It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashback: Michelle Obama Is A Moron; Here's Her Princeton Thesis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It's the universal language.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: Aallanon
a reply to: Dfairlite

Why is blacks capitalized (3 times)

Probably because -- at least back in the day -- that's how we were taught; to capitalize races in writing/typing, just as if we were writing/typing "Caucasian" or "African." When I worked for the county, they were real sticklers about that. It was considered a sign of respect.

I'm just a little older than Michelle, so I assume she learned the same as I did.

I don't think that there is a strong black and white rule for capitalizing in that context even now, and while I'm not from your generation it doesn't surprise me they would capitalize those uses back then.

Proper nouns are specific entities. So if you're referring to to the black community, one could say that is a specific entity.

We capitalize Americans, Germans, Britons, so when referring to subsets of community, it doesn't look like an error to me if someone decides to capitalize Blacks, Whites ect.

It also doesn't look to be an error if someone doesn't as those could be considered broad groups as oppose to specific. Context and perception I suppose.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
if im mot a lit or English major, i wouldn't give a toss about semi colons..

What about an abdominal surgeon?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

What about an abdominal surgeon?

oh i see what you did there. 😁

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The science thesis's would be ripped apart by many in this crowd.

Some of the genius minds from that realm lack even common sense or standard social skills. The flow, word structure, and ways of getting messages across just wouldn't read as normal to the layman.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

That's fine. But as an adjective it shouldn't be capitalized (eg "my blackness")

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

The problem is that her science sucks as well as her grammar.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Oh, My, God.

Impeach Trump!! he did it, get a lawyer, somehow, somewhere...

... Don't reach like they do, to get dirt.

:/

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
For 1985 it isn't that bad. If the same was handed in now that is a different story because of the available technology. 1985 Macintosh Plus 1MB home computer was the best most people could hope for then, but not many had them. Unless that was for an English major then I can understand the flaws.

I don't see this as a "smocking" gun. Covfefe!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

you should see engineering/physics thesis...youd think they were written by high school students if not for the incredibly complex proofs and maths involved...

Very true. My friend is a English Prof at John Jay and she often lets me read some of her student's papers, the scientific ones are the worst, littered with bad punctuation and difficult to understand sentences.

I read the one from the Original Post, while not earth shattering it wasn't like the clunkers I've recently read. It could have used some editing and polishing up but it wasn't terrible.

edit on 19-12-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

She didn't go to school for science, and my comment about science majors had nothing to do with her.

Believe it or not, many people aren't phenomenal writers, even Ivy League students.

The point of a thesis is to demonstrate you can convey an idea to a large audience. Many students go on to be very successful in their field, but that is much different because you are amongst peers and are like minded, so it's easier to communicate.

Did she demonstrate she could have an idea and convey it? Yes. Was anything particular moving or any indication of being stellar in any regard? No.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I tend to agree -- I don't think there's any hard and fast rules. I can see the logic in capitalizing, because people are not actually white or black in color; rather, the terms refer to specific groups of people.

And rules are subject to change. I still double space after periods because that's my habit. I doubt I could stop if I tried. I also still spell judgment without the "e"!

link   
It's well enough written for an 5th grade student.

link   

Graduating from Princeton with honors and Harvard Law aren't accomplishments but getting millions of dollars from daddy and then blowing it all multiple times are?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Is there a reason why you've used an apostrophe in the word 'commas' twice in your op? The plural of comma is commas. Is there a reason why you wrote "no only that..."?

I was an English teacher for a decade and a magazine editor for nearly a decade as well. I might take a look tomorrow and let you know my thoughts on the thesis, but I do know that if you are going to mock others on their spelling and grammar, make damn sure you get yours 100% spot on.

I'm horribly drunk at the moment, so I'm not going to run through it right now. I hope everyone is doing well tonight.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Graduating from Princeton with honors and Harvard Law aren't accomplishments but getting millions of dollars from daddy and then blowing it all multiple times are?

There is more than one kind of affirmative action

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Like Trump being dumb as a brick but getting accepted into prestigious schools because his dad had a large bank account?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

That's fine. But as an adjective it shouldn't be capitalized (eg "my blackness")

You can pass without it being perfect.

Again, I said the piece was decent, it's passing material. In college I read many of my peers papers that passed and believe me they weren't a joy to read, or anything that made me feel like I was moved or even intellectually engaged.

These are exercises for students to demonstrate they have the capability to do the task at hand. Most won't do it at a level of excellence.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

It’s ok we get it, you are so jealous of the Obama’s that you dig up Michelle Obama’s college thesis and ridicule it. As if it matters in the least to who she is as a person. Hell, my college thesis was on pp collisions of neutrinos, I would love to know how that defines me as a human. Especially because it was the only damn thing I could think to write my thesis on because it was the only experiment I was apart of that I found interesting.

For most people, your college thesis is just something you have to do, not something to define who you are as a person.

But keep on obsessing on the Obama’s 2 years after they left public life, so sad.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join