It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to save Brexit - Australian (former PM) Tony Abbot. The time has come..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

As a long-time member whose political beliefs have vacillated & gradually shifted from centre-left to centre-right since becoming a member here (back in something like 2008 originally), I have viewed the Brexit fiasco with a paradoxical combination of apprehension & excitement, as the story has developed over the past few years. I actually voted to remain, back in 2016 - I believed that our fundamental human rights might be at risk under a Conservative government without the checks & balances provided by the European Convention on Human Rights. I do still have reservations & concerns that under the Tories, our welfare state model & various other aspects of our democracy might be at significant risk. I find myself in the curious position of desiring a centre right 'adventure' (to recover our famed British independence & national strength of character), yet also hoping that at some point soon we have the moderating hand of a Labour government to insure the general wellbeing of the poor & needy, the disabled & disenfranchised, of this great nation.

With that said, I suppose I'm looking for a cross-party solution, which surely isn't a bad idea after the shambles that various 'Brexit ministers', the government in general & the PM Theresa May in part, have created & perpetuated needlessly, in violation of our trust in them as our leaders. And so, I wish to introduce you, in case you haven't seen it already, to an editorial by former Prime Minister of Australia, Mr Tony Abbot which appeared recently in the prestigious 'Spectator' magazine. On reading through it, I found that he had pretty much taken the pulse of our tachycardic nation, and determined the necessary medicine to ease our pain & be a salve to the healing of the people & the divisions we now suffer. Read through carefully, and you'll find that which I referred to as a 'sense of adventure' - which indeed, will be our only remedy from this time forwards. Just like the brutal street fighting martial art of Krav Maga, every moment of defence must also be a moment to strike - every moment of attack must be strong & immediately built upon. Constant movement - always on the offensive, never passive, striking hard & doing the hard thing quickly, until the enemy (in our case, the sense of mediocrity, diminishment & economic panic which will come from a passive response to ANY Brexit scenario) is fully subdued. Constant movement - constant observation & analysis, combined with intuition.

Our attitude to Brexit must be resolute, and we must look to our frankly illustrious history to delve into the character of the great men & women who built & galvanised our nation across centuries of turmoil & hard graft. We can do it - we have been coddled into cotton wool softness, and we must break out of that mindset. Our men must be strong, our women stronger - together, we can overcome all the odds. and all the consequences of our weak & frivolous leaders. Read Mr Abbot's comments & reflect on what it means to be British in the 21st century. Can we rectify the matter? Are we strong enough to defeat mediocrity & fear? Yes we are. Thank you Mr Abbot, hand on heart, for trying to speak sense into the equation - may our leaders take heed, and may our civil servants be bold enough to shape the thoughts & actions of our leaders in the right direction, whatever that may need to be.

Thanks for reading.

Tony Abbot - How to save Brexit

Britain has nothing to fear from no deal

The referendum result was perhaps the biggest-ever vote of confidence in the United Kingdom, its past and its future. But the British establishment doesn’t seem to share that confidence and instead looks desperate to cut a deal, even if that means staying under the rule of Brussels.

...[A] negotiation that you’re not prepared to walk away from is not a negotiation — it’s surrender.

Freed from EU rules, Britain would automatically revert to world trade, using rules agreed by the World Trade Organization. It works pretty well for Australia. So why on earth would it not work just as well for the world’s fifth-largest economy?

edit on DecemberWednesday18012CST02America/Chicago-060052 by FlyInTheOintment because: general edit, changed title

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

So, with all his obvious wisdom... Whats Tony Abbott up to right now?

You know, apart from having his hysterical rants published by some british tabloid magazine.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Were the citizens of the UK actually worse off because of the EU, or were they participants in a larger and assured economy?

Nationalism, that underscores what the Brexit deal is about, has historically turned out bad for the citizenry. The power, stability and rights of a larger base of people, economically, morally and politically, is worthwhile.

Nationalism with all its flag waving 'us and them' mentality is ultimately stupid. Country borders are, and always have been, entirely arbitrary.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

That was a good read.
He has some points, gotta say it.
Back after Cameron quit, Leadsom proposed a unilateral statement about eu citizens being given the right to remain.
Of course, May got the job and wouldn't do the same.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The UK went from being the most powerful nation on Earth, the same force that delivered parliamentary democracy to the entire world, to a nation trying to forget itself.

It's not that the UK has anything to fear from no deal. It's that it can do nothing else but fear. It's a bloody shame.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Not sure Brexit can be saved , the dream is dying.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Were the citizens of the UK actually worse off because of the EU, or were they participants in a larger and assured economy?

Nationalism, that underscores what the Brexit deal is about, has historically turned out bad for the citizenry. The power, stability and rights of a larger base of people, economically, morally and politically, is worthwhile.

Nationalism with all its flag waving 'us and them' mentality is ultimately stupid. Country borders are, and always have been, entirely arbitrary.

No, borders are not arbitrary, and no, nationalism is not stupid. That's something ISIS tried to argue on its way to erecting their international caliphate. Borders are to countries what fences are to neighbors. It's just that simple.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Only Australia doesn't just trade under WTO rules.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
With that said, I suppose I'm looking for a cross-party solution, which surely isn't a bad idea after the shambles that various 'Brexit ministers', the government in general & the PM Theresa May in part, have created & perpetuated needlessly, in violation of our trust in them as our leaders.

The trouble is MP's of all varieties forget they are there to represent

the *people* who voted them in and they are not in government to

full fill their own ambitions.

The people voted to leave, but it would appear that the majority of

MP's of all parties are for remain, and that is probably the reason for

the mess we are currently in ....... A remainer leading Brexit.

And so, I wish to introduce you, in case you haven't seen it already, to an editorial by former Prime Minister of Australia, Mr Tony Abbot which appeared recently in the prestigious 'Spectator' magazine. On reading through it, I found that he had pretty much taken the pulse of our tachycardic nation, and determined the necessary medicine to ease our pain & be a salve to the healing of the people & the divisions we now suffer.

Right on point and very succinctly said, were there more like him in our

government.

Our attitude to Brexit must be resolute, and we must look to our frankly illustrious history to delve into the character of the great men & women who built & galvanised our nation across centuries of turmoil & hard graft. We can do it - we have been coddled into cotton wool softness, and we must break out of that mindset. Our men must be strong, our women stronger - together, we can overcome all the odds.

Not so much 'we' the people who have been coddled, but our leaders who

have been quite happy to sit back and carry out Brussels dictats.

Britain has nothing to fear from no deal

Whole heartedly agree .... *We can and we WILL*

...[A] negotiation that you’re not prepared to walk away from is not a negotiation — it’s surrender.

Not only have we capitulated we also paid the ransom.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
How to circumvent the already decided will of the people.

It's the ultimate test for the globalists, who were more shocked by the outcome than Hillary was when Trump won.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Ok so can we say you are for Communism or not?

You are sure not for free peoples getting to decide their own fate.

I think the world is a better place with Britain free and strong. They have good morals as a society and have indeed brought parliamentary concepts to the more primitive societies. Yes, like the US they have meddled too much. I do think both had the idea of spreading concepts like freedom for women and education opportunities for all.
edit on 19-12-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

I'm a fairly entrenched capitalist but I also think that you can go too far that way, too.

I'd like to think that I'm somewhere in the middle, conservative but compassionate.

People already do decide their own fate, to a certain extent, even under communist regimes. You have to ask yourself if crimes (such as suicide and theft) are a valid and acceptable modes of self expression. Some might say it is dictatorial to prosecute crime. I'd say it is an issue of overall public survivability and responsibility of government for the common good. That isn't communism, that's common sense.

I think the mistake that too many make, is to filter the world between two extremist views. It isn't either/or. The truth is, there is far more middle than there is ends.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Abbot must have a very short memory, before Britain joined the EU, and when Aussie and NZ supplied Britain, the population traded primarily with the UK and wages were high the standard of living was the best in the world. Since leaving the countries have found new markets, and developed a host of value added products, if they went back to supplying Britain and the new markets then they would boom.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

You know, apart from having his hysterical rants published by some british tabloid magazine.

3 points
1. so did you read the article
2. no bloody wonder you got snotted at work
3. learn to give credit when and where it is due

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Nationalism, that underscores what the Brexit deal is about,.....

Not Nationalism, Sovereignty.

We don't want political union with the EU and we want to re-affirm that Parliament is the ultimate authority in the UK and not Brussels.

Its really pretty simple if you bothered to listen to those who voted for Brexit instead of believing the establishment driven Project Fear crap.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto

Number 2.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
just so we're all on the same page, for those of you not in Australia, Abbott is a slimy, lecherous, universally reviled trash-heap of a man - he's basically what you'd get if the caricature of Nixon from Futurama had an immensely ill-advised child with Gollum from Lord of the Rings, and that child was then solely raised on tabloids and real estate pamphlets, while having its brain deprived of oxygen the entire time.
and when i say this, i'm being GENEROUS.
This man could not even keep control of his own political party when in power, and was ousted unceremoniously after serving less than half of what his term was to be.

if i knew how to embed video i'd give you a choice one, like the time he took questions from a grade school class and a girl asked a question he didn't get, and he just gawped for twenty seconds and then asked for a "bloke question" instead, or the time he munched down on a whole, raw, unpeeled onion on national tv

i guess what i'm saying is take what you read from him with a grain of salt.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Abbott is a slimy, lecherous, universally reviled trash-heap of a man

That may be so but what he says is true.

It’s pretty hard for Britain’s friends, here in Australia, to make sense of the mess that’s being made of Brexit.

Let’s get one thing straight: a negotiation that you’re not prepared to walk away from is not a negotiation — it’s surrender.It’s all give and no get.

The EU’s palpable desire to punish Britain for leaving vindicates the Brexit project.Its position, now, is that there’s only one ‘deal’ on offer, whereby the UK retains all of the burdens of EU membership but with no say in setting the rules.

It's hard for many of us here to understand why our leadership have conducted the negotiations like a naughty child looking to keep favour with our angry parents rather than than telling it like it is , the EU does more business with the UK than it does with the US and if they don't give us an acceptable deal we will walk away and forge our own future within World trade , if they want us to suffer they will also suffer.

The EU leadership are as gutless as the UK leadership , all they need is for someone to stand up and tell them how it is and how it's going to be if they wish to avoid harming their own economies , sadly our weak leaders don't have the balls to do that so we find ourselves in the mess we've created for ourselves through our policy of appeasement.

Rule Britannia ... RULE !
edit on 20-12-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

I'm a fairly entrenched capitalist but I also think that you can go too far that way, too.

I'd like to think that I'm somewhere in the middle, conservative but compassionate.

People already do decide their own fate, to a certain extent, even under communist regimes. You have to ask yourself if crimes (such as suicide and theft) are a valid and acceptable modes of self expression. Some might say it is dictatorial to prosecute crime. I'd say it is an issue of overall public survivability and responsibility of government for the common good. That isn't communism, that's common sense.

I think the mistake that too many make, is to filter the world between two extremist views. It isn't either/or. The truth is, there is far more middle than there is ends.

Do you think a one world gov run by the old Oligarchy is going to work?

As a one on the middle I would normally agree but this reply defies that you're thoughts shared are consistently against freedoms. We all have to reflect inwardly that there is a "New World Order" that has announced it's plan and is following thru with it. I for one see it as a chance for the already evil to gain even more tyrannical power.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

1. so did you read the article

Yes.

He's basically criticizing the UK for not having the balls to just flip the bird at the EU, walk away and go independent, without making a deal.

Yet, he himself is are hardcore monarchist... So, he's not exactly practising what he preaches, is he?

2. no bloody wonder you got snotted at work

Yeah well, you know what they say right?

If their not gonna like ya, then they might as well hate ya!

3. learn to give credit when and where it is due

If Abbott ever says something that's worth giving credit... I'll be sure to do just that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join