegality.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's amazing how many people buy in to the claim that poor people are the biggest problem. Meanwhile those same people just cheered on the defense spending bill that pretty much amounts to $700 billion in corporate welfare for the MIC.

On the one hand you have needy people using government funds just so they can afford a loaf of bread. On the other you have a CEO pulling down millions a year using government funds to buy his mistress a new set of tits. Which one needs more regulations placed on them for how they spend their welfare?

Gee I don't know. That's such a hard choice.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: carewemust

Look at carewemust spreading fake news again. A person requires a valid SSN to take advantage of most welfare programs in the US, including food stamps. Last time I checked you can't get a valid SSN as an undocumented (big hint right there) immigrant.

You are correct that undocumented aliens can't get a valid SSN but they can certainly steal an identity and claim whatever they wish. Apparently this is a big business for some illegals and makes life a nightmare for those whose identities are stolen.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Seriously? Hyperbole much?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
where I live I could find a new job everyday, or at the very least every week. If you can work right now there is no reason you can't.

Are they good jobs? No. Most of them aren't but some of them are for people who are mediocre or don't really have any ambition. That's fine I have no problem with that but you don't need subsidization.

Also, don't work for the local Amazon warehouse they treat their employee's like slaves and you shouldn't have to choose between slavery and government assistance. If that's your only choice I won't blame you for abusing the system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join