It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Survival - Food is all around us

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

I can't stress enough that when listing edible plants how important it is to include the proper Latin names as well. Common names vary wildly regionally and person to person and are duplicated among plants many many times.

You are right, and I should have listed that, and now it's too late to edit so I'll say this.

There are survival techniques to test to see if any plant is edible.
Please read up on it, but here is the gist

You put a piece of the plant in the crook of your arm. Wait an hour. If no irritation
put a piece under your tongue 30 min, if no irritation,
chew a small amount if no reaction (burning, numbness etc)
eat a small amount, wait a day, if no reaction Ok to eat.

Each person needs to do this test, some people are more sensitive to certain plants and others have no reaction

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think this is a great post and agree that people have forgotten to trust in nature and live off the land. And you're right OP, there are a ton of edible things out there. The only problem I see with this is if (or when) it gets to a point where we are forced to live "off of the land" - meaning foods gone, grocery stores are gone, or something else happens to force the majority to fen for themselves in the food department... it won't be as easy as going outside to pick a bunch of cat-o-nine tails or harvest chestnuts or oranges, etc. You'll be so busy trying to protect your life and loot while you're out there...

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
a reply to: JAGStorm

If you are in the pine forest whether lost or on purpose you can eat pine needles and inner tree bark. Lots of vitamins.
Not to mention pine nuts from pine cones.
Likewise sap makes good glue

Maybe you shouldn't be posting information if you are not an expert. Not all pine is edible.
Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla), the Yew pine (Taxus), Ponderosa Pines, also known as Blackjack Pine, Bull Pine, and Western Yellow Pine (Pinus ponderosa) are not edible.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I have just started giving my husband chamomile tea with grated fresh
ginger and turmeric.He hasn't asked for his pain medication since I started
giving him that tea.
I have asthma and I haven't had to use my inhaler for a long time.I use a large
spoon full of organic honey and several splashes of Tabasco sauce.It knocks
out any sore throat and cough.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

By the way, growing ginger root is really easy, break off a piece and put it in with some potting soil, you'll see little shoots that look a little like bamboo

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Before anyone eats anything listed in this thread, Please research.

Now is a good time to educate yourself. There are foraging groups around. It is really
great to go with someone that can show you hands on what to look for and what to avoid.

If the internet / electricity goes out, where will you find this information... something to think about.

edit on 19-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

There is advice in John Wiseman's The SAS Survival Handbook that is considered inappropriate these days.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I could totally see a bunch of people trying to be fishermen overnight!

Medication is a huge issue if there is a collapse.

I would not loot opiates, that is probably where the most people are going to be.
Learn natural alternative.
Willow bark = natural aspirin

Also if you want to help anything grow, use water that had willow pieces soaked into it, it will help anything root better.

That's interesting about the willow

I'm ruined in societal collapse though without my medication though, maybe I could last half a year or so because nobody will be looting my drug, but at some point I'd be screwed.
The opiates I'd loot would simply be to kill myself once I could no longer stand upright and walk in a straight line.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'd also say to learn how to grow and can vegetables for long-term storage. Store seeds and soil. Once a month go to a warehouse store and buy bulk of whatever is on sale (beans/canned goods). Learn how to store powders and flours and grains for long-term... Become an expert at that instead of trying to be a Google-Nutritionist or worse, trial and error.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I think I remember you saying you have some form of vertigo,
Have you tried chiropractic care or epley maneuvers?

You'd be surprised how much chiropractic care can help vertigo issues.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Love that you mentioned proper storage of seeds.
Many people don't even know how to prepare tomato seeds for storage!
It's a two week long process!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Right? Ya can't just put them in a baggie lol!

It takes a lot more to storage than people think! Seriously tho I'd rather go to my basement and pop open a jar of stored beans than forage around the woods for something that "might" be edible. There are certainly plenty of things to eat in nature but I'd reserve that as a last resort.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

The best things to use for storage is canning jars! You have different
sizes and they are glass and can be sterilized.I stored spices into quart
sized jars along with an oxy-absorber.You can't use these absorbers for
some things though,I think like salt,maybe sugar.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I think I remember you saying you have some form of vertigo,
Have you tried chiropractic care or epley maneuvers?

You'd be surprised how much chiropractic care can help vertigo issues.
I had my first session at the hospital yesterday, it was awful.
My thread about 'touching people' was inspired by it, the female doctor and nurse were rubbing my back and shoulder to comfort me while I was dizzy and vulnerable.
I've got another session first week of January, I'm hoping it works, could do with working properly again, running out of money lol.

Food wise though, if Britain got hit by an EMP we'd be ruined without help from other nations. The shops would be looted within hours, and if everyone in my town started fishing and foraging from the shore there would be not much left within weeks. Mussels and seaweed take a while to grow.
...to be honest, if we did get an EMP and it took out the power for our nuclear power stations I think we'll have more to worry about than food.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

in the event of a emp i agree food will be low on the list

i doubt any nuclear power station is protected

the radiation that would be in the water would probly kill you assuming you where up wind and not aredy dead

even tho being costal is a great sorce of food in a shtf senario i think living within 100 miles of the coast is a death sentance

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian
The nuclear power stations and their back up generators are my main concern. If those rods were not pulled it would be like loads of Chernobyls on this small island. We'd be screwed. No water cooling the rods, my guess that would be the core focus of authorities.

Foraging food is one thing, but in a nuclear disaster quite a different issue.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I would love to learn about fungi recognition because the only ones I know safe to eat in Britain make you trip lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I'm glad you made this thread because everyone in the other thread seemed to think I was crazy for saying survival would be possible without electricity. This is why I encourage people to learn local plants and fungi. My partner and I know all about spore prints and mushroom identification. We forage local plants all the time. We also know what trees produce nuts.

We love cooking so foraging is a fun activity for us.

We had a simple farmhouse on a very small plot of land and found all kinds of edible plants just on our property growing naturally. Wild turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, and snakes were common within 100 yards of just our house. All edible. We'd practice setting up snares, using slingshots, and even just a BB gun to catch animals.

All of this was only half a mile out of a city of a quarter million people. We've since moved to a much smaller town along two rivers where there are fresh springs.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

It would take about 16 billion calories a day just to maintain NYC. No city can survive without the rural farm community to sustain it.

I took a year of survival training when I was young and even though I've grown up in that lifestyle on farms and ranches, hunting, fishing and tending to a garden and fruit orchards, I'd have trouble providing in the wild for more than a couple of people.

Even then it would only be possible if there were adequate wild game available year round. Without the fat and meat, in the wild nobody can survive for more than a few months on only fruits and vegetables and in colder climates in the winter, you would likely die withing a couple of months.

Survival is not something you can learn overnight on the fly. It takes years of experience and the proper tools and knowledge.

I believe the average city now has at most two to three days of food on hand. An EMP would likely result in a lot of deaths.

Those people who loot during protests, imagine what they would do if they had to fight for food to survive. It would be utter chaos.

Many of us grew up knowing how to live off the land and how. I've eaten things that would gag a maggot on survival trips. One thing I know is if you don't know how to get meat, you will not make it living off the land and wild edibles. A small town would wipe out the edibles in range very quickly.

People who are prepared in advance will make it. Very few who say they are, actually are in my experience. If we suffer and EMP that shuts down the grid for months, lots of people are going to die and only those willing to do things like eating worms and insects will make it in the end.

Walk into a wild area with just what you can carry and give it a try. People should really do that if they want to survive. It's a valuable life lesson. Most would end up doing what the people do on those ridiculous survival shows. Just sit there starving waiting to be rescued.
edit on 12/19/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I completely agree with planning and also the ability to harvest meat.

A lot of people miss the little things though... here is what I have learned the last ten years about pre-preparing.

Things people don't think about...

Learn how to make and maintain your own sourdough starter.

Doesn't sound like a big thing, but it is a force multiplier because of what you can do with active yeast and barter.

My neighbor, for instance, has a couple acres of wheat and an acre of barley.

I grow hops and have for years worked extensively on berries for the property.

So I have gotten pretty proficient at making my own beer. Also berry wines.

Having bees really helps, but you can get away from honey if you have berries with enough sugar.

Wine-making currently pays my property taxes and through barter gets me a whole lot of things done for next to nothing, in terms of labor and ingredient cost.

If everything goes south, alcohol will be a bigger deal than bullets.

Berries? The firs thing I did when I bought my property was scattered Juneberries (Saskatoon) all over the property.

Why? First, it is the first bush berry to come up in the late spring.

I make pemmican with it. You need berries and a critter with meat and fat.

Pemmican seems to last at least a year and you can live off of it.

I have elderberries. They have a lot of medicinal properties and make an excellent wine when mixed with either huckleberry (have those) or strawberries (have those.)

I have two willow trees (that has been explained in this thread, although to flesh one topic out, making a willow teas and soaking about any cutting in it makes it grow roots) and a small stand of witch hazel. (Medicinal).

Blackberries I scattered all over the first year, some big thorned ones that seem to deter the deer a bit.

Also in the first year I put Egyptian Walking onions... everywhere.

They grow like weeds, the deer don't eat them and you can use the stalks, bulbs and roots as food.

Put in an orchard an made sure that the apples were for different seasons, so I have 3 different crops.

Apple cider is easy to make (get a press) and hard apple cider is just as easy and barters quite well.

I have a root cellar, which turns out to be a science all of it's own but potatoes, apples (separate the two!!!) and other tubers and fruits keep us in grub until spring.

KALE: it seems to be a horrible thing to eat, but prepared correctly you will have greens through the whole winter without a greenhouse.

Figure out what a solar oven is, make or buy one and use it!!!

Keep in mind that the most important thing you will need is a clean source of water.

Keep in mind that you will not always have bullets to get meat.

As an extreme learn to make your own bow and arrows (Willow shoots for the arrows work very well). A not so extreme method is at least learning to trap... and although not currently legal, a grizzly trap with a carrot on the pan makes an excellent deer catcher.

Have elk available? Get a 1/2 inch steel cable and put it neck high on their usual trail. Spook them when you see them. They break their necks on the cable.

I live off-grid... no ties to the electric company. However, we turn off our power for a month in June and 3 weeks in February.

See what it is like to live without and you can make the adjustments you need to do before you REALLY need to make the adjustments and can't.

Random thoughts about stuff I've done and am working on...

Hope it helps someone.

edit on 19-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join