It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrant worker wage remittance program - paying nations for their lost workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Over the last few years I've heard a lot of people make statements that the reason many of the under-developed countries remain the way they are is due to a drain of their more capable citizens, both in a "brain drain" and even physical labor drain. I know some people will dismiss this out of hand but if you look back to the cold war, brain drain was a major factor in weakening the Soviet Union and then Russia after the fall of Communism as people left for the more prosperous and wealthy west.

When I look at countries, especially in Africa and other "3rd world" countries, I can understand just how devastating it would be to have a large portion of the top 10% of the minds of your country leave to work in another country, often to live permanently (and contributing relatively little to their home countries). This puts those countries at a marked disadvantage and the receiving country (which doesn't need the advantage) at a much greater proportional/relative advantage - thus deepening the divide between the wealth of the countries. This is especially detrimental when many immigrants choose one country as the destination as that country grows in wealth, power and influence in a huge proportion to the other smaller countries which contributes the minds.

What I am suggesting is some kind of monetary remittance paid to the country of origin of the immigrant when the immigrant finds gainful employment within their new country. I would think this payment would be made by the employer into an account that is transferred to the immigrants country. There would need to be some things taken into consideration such as if the immigrant was already educated when they immigrated or if they received their education in the new country. As far as how much the payment would be, IDK what a good number would be, probably a % of salary/benefits and possibly only for X number of years.

I know there will be people who say this will hurt employers, but currently it is hurting native born citizens because of the use of things like H1-B visas and other visas for skilled/semi-skilled and even general labor (seasonal) employment - where immigrants will work for minimum wage or even less (under the table). Be introducing a remittance tax such as this it puts native workers on a more even footing when it comes to wages while at the same time it helps the countries of immigrants off-set the loss of their skilled and even unskilled workers.

Another alternative to sending funding back home could be to use that money for educational scholarships for people from those countries (possibly able to be used globally) where the developing country picks the candidates they think will most benefit from further schooling and they then receive whatever amount the country decides (say 100%, 80%, 50% schooling costs - or whatever). This way the money can't be stolen or squandered in the developing country on another Mercedes or Bentley for the politicians. I'm sure there are ways to ensure the money is spent on bettering the country and if we are collecting the "tax" then we should have some say as to how it is going to be spent - as there is no historical precedence for this and they can't say they are owed it without strings.

I'm really not interested in people saying "we don't need new taxes" or anything else about not wanting new taxes. I understand this but this thread is for discussion on how something like this could work, pro's & cons, how to implement such a tax and how it could be paid to the developing countries - along with any other relevant discussion.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Nope. If we are forced to take the lowlife percentage of their population than we should get the benefits of the best too.

1 doctor for every 100 welfare abusing, illiterate, drug dealing under the table no tax paying immigrants is more than fair. Like hell I'm going to advocate for taking the dregs and then paying those countries for 1 useful immigrant per 100 (or 10 000).

No way, no sir.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
"What I am suggesting is some kind of monetary remittance paid to the country of origin of the immigrant when the immigrant finds gainful employment within their new country. I would think this payment would be made by the employer into an account that is transferred to the immigrants country. "

What you're suggesting is an immigrant tax.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You're suggesting a dowry for desirable immigrants?

Maria Ocasio Cortez, is that you?

Do you also think babysitters should pay the parents?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Uh, no. They get enough money as it is.
Sending more will not improve the crap holes they already have.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
not sure how all countries do it. but if a US citizen is making money outside of the US, they are still expected to pay US income tax. this has caused problems for many Canadians since even a Canadian born citizen who has never even been to the US, nor has ever even tried to get American or dual citizenship. nor were their births registered as Americans born out of the country. may find their bank accounts frozen and the IRS wanting their tax money from them. and then have to try to fight it, or pay up. and all it takes is to have one parent who is an American citizen, and in some cases even a grandparent. because they are still considered by the US government as US citizens.

the same holds true for Canadian citizens working outside of Canada, they are also still expected to pay income tax to Canada on money they earn. and i suspect the same is true for most countries. that unless you renounce your citizenship, you have to pay income tax to your home country (the one you are a citizen from). and some countries do even charge taxes on money that is received by family in their home country that is sent by those who are working in another country.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   
It takes a lot more negative energy to have a country be a 3rd world country by having the great thinkers leave.

There are many clear ways why those countires are the way they are.

And what's scary is since the u.s. has been importing so many 3rd world refugees, they are actually bringing that 3rd world mentaity with them.

And it will trickle into politics and the economy ultimately damaging the country.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I’ll tell you what, let those countries keep the imagrants and well keep our money.

Deal?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

No. Why does every idea give money from our nation to others?

No. It's not your wealth!

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Here’s an idea. Maybe the governments of those “3rd world countries” should make an effort to actually develop their countries so their citizens would desire to stay? I mean it’s not like the technology used in the US and the “West” couldn’t be used in other countries...if only their religions that disparage the “West” would allow it.

No, it’s much easier to keep living as if it’s the 12th century, and then demand that those countries that chose to develop somehow owe the 12th century dwellers some type of restitution.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Over the last few years I've heard a lot of people make statements that the reason many of the under-developed countries remain the way they are is due to a drain of their more capable citizens, both in a "brain drain" and even physical labor drain. I know some people will dismiss this out of hand but if you look back to the cold war, brain drain was a major factor in weakening the Soviet Union and then Russia after the fall of Communism as people left for the more prosperous and wealthy west.

I know several Africans who have immigrated here and become part of the community. It's a great loss to their country (these are physicians and PhDs) but at the same time, there's little or no opportunity for them at home.

What I am suggesting is some kind of monetary remittance paid to the country of origin of the immigrant when the immigrant finds gainful employment within their new country.

Actually, this is done by the immigrants themselves (and has been done ever since the founding of America.) When people better themselves then they often turn and extend helping hands (financially and otherwise) to family and friends back home. One immigrant that I met from the Dominican Republic sent a generator (which cost $200) back to her family when the island was hit by a hurricane.

It's an interesting thought experiment, though... and consider it from the point of America: what if other countries started luring away our top "brains" -- NASA engineers, engineers working on military weapons, pharmaceutical researchers, etc, etc. How could we retrieve and preserve our technical edge if people were leaving like that?

It'd make for a great foundation scenario for a science fiction story (hmmmmmmm....)!
edit on 4-1-2019 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

top topics

join