It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Josh Gordon suspension- a legitimate reason to boycott the NFL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Josh Gordon came out with a statement today that he is dropping out of football for mental reasons. Sources point to a pending NFL drug suspension as the reason. While details are sketchy it is being surmised that he smoked pot again. So basically the NFl is likely ending his career over pot smoking, which by the way is now legal in Massachusetts where the Patriots play.. It is my view that mental illness is caused by poor chemical makeup in the brain. Most treatments use MAO inhibition as the method to help balance these chemicals. Nothing works better for MAO inhibition than marijuana. Marijuana also has less side effects than the current MAO inhibitors. So basically the NFL is coming down on Gordon for using the treatment that works best for him.

On another front, the NFL has a huge problem with concussions and CTE. It has been proven scientifically that marijuana helps protect the brain from the effects of concussions. Based on this the NFL should probably require all players to use marijuana or at the very least have it administered immediately after a concussion is suffered.

So basically in its actions, the NFL is doing a disservice to the players by refusing to allow what is beneficial to most players, at least at some point in their career. As for Gordon they are denying him the ability to treat himself with what works best and furthering his battles with depression.

It is still early in this story but if the facts come out that Gordon is suspended for using pot, then i will never watch another NFL game, play in another fantasy league, etc. In fact i will go a bit further. As long as the NFL keeps suspending players for using pot, I will not watch another NFL game. i hope others feel as strongly on this matter as I do.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Stopped watching NFL about 15 years ago I think. It just sucks for all kinds of reasons.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
While I agree that MJ has a lot of benefits that would help players that ram their heads into things all day.
I have to say that it is about image.
The NFL doesn't want young kids looking up to weed users. They don't want it associated with the NFL at all.

If I were you, I wouldn't let it take the joy of NFL football away from you.
Its just how they are. Chick your pregnant girlfriend and become a superstar.
Get caught multiple times smoking a flower that is produced naturally, legal where you live, that helps brain swelling and mood regulation...
GONE

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Are you gonna stop shopping everywhere they drug test their employees?

Are you gonna stop buying Apple products? How about xbox or PS4 games?

Gonna stop driving your car , auto dealers will fire you for weed too.
edit on 20-12-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I usually try to catch the super bowl, missed it last couple of years though. Dont watch any other games.
So, sure i'll boycott 'em.
edit on 12 20 2018 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
While I agree that MJ has a lot of benefits that would help players that ram their heads into things all day.
I have to say that it is about image.
The NFL doesn't want young kids looking up to weed users. They don't want it associated with the NFL at all.

If I were you, I wouldn't let it take the joy of NFL football away from you.
Its just how they are. Chick your pregnant girlfriend and become a superstar.
Get caught multiple times smoking a flower that is produced naturally, legal where you live, that helps brain swelling and mood regulation...
GONE

Its a false image though. Getting hammered on alcohol is fine (look at the sponsors) but smoking something that can actually be good for is bad, bad, bad. I am sick and tired of the hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
NFL is a horrible organization on many grounds.

Medical marijuana is beneficial on many grounds.

However, I will never condone an organization require marijuana use. Also, things are just starting to change. MANY employers drug test still . The NFL is no different. Boycott whoever you want, but people who boycott should do so across the board.

I will continue to watch the games because I enjoy them.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The NFL is a private company who drug tests their employees.
They are testing for performance enhancing drugs as well as narcotics.
They are within their rights to do so.
Lots of players have to end their careers for medical reasons so depression shouldn't be any different.
And as far as him playing in Massachusetts, what happens when he fails a test in a stadium that is in a not so pot friendly state?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The players know the risk and they agreed to the rules.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Are you gonna stop shopping everywhere they drug test their employees?

Are you gonna stop buying Apple products? How about xbox or PS4 games?

Gonna stop driving your car , auto dealers will fire you for weed too.

These are very valid points lol

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Now he's free to fight Ming the Merciless.

Maybe I have the wrong Gordon.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

What makes football players special?

Normal people living in legal states and states where medical is legal can still be tested and fired?

How about care about them

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

What makes football players special?

Normal people living in legal states and states where medical is legal can still be tested and fired?

How about care about them

So now football players aint "normal"

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

You know what I mean.

So why should we give a # about the player and say for example me?

I'm in a medical state. Suffer chronic pain. Grass helps.
I am subject to testing and can be fired.

Like millions of working class people.

Don't care about players

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is yet another reason that marijuana should be legal, period. Federal level. Medicinal and recreational. How every other commercial during an NFL game can be for Coors, Bud, or Miller (drugs that can be absolutely horrible for your health), but a MEDICINE that is helping a person overcome an illness is illegal, is beyond me.

I have personal experience with marijuana helping me recover from a debilitating TBI, my recovery would have taken months longer, heck, I may not have recovered fully, if I didn't have the opportunity to use marijuana (I live somewhere where it's legal).

I understand that it's a private company and the NFL can do whatever they want (although I seem to remember a lot of people here on ATS complaining about Twitter and Youtube doing exactly the same thing not too long ago), but my main point is that this whole Reefer Madness/marijuana will poison the minds of the youth/children shouldn't look up to people who use marijuana because they're all burnouts mindset is absolutely ridiculous. Marijuana is infinitely safer, and infinitely more useful, than alcohol.

I'm not saying alcohol should be illegal. I think pretty much all drugs should be legal, or at least decriminalized. But the fact that marijuana (and psilocybin for that matter) is still schedule 1 and not regularly, legally used to help mental illness/injury/etc is a travesty.

Given the option of marijuana or alcohol, I would SO much rather my children use marijuana. Comparing the pro-con list of both of those substances is so one-sided it isn't even funny.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: notsure1

You know what I mean.

So why should we give a # about the player and say for example me?

I'm in a medical state. Suffer chronic pain. Grass helps.
I am subject to testing and can be fired.

Like millions of working class people.

Don't care about players

I was just trying to be funny.

I agree with you

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The nfl has been suspending people for a long long time. Why is Gordon the tipping point for you?
Is it a cumulative thing including kapernick, and all the other "controversies" or something specific about Gordon? Or is it just support for the plant in question? No offense intended just curious.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Gordon is an addict. A highly-functioning addict.

The NFL’s biggest advertisers are beer companies. Has been for 30 years. It’s not about doing the right thing, it’s about protecting The Shield vis-a-vie turning a blind eye to the public health costs of alcoholism. After all, “protecting The Shield” is parlance for dollar, dollar bills...C.R.E.A.M...

Just google “Leonard Little DUI killed woman Rams” and his punishment versus that of Ricky Williams for smoking pot in the same year. Hell, I’ll do you a favor: Williams was kicked out of the league and Little was on a roster while a husband and daughter mourned a loss.

Although there may be light at the end of the tunnel, recently saw a byline about a major beer producer getting into marijuana drinks. Go figure.

Roger Goodell is your Turd Emporer.

Chargers are your SB LIII champs.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It sucks, but he did run afoul of the NFL rules. Honestly, I doubt pot is going to impede player performance on any level where testing for it even makes a difference, but until the rules change, he has to follow them just like everyone else.

I could care less about the NFL. The garbage behavior of the athletes in professional sports is pretty offputting all the way around, so I'll join you in not watching football, heh.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
At this point one would think the NFL management would have heard that cannabis is a neural protectant. Why they don't want to protect their investment is interesting.

Probably something with it being illegal on a federal level and using taxes to build stadiums. They run the risk of loosing governmental support if they promote this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join