It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit Job Loss Horror!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Every one going on about the small business in the UK that are going under

when the UK leaves the EU need to remember that it works both ways.

I was watching a news programme yesterday and a reporter was in a couple

of 'parts' factories in the EU (didn't catch which country) but the owners were

'worried' because around 50% of their business was done with the UK and they

weren't too sure how it would effect their business's.

Business's can't do business on their own, they need suppliers and markets

a mutual financial not political dependency?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The only problem with that is that its going to totally screw over the little guys, like those 5000 folks working in the car factory down the road who wind up getting fired because the firm says its just easier now to do it all on the content....

Well those people at the car factories are not really the "little guys" are they? Maybe compared to the bankers yeah, but these car factory workers are paid quite well thank you, the average pay for a production operator at JLR (whom you were referring to) is just under £40k per year, which is massive!

The little guys are the small farmers, who because of the EU's Common Agricultural Policy, get paid per hectare, so it's the little farmers that lose out to the big farmers. Though, I do concede that the EU have improved their CAP scheme.

The little guys are the small-scale fishermen who have lost their jobs and livelihood (along with their community), because of the EU's Common Fisheries Policy.

There have been hundred's of thousands of jobs lost over the years because we're in the EU! These are the little guys, who have had no voice and no-one ever sticks up for them. When we leave the EU, some of the these jobs will become available again.

I would consider myself one the the "little guys", please tell me how I'm going to be screwed over and become directly poorer, when we leave the EU. Bear in mind I try to shop locally and mainly eat British made/produced foods.

Well one way is that the cost off food is expected to rise post brexit. A factor that will impact the poorest in society the most.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Glad you are now acknowledging the reality that Brexit is bad for both UK & EU.

However it almost certainly will be worse for the UK. Large companies are going to want to produce goods within the Single Market. This is going to have a dramatic effect on inward investment in the UK.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Well one way is that the cost off food is expected to rise post brexit. A factor that will impact the poorest in society the most.

I agree that the food produced in the EU, COULD cost more, but it COULD also cost the same, if we get some sort of free-trade deal, which would benefit both the UK and EU.
And if we leave the EU we will then have the ability to make free-trade deals with other countries, which COULD make their imported food cheaper for us.

So it's not black and white like you seem.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I agree that the food produced in the EU, COULD cost more, but it COULD also cost the same, if we get some sort of free-trade deal, which would benefit both the UK and EU.
And if we leave the EU we will then have the ability to make free-trade deals with other countries, which COULD make their imported food cheaper for us.

So it's not black and white like you seem.

Only EU Is by far our largest trading partner and any increase in costs will be felt more. A trade deal with the EU that's acceptable is also looking extremely unlikely.

Trade deals with the rest of the world will also not materialise overnight and are unlikely to make up the loss of being outside the customs union/ single market.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Do you have any examples of this? Perhaps a source to some evidence?

I agree food purchased from inside the eu ‘could’ become more expensive, that is only a ‘could’ though because no agreements have been made.

But we would be free to ditch tariffs/levies on food from outside the eu. I could be specific but it would pull the debate in the wrong direction. (Oranges spring to mind, tariff imposed to protect Spanish farmers, remember though that is just one product and shouldn’t be the focus of debate).

I think if you claim food prices will definitely increase you should show some definitive proof.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Do you have any examples of this? Perhaps a source to some evidence?

I agree food purchased from inside the eu ‘could’ become more expensive, that is only a ‘could’ though because no agreements have been made.

But we would be free to ditch tariffs/levies on food from outside the eu. I could be specific but it would pull the debate in the wrong direction. (Oranges spring to mind, tariff imposed to protect Spanish farmers, remember though that is just one product and shouldn’t be the focus of debate).

I think if you claim food prices will definitely increase you should show some definitive proof.

Happy to post sources, or explain the economics behind it if you prefer. ( both are also easy to look up)

First however please quote where I said food prices will definitely increase.
edit on 20-12-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

No, no, sorry, my mistake, you said ‘is expected to rise’. Which is a completely respectable statement.

Sorry, I was illegally reading and replying whilst stuck in traffic.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   

No, no, sorry, my mistake, you said ‘is expected to rise’. Which is a completely respectable statement.

Sorry, I was illegally reading and replying whilst stuck in traffic.

Fair enough.

Reason I sounded a bit prickly is I get annoyed by the casting of complex multi variable economic questions as definite this will happen ( something both sides are guilty of).

The reality is that what happens to the UK economy date brexit will be influenced as much or more by government decisions and the wider world economy than by brexit it self.

All else being equal Brexit is likely to reduce standard of living on the UK. However it is at least possible that some smart economic policy decisions by the government could either prevent this or even make us better off.*

*not much confidence in this either from current government or opposition I am afraid.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Watching The BBC News last night, and they where reporting from a German Printing Company.

The company do most of their business with The U.K. They are fearful that if a deal can't be struck, their company will have to close.

It is not " all one way traffic "

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Food is complicated but also an example of where the UK imports more than it exports. The UK will never be self-sufficient in food, and should not try. But the UK does have some of the best welfare standards, so that's a selling point. In the economics of food, are the EU really willing to sacrifice the Danish pork industry, or bulldoze the Dutch glasshouses, or the Spanish tomato industry just to prove a point? Well, probably.

In the economics of food, if a Spanish tomato, or a Dutch courgette, or a French bag of wheat gets too expensive, then the supermarkets will change their supply chain. Tomatoes grow very well in Turkey, or Morocco, or Egypt. As to exports - well if the EU makes the export of English wine complicated then I am sure a reciprocal complication can be added to French, Spanish and Italian wine.

One good thing that may come out of Brexit is the unilateral prohibition of export and import of live animals and the raising of standards for meat imports.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Watching The BBC News last night, and they where reporting from a German Printing Company
The company do most of their business with The U.K. They are fearful that if a deal can't be struck, their company will have to close.

It is not " all one way traffic "

Which proves the point that the EU is more interested in punishing the UK

for 'daring' to leave the EU and as a lesson to any other countries waiting

in the wings to do the same...... and there are some.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

well thank # the US isnt in a union with EU and trying to leave as we'd never hear the end of it !

we speak about brexit for a couple months and we are whining yet ATS is awash with US political dichotomy threads of nothing but whining from US members every single day!

Kind of hypocritical to say that the UK members are whining about brexit , when in comparison all the US members do is whine about politics , Clinton < Trump how how many threads , left right bashing , bush , obama , obama , trump
it's like that is absolutely all that you ever talk about !

and it says a lot about you as a person if all you want to do is try to wind up UK members in all of your posts telling us to SUCK IT UP !

Ken whit ye can suck ?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Yes - Trump this, Hilary that, right v left etc. It's been endless whining.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

aye carpy I am fed up of all the constant bickering and whining from US members, you voted for him so SUCK IT UP
to all the clintons and SUCK IT UP to all the folk who hate trump

just SUCK IT UP and wheesht

like actually gonnae jist PIPE DOON

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Why is it, do you think, that the EU is at this present time our biggest trading partner?

Do you think, maybe, it is because we are in the EU?

What a redundant argument you put forth.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Trouble is, they ain't gonna stop their whining - ever. American politics. It's more of a joke than ours!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

Why is it, do you think, that the EU is at this present time our biggest trading partner?

Do you think, maybe, it is because we are in the EU?

What a redundant argument you put forth.

Because it's a massive block of 500million people, with similar developed economies, that is on the nearest land mass might also have a bit to do with.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I think that might just have more to do with it.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

. . . winter sports and recreational tourism have very significant negative environmental and cultural impacts.

. . . much of this employment is in the form of low-skilled low-paying jobs that exceed the size of the local workforce. As a result, there is an influx of outside workers with the attendant challenges to housing and social support . . .

www.onthesnow.com...

Stuff the twits they're trashing my planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join