It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An update on funding for the Wall

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Crowd funding the wall is a massive scam. It's just people looking to take the gullible and make some money.

There's already a system in place to actually crowd fund the wall, it's called taxes. But, taxes have oversight as to how it's spent.

Furthermore, if you think their statistic of $2000/minute from the most successful group is in any way close to what is required, you cannot do math (that btw, is nearly 4x your cited rate of $1.5 million in 2 days). The most likely estimate after cost overruns is $34 billion.

So, lets increase that to $5000/minute, 12x the rate you're claiming. In order to raise the money that would be 6,800,000 minutes. That's 113,333 hours, or 4,722 days, or just under 13 years.

If you donate to this, well... a fool and their money is soon parted.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Good for it. As someone who has contributed to a lot of crowdfunded projects I can tell you 100% this doesn't have the momentum to reach $1 billion. The first 48 hours (some will say 24) are the most important for any campaign and where you'll see most of your money coming in. Last time I checked this is nowhere near even halfway to their goal.

That is not true. More came in on the 3rd day for this fundraiser than the first two days combined. What makes a fundraiser successful is about the number of people that know about. The longer it goes on, the more people hear about it.

In comparison the most successful Kickstarter of all time (Pebble) raised $1 million in 49 minutes. After the first 48 hours it was at $10.3 million. This would end up being almost exactly half of what the project would raise over the length of the entire campaign.

The problem with your comparison is that you are comparing an investment to a donation. They are not the same in this case.

This wall campaign has now been active for three days and is only at $5.3 million. With 87,000 backers the average donation is $60. If the campaign somehow managed to stay at this current pace it would take 566 days (most crowdfunding campaigns only last 30 days at most) and 16 million people to reach its goal.

$8,782,968 of $1.0B goal

Raised by 144,446 people in 3 days

And it is still on its still on it's 3rd day. It is amount of money coming in is growing dramatically with each passing day.

For example this was day 2

Right now, $1,562,552 of $1.0B goal

Raised by 26,415 people in 2 days

It actually has exponential growth, at least to a certain point, and I don't know what that point is.

It's cute that you and others think this has a chance in Hell to succeed but don't kid yourself.

That is exactly what people said about Trump being elected President.

There's a better chance that Congress will pass a balanced budget that includes funding for the wall than this actually reaching its goal.

That would be great also. Win/Win.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
So you believe Obama got 150 billion for Iran after getting congressional approval? I don’t think so.

That was money in Iranian bank accounts that the US had frozen. It was not funded through government spending, it was simply authorizing money that already belonged to Iran to be transferred back to them.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Which was frozen by Congress

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Crowd funding the wall is a massive scam. It's just people looking to take the gullible and make some money.

It could be a scam. But I don't think this one is because of the person that started it.

There's already a system in place to actually crowd fund the wall, it's called taxes. But, taxes have oversight as to how it's spent.

This is not taxes. It is donations. Completely different and legal to do, especially in the name of National Securtity.

Furthermore, if you think their statistic of $2000/minute from the most successful group is in any way close to what is required, you cannot do math (that btw, is nearly 4x your cited rate of $1.5 million in 2 days). The most likely estimate after cost overruns is $34 billion.

I would guess maybe 50 billion. Do it right if your going to do it.

So, lets increase that to $5000/minute, 12x the rate you're claiming. In order to raise the money that would be 6,800,000 minutes. That's 113,333 hours, or 4,722 days, or just under 13 years.

That will keep a lot of American's working for 13 years then. Jobs. (btw if growth of donations keeps trending, that puts the screws to your arithmatic.

If you donate to this, well... a fool and their money is soon parted.

Weill I have been called worse. I will just consider it the daily donation of morality from my moral superiors.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

That is true. If Obama had the power to override congress to give 150 billion dollars back to a Nation that considers us their enemies, then Trump has the power to use 1 billion donated dollars for National Security.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Your problem is all those deterrents are designed by people, thus can and will be circumvented by people. Its what we do you see, that being adapt and overcome. 

I wish people would spend the time and actually research what a large part of the U.S./Mexico border consists of. There are large spans of nothing but barbed wire fence, you know, like cattle fencing. Some of it is only a single strand of barbed wire.

What kind of deterrent is that?

All they have to do is step right over the border. At least with a wall someone would actually have to try to illegally enter our country.

Also no I did not vote for Trump or Hillary, let's just get that out of the way. This is just common sense to me that a nation with borders should actually have a border barrier that isn't as simple as a wire strung to old logs fencing.

The signs and wire fence are doing a great job. (sarc)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

Impressive!

Have leftist groups began fundraisers to provide ladders for illegals to climb the wall yet?

lol. Yes. But they have low numbers. I think Trump would call them low iq people.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

The signs and wire fence are beside the point, those people will still come.

And the fact is Man has been circumventing tall walls, defended, or otherwise since time immemorial, and will continue to do so.

It's like a band-aid for a gunshot wound to the head.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

I agree. People are thinking the wall is going to be like walls built thousands of years ago. I guess people don't read Wall Tech weekly.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I think Trumps IQ is sub 100 at best, hence the nonsensical wall notions to be honest.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The signs and wire fence are beside the point, those people will still come.

Not if there is a wall.

And the fact is Man has been circumventing tall walls, defended, or otherwise since time immemorial, and will continue to do so.

I wonder how the children they bring with them will circumvent a modern built Technalogical Wall.

It's like a band-aid for a gunshot wound to the head.

That is not the right description. It is actually more like fixing the biggest hole it the boat first, so you don't sink and drown.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I think Trumps IQ is sub 100 at best, hence the nonsensical wall notions to be honest.

Lol. I kind of agree. You don't have to be smart to beat the Democrats in Presidential election. You just have to be smarter than them.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

"Not if there is a wall."

Over, under or around, take your pick.

"I wonder how the children they bring with them will circumvent a modern built Technalogical Wall."

Have you seen kids and even pregnant woman climb stuff when they are determined? People will find a way, they always do.

"That is not the right description. It is actually more like fixing the biggest hole it the boat first, so you don't sink and drown."

The smart person would never set to sea with a hole in the boat in the first place, nevermind multiple holes.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Suppose so.

Its smart solutions where your border problems are concerned that's required.

The wall won't work.

Need to address the real reasons people wish to come to America i suppose.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

I applaud anyone who feels strongly enough about something that they want to put their own skin in the game. However, I do not believe that gifts to the US government can be earmarked. Meaning that the US governement can do whatever they want with that money and will most likely not put it toward a border wall.

LINK

I agree. It is nice to see someone do something about a situation like this.

It has happened before in 2012. A billionaire donate 7.3 million to help repair the Washington monument. That is the precident. Even with that set aside, Trump has the power to put this funding toward the wall, especially if it considered for National Security.

Also the guy who started the fundraiser said the following.
We are working with a law firm on a legal document that will bind the government to using the funds for the border wall itself, nothing else.

We will hold all funds and not release a single penny until we have all legal aspects covered to ensure our money goes only to the wall.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"Not if there is a wall."

Over, under or around, take your pick.

"I wonder how the children they bring with them will circumvent a modern built Technalogical Wall."

Have you seen kids and even pregnant woman climb stuff when they are determined? People will find a way, they always do.

"That is not the right description. It is actually more like fixing the biggest hole it the boat first, so you don't sink and drown."

The smart person would never set to sea with a hole in the boat in the first place, nevermind multiple holes.

Either way. It definitely seems like we will be able to find out one day.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

That is true. If Obama had the power to override congress to give 150 billion dollars back to a Nation that considers us their enemies, then Trump has the power to use 1 billion donated dollars for National Security.

And, remember that 1.7 billion were in CASH. OMG!

Just in

House approves spending bill with $5.7B for border wall

Link
edit on 20-12-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The wall won't work. 

Will it make it more difficult to cross?

Will it stop all illegals? No it will not stop all of them, but it will stop or deter some.

How many people are crossing the border illegally?
There’s no official measure of how many people succeed in illegally crossing the border, but authorities use the number of apprehensions to gauge changes in illegal immigration. Apprehensions on the Southwest border peaked in 2000 at 1.64 million and have generally declined since, totaling 303,916 in 2017.

huge number of illegals

If it only stops 10% of illegals that is still stopping 30,000 plus a year.

The numbers are staggering.

There are over 12,000,000 illegals here in the states. That is more than some countries total populace.

The wall won't work. 

It is better than nothing.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

The wall won't work.

I disagree. A full modern Border Wall can be designed to keep out at least 90% of the traffic of people approaching on foot, which is the number one way that illegal immigrants enter this Nation. We beef up our patrols and get our own country straightened out first.

Need to address the real reasons people wish to come to America i suppose.

They come for different reasons. Once the wall is built and we get a handle of how to handle legal immigration only then can we ask the questions. With the open border problem as it stands right now it we have to plug the biggest whole or the ship sinks.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join