It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants to pull all US troops from Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In Drastic Reversal, US Set For "Full Withdrawal" From Syria As Trump Claims Victory Over ISIS

update: It's official, within an hour after the first headline the president tweeted "We have defeated ISIS in Syria" and in reference to reports of a planned US troop withdrawal from Syria which unnamed officials say is to be initiated "immediately," he added that the terror group's defeat was "my only reason for being there".

Minutes after the WSJ first broke the story, The Washington Post confirmed the following through a defense official:

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a decision that has not yet been announced, said the decision would include the entire force of more than 2,000 U.S. service members. It was made on Tuesday, the official said.
President Trump has long promised to conclude the campaign against the Islamic State and has questioned the value of costly and dangerous military missions overseas.

I say: Finally.

I follow the Syrian Civil War, as some of you might know, and trust me that the US is doing almost nothing to fight ISIS in Syria. It's purely a pretense. The fighting against ISIS is being done by a combination of Syrian, Kurdish, and Iraqi forces. Also, the US seems to have given up on trying to force Assad out of power, so there's really no reason to keep US troops there.

As it is, most US troops are in the Kurdish areas in the north of Syria. Turkey has been rattling its saber about invading the Kurdish areas, ostensibly because of Kurdish terrorist groups but really because they won't allow an independent Kurdish state to exist. US troops have been stopping that. If they pull out, the most likely scenario is that the Kurds will be forced to reunite with the Syrian government to keep the Turkish troops out.

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

A good decision.

I wish we could leave Afghanistan as well.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
He has claimed similar things before, only to reverse after supposed Assad gas attacks

I am hoping he stick to his guns

We have no business arming terrorists to help overthrow a government

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Finally, something that makes perfect sense!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Only a trifle remains - the United States defeated all the other terrorists and victoriously withdrew its troops from Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Ukraine and a whole list of countries with 800 Amenikan military bases.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

Only a trifle remains - the United States defeated all the other terrorists

Not really, they moved them to Germany.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

Germany???
Ah, this is the state of America))))

At the word "Rammstein" I remember a rock band, not an American military base, excuse me)))

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Many of them also went to England, France, Italy, Belgium...

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
also reply to: AndyFromMichigan
Oh come on now Andy, we have heard this at least twice in reference to al-tanf, and probably twice more in general. I will believe it when I see it. In any case, considering the heavy investment of radar sites in Rojava as well as French and American bases setup with multinational forces, I don't expect them to be leaving there. I can almost predict with confidence that this would only apply to al-tanf, and perhaps to whoever is on the ground in Idlib.

There are Apache helicopters patrolling the border with new turkish land (seized by their irregular forces from North Syria) in an effort to keep TAF and their irregular forces from any unsanctioned adventurism against Rojava.

How are we all supposed to have personal support robots in ten to fifteen years if we yield our new mineral rich land acquisitions?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If he does, about time.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

Many of them also went to England, France, Italy, Belgium...

They need to move them to the border with Mexico.

As for Afghanistan, how long have we been there? 18 years? For what? Minerals?
They haven't taken one pound of minerals out in 18 years.

When the heroin came from the Golden Triangle, the French owned it. Labs were in Marseilles and they supplied the World (French Connection.) Then the US took over and we have run the dope trade ever since. The Taliban were against opium when we went there. We recruited the drug lords/warlords and we guard the fields. Afghanistan now produces 90% of the world's heroin, controlled by the CIA. When you read about it, the papers say we are fighting Taliban opium growers. All bs. They make it sound like everything comes from China and Mexico. They add fentanyl to the heroin for a kick but where are they getting the heroin from?

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that this heroin epidemic started the same time we went to Afghanistan?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54
Now you know why they called HW Bush "Poppy."

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
After more than a decade of moving red lines and half measures getting out is probably the best move.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
All diplomatic staff to leave within 24 hours.
Isn't it suspicious? What requires such an urgent departure?

Seems to me all hell will break loose for Christmas, Ukraine, Syria, etc.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'd be willing to bet the MSM, Republicans, Democrats, and the EU will be railing against pulling out the troops. Just like last time Trump mentioned pulling the troops out of Syria.

ETA: Lindsey Graham already proving me right, "Withdrawal of this small American force in Syria would be a huge Obama-like mistake."
Source: Twitter
edit on 19-12-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2012newstart
All diplomatic staff to leave within 24 hours.
Isn't it suspicious? What requires such an urgent departure?

Seems to me all hell will break loose for Christmas, Ukraine, Syria, etc.

Maybe he's trying to get it moving before the Rebels (read: UK/France) can stage another chemical weapon attack.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I don't believe that we have victory over isis (mission complete?) but I think it's a great idea to remove or guys.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A good decision.

I wish we could leave Afghanistan as well.

I second this!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It will be the very best thing Trump as done in his presidency. We have to stop killing Arabs for Israel. Destabilizing the governments of the countries surrounding Israel is not going to end well for the US or Israel. Peace in the Middle East is now simply not possible after the last 20 years of US military bombings. Maybe in 100 or 200 years from now.

edit on 19-12-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

He must be worried about his ratings, and needs something to pump him up for a bit. He'll get some support back and then just never again mention it.

edit on 19-12-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join