It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants to pull all US troops from Syria

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Personally, I think we should pull 100% of our troops out of ALL the Middle East!

Oil in Syria? So what! Let 'em take the oil, who cares. Oil is just a commodity and can only command so much in a market full of competitors. OPEC will crush them anyway.

Bush 2 should have done it. Obama should have done it. Trump SHOULD do it!

GET U.S. TROOPS OFF MIDDLE EASTERN SOIL...NOW! ALL OF THEM!

Oh, and listen up, M.E. ...with our troops goes our MONEY! Your countries are all YOURS!

Let the killing an genocide begin!

The U.S. will gladly sit on the sidelines and watch. Have a nice day!

Exactly

Amazing how those with the most to gain (those with major defense Co. holdings) advocate strongest for endless military action/conflict

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The Secretary of Defense just resigned with a remarkable FU letter to Trump.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Extorris

It was more like a professional letter of resignation with a deep disagreement on policy. It does not in any way imply an "FU".
edit on 20 12 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

It was more like a professional letter of resignation with a deep disagreement on policy. It does not in any way imply an "FU".

30+ year maddog marine...I would hope their policies are not the same...lol

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I don't think people would really understand that dynamic.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Dear Mr. President:

I have been privileged to serve as our country's 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.

(Priveledge to serve alongside DOD, no mention of his boss, Trump)

I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department's business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong U.S. global influence.

(the following is an indictment of Trumps's destruction of alliances, abandoning countries that stood by us combat and generally screwing over the free world and ceding the globe to Putin and China and other despots)

One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO's 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.
Similarly, I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model - gaining veto authority over other nations' economic, diplomatic, and security decisions - to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.

My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.

Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects,

(just wow - read the preceeding paragraph again and here Mattis calls out the POTUS as NOT having those views)

I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department's interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability Within the Department.

I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.

I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.
(Again..appreciates serving the Nation and Troops..no mention of Trump)

(A resignation letter that doesn't once thank Trump for the opportunity)

edit on 20-12-2018 by Extorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Ok, so where is the FU?

Oh, he didn't thank Trump? I didn't thank the last place I quit in my resignation letter, was that an FU to the manager?
edit on 20 12 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Ok, so where is the FU?

Oh, he didn't thank Trump? I didn't thank the last place I quit in my resignation letter, was that an FU to the manager?

You handed your boss a letter than said it was privledge to serve with...You peers? The Customers? etc.

But never thank your boss?

Yes. Mattis's letter is sharp rebuke of Trump and his world view.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

It is a rebuke, but not a disrespectful one as you characterize it.

What is there to thank Trump for from Mattis' perspective since Mattis wants to stay in Syria and kiss Globalist ass in Europe and Trump doesn't?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The question for people who back Trump's view in all this is, why do you choose to follow his opinion rather than the person who is an expert in it and who has more in-depth knowledge of the complexities of the entire situation than Trump? Syria is the headline but it isn't the only part of the issue here, it is the working partnership with other countries, not just in this fight now, but in other fights also now and in the future. Pulling out and doing it without informing other countries who you are working with, who you are supposed to be allies with, is not only going to damage the reputation of America, but also diminish it's ability to work with fellow nations whose relationships with the US are supposed to be vital. Trump is known to be impulsive and goes from his gut, and that might be fine when it comes to business as he has history with that (ignoring the many times he has been bankrupt) but he has zero knowledge of military and security affairs and their complexities.

Remember, Mattis' entire career is based around serving the United States and its President. You can't get much more of a patriot than a 4 Star General. He is the one person who knows everything there is to know about the general security of America and what it needs to do both short term and long term. If he feels so strongly that he prefers to resign than follow what his commanding officer is doing, I think that speaks volumes.

Trump is either a more insightful and wise man than those who are experts in their field, or he's just an impulsive, politically motivated idiot. He can't be both.
edit on 21-12-2018 by bluesilver because: no reason given

Quote by Lincoln:
"Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years. At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer. If it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad"
edit on 21-12-2018 by bluesilver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   
President Trump 'to pull thousands of troops' from Afghanistan www.bbc.co.uk...

So 7,000 troops from the train and assist role are returning to the US. Obviously I don’t want to boycott the thread but I thought this is relavent and adds to the overall picture

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

from Mattis' perspective since Mattis wants to stay in Syria and kiss Globalist ass in Europe and Trump doesn't?

We are screwing our allies that stood beside us and sent their troops to fight with us when we asked.
We are breaking promises we made to locals there that will be slaughtered when we leave.
We are handing over power to Russia, China and Iran.

What does it tell you when the only person elated about this move is Vladmir Putin.

This is a sickening betrayal.

Next time there is a world crisis and we ask our allies to stand with they will not trust us.
Next time we American Troops tell locals we will protect them in return for their help and support, they will remember this.

President Trump is void of honor.

THIS is where Mattis cited disagreement with President Trump:

" strong alliances and showing respect to those allies."

" providing effective leadership to our alliances."

"It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model - gaining veto authority over other nations' economic, diplomatic, and security decisions - to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense. "

"treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors"

President Trump is serving Russia's agenda.
edit on 21-12-2018 by Extorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

lol. Ok.

This new left is awful.

I remember when they were anti war. Now they want to continue to stay in Syria.

Whatever happened to the argument that all we do is bomb brown people? Or is that a good thing now?

Y'all need to make up your minds.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

lol. Ok.

This new left is awful.

I am not "left"?

Nor is Mattis.

Try again.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

So youre a never trumper and Mattis is a war monger.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

So youre a never trumper and Mattis is a war monger.

And you cower behind labels?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Oh stop.

You're not better than anyone else.

Your criticisms of Trump are as mindless as those I mentioned.

Keep cheering on war.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Putin wanted the US out of Syria. And trump bent over....that's why Mattis left, pure and simple.

Mattis and Kelly both had bipartisan support. Now they're gone and russia will be in control of the region. what could possibly go wrong with russia's new alliance with China. Russia is not our friend and we just gave them control of the ME and the oil shipping lanes. Smart move trump!

This isn't a move to more peace in the region...this is a move toward a BIG war with horrible consequences.

Perhaps a little research in international affairs could help with dissipating your ignorance.

nationalinterest.org...

www.nytimes.com...

academic.oup.com...

edit on 21-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

lol. Ok.

This new left is awful.

I remember when they were anti war. Now they want to continue to stay in Syria.

Whatever happened to the argument that all we do is bomb brown people? Or is that a good thing now?

Y'all need to make up your minds.

Nothing Trump does is good to the left. He could come out tomorrow in support of repealing the 2nd Amendment and they'd suddenly all be pro-gun.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Putin wanted us out of Syria the day Trump took office. Learn to think for yourself.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join