It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The nature of political propaganda and ideological battles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Political news is not news. It's entertainment. The best way to get ratings is the say stuff that makes people really outraged. The angrier people get the higher the ratings and the more money an outlet will make.

Another commonly used tactic is to take any criticism and immediately flip it back on the person making the criticism. But even further, if you really want to manipulate people this is what you do. Say you want to control speech or really want to clamp down on other people's free speech. The way to do this is to criticize the other person or party as "not being for free speech." This way as you clamp down no one will ever question you as being the one doing the clamping.

Of, if you want to just stick to ratings. Accuse someone else as being for a position they obviously would deny. But it doesn't matter! We only hear what they want to hear. For example, there are many Democrats who are anti-abortion. Doesn't matter. Saying Democrats are baby killers gets better ratings. It really gets the vote out.

After so many years of wedge issues we all have nothing left in common.

I think politics are now a complete waste of time. It's just a type of entertainment I find to be so predicable and having nothing to do with my real life I just lose interest in it. "Shocking Syria Withdrawal Plan is Pure Trump", I'm not shocked! I just don't care! The Middle East means nothing to me.

If the news had a story about how I could get $1.50 per gallon gas in New Jersey then I would watch it. That would have meaning in my life.

edit on 20-12-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Any and all political news has an angle and it’s sad that most even those on ATS can’t grasp. I see people and users just blindly following both spectrums without question. Though I do respect the patriots here most and like sheep. Sad to say but the truth hurts.
The best way to overcome such a thing to realize that both the right and left have certain agendas that will never benefit the common folk. Sad but true.
A very good rule of thumb is that anything sounds too good to be true it’s freaking not. As is don’t watch or read any news specifically from one side. Read all that you can from both then form your own conclusion that is in the middle. That is going to be closer to the truth.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

We do, although it's rarely a topic of discussion.

Class warfare. Two sets of laws and the economics that only benefit one class.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Mockingbird media has all the right brain and left brain people arguing non sequitur s

Meaningless culture wars over propaganda. All useful idiots debating nothing as they implement the biometric technocratic control grid in every country limiting all of our movement unless we fully comply with the system

All them fools.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I disagree. I think it's important for all Americans to find out what our politicians are doing...aren't they suppose to represent us? The American people? To say all political news is just "entertainment" is a cop out IMO. Yeah, I'm sick of the name calling and political discord in our country, but that doesn't mean politics doesn't matter. Doesn't our votes matter? Politics affects everyone in this country. So why is it a waste of time for Americans to gather information on their government's actions? Don’t we want to be informed about the state of our country? You know what is a waste of time? Giving a f##k about the political views of entertainment celebrities and athletes.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Please. The left/right paradigm has everything in common. Two sides of the same coin. Those who can't see it are those who are blinded to all but their own perspective... don't look around! Don't look behind you!!!

No one is manipulated without their consent and cooperation. Every single newscast is designed to piss off one side and give false bravado to the other side. Divide and conquer. Every single newscast is designed to give ammunition to one side or the other to demand ever more tyranny from our "authorities." Divide and conquer. Every single newscast is designed to prop up one side and demean the other. Divide and conquer.

And Q took it to a whole new level... ugh.

None of us have any real idea what's going on in DC... except that every damn one is rotten to the core. Including Trump. No one is going to save us except ourselves. And we can't do that unless and until everyone steps out of their echo chamber and demands the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Any and all political news has an angle and it’s sad that most even those on ATS can’t grasp. I see people and users just blindly following both spectrums without question. Though I do respect the patriots here most and like sheep. Sad to say but the truth hurts.
The best way to overcome such a thing to realize that both the right and left have certain agendas that will never benefit the common folk. Sad but true.
A very good rule of thumb is that anything sounds too good to be true it’s freaking not. As is don’t watch or read any news specifically from one side. Read all that you can from both then form your own conclusion that is in the middle. That is going to be closer to the truth.

When all you get is lies from all sides in varying degrees, it makes it a little hard to divine the truth from the BS. If it's political, take the opposite of what is said and you'll generally always be closer to the truth. Lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

After so many years of wedge issues we all have nothing left in common. I think politics are now a complete waste of time. It's just a type of entertainment I find to be so predicable and having nothing to do with my real life I just lose interest in it. "Shocking Syria Withdrawal Plan is Pure Trump", I'm not shocked! I just don't care! The Middle East means nothing to me.

In this, you are precisely correct. US Politics is meaningful only for 2 reasons. One is economic fall out and two is social fall out. People who's primary interest in life is economics and making money care nothing about ideologically driven politics; they only care about free markets and making money.

Social Justice warriors only care about their issues and seeing that their interests are advanced by way of Government largesse such that they can profit from the programs they advocate for. The social fall out is that the SJW community seeks to "take" from the haves and dole it out 10 cents on the dollar to the have nots so the have nots will keep supping at the trough of handouts and supporting the SJW's. Aagain really, its just an economic model.

Used to be the case that US politics was ideological on issues around the "culture" conflicts. But the culture conflicts were settled in the 1990's with the Clinton administration so the politics of that is all but done.

Put another way........just as is the case in California, now a One Party State, politics is becoming a mute point in the US and that will particularly be the case after the Dems replace Trump with one of their own in 2020.

In a very real sense...............that will be a huge relief! Although, it will near entirely upend the CNN/MSNBC business model. They won't have anything/anyone to daily rant and rail against.

join