It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Passes Sweeping Criminal Justice Overhaul with Bi-Partisan Support.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
December 18, 2018

I don't understand it all yet, but this major overhaul of our Criminal Justice System is being greeted and welcomed almost universally tonight.

On the afternoon of September 5 2018, President Donald Trump sat in the Oval Office debating whether to throw his support behind the most extensive overhaul of prison and sentencing laws in years.

Across the room, an unlikely group of allies tried to persuade him to join them. His son-in-law, Jared Kushner -- the driving force behind the effort -- had invited the liberal commentator and former Obama administration official Van Jones, and celebrity Kim Kardashian West, to the White House for an impromptu meeting.

The half-hour meeting was just one of several pivotal moments that ultimately led Trump to endorse a groundbreaking prison and sentencing overhaul bill last month, ramping up pressure on a reluctant Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell -- who has doomed similar efforts in the past -- to bring it to the floor for a vote.

On Tuesday night, Congress passed the bill 87 to 12. Trump is expected to sign it this week before leaving for his Mar-a-Lago resort. The effort cements what is so far the biggest bipartisan victory of his presidency and turns the page on decades of policies that critics say were brutal, racist, ineffective and costly.
Unlikely source: www.cnn.com...

A Rare Sight - Spartacus Hugs Grassley: twitter.com...

More regarding the effect of Reform/Overhaul in America: thehill.com...

I think/hope we'll see a HUGE bi-partisan designed modification to America's healthcare delivery system in 2019 too!

-CareWeMust

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Is this the one they were talking about changing life sentences for drugs to "only" 25 year sentences?

lol

...what a joke

We need real reform of most laws, not some bs platitude like our yuge tax savings.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Both parties are behind it? Huge red flag.

Kim freaking Kardashian being invited to discuss it? Even bigger red flag. Why tf are the Kardashians being invited to the White House so much? Really weird.
edit on 12/18/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

A step in the right direction.
Cheers to The Presidents open mind
on this.

Seasons Greetings, and Merry Christmas
to you and yours!
S&F

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Beware the Superpredators down in DC signed a bill with unanimous bipartisan support. It just HAS to be bad.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

One thing this reform does is not put 18 year old's in prison for 20 years, if they're caught with a small amount of a drug.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Seeing that CNN guy, VAN JONES, praising President Trump and Jared Kushner, was a Twilight Zone moment.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Good start I say. Yes please. Thank you. Can we have another?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Kim freaking Kardashian being invited to discuss it? Even bigger red flag. Why tf are the Kardashians being invited to the White House so much? Really weird.

From the CNN article in the O.P..

Alice Marie Johnson, a 63-year-old woman who had been serving a life sentence for money laundering and a nonviolent drug offense until Trump granted her clemency in June to broad acclaim

Kim Kardashian went to the White House to petition for Alice Marie Johnson's release, and again to urge President Trump to support this Justice overhaul bill.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Merry Christmas and a Joy-filled holiday season to you too, Wildmanimal!

(I'm glad "Christmas" isn't a dirty word on ATS)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
Good start I say. Yes please. Thank you. Can we have another?

They should work on overhauling the U.S. healthcare delivery system next.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Since that Dinosaur Sessions is finally extinct I can't wait to see what else we can do.

Marijuana legalization would be a Mt. Rushmore level achievement and legacy.

With no worry that the incoming administration would dismantle it.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Here are the bills in question. Read them for yourselves and make up your own minds.

www.govtrack.us...=relevance

It all sounds great to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Somehow I feel you'd be celebrating this reform bill if it was a Democrat president.

Maybe this is why we can't get anything done that's positive?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Or.......maybe read what some of the changes are going to be before completely tossing it away.....

A bit disingenuous don't you think???

Democrats/liberals "we really need criminal justice reform!!!"

Republicans/conservatives "we need reform, the laws are antiquated and costing billions"

Trum admin/bi partisan effort "done!!!"

Liberals w TDS "this is bs and a trap"

Seriously it's literally getting to the point where I wonder if people aren't right abiut the whole 'Trump could cure cancer and the left would find a reason it was bad' thing
edit on 12/19/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
So the real question is, why didn't the last administration worked on the issue?

I mean, if they say they didn't had time to look into the broken criminal system, I'd ask them wtf they were doing all these 8 years.

You people need to account what the people you voted for worked in the time they were in the position.

Y'all have such a short memory I bet if Obama run for 2020 people would still vote for him.
edit on 19/12/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

The desire to do Justice overhaul has been around a long time. But there wasn't a President who supported/worked for it, until TRUMP.

The same with "Opportunity Zones". Senator Jack Kemp began discussing this concept with inner-city leaders, many years ago. But no President supported/worked for it....until TRUMP.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

The American people are status quo monkeys(yes me too), so if you finally get it decriminalized, the next admin will not touch it because it would be career suicide.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I do not like Trump, but this is a great move. It will save the U.S. a ton of money! He should be Tweeting about this, instead of bashing muller!
edit on 19-12-2018 by iplay1up2 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Or.......maybe read what some of the changes are going to be before completely tossing it away.....

A bit disingenuous don't you think???

Democrats/liberals "we really need criminal justice reform!!!"

Republicans/conservatives "we need reform, the laws are antiquated and costing billions"

Trum admin/bi partisan effort "done!!!"

Liberals w TDS "this is bs and a trap"

Seriously it's literally getting to the point where I wonder if people aren't right abiut the whole 'Trump could cure cancer and the left would find a reason it was bad' thing

How many 'liberals" think this is bad thing? Maybe a couple of isolated voices on an anonymous message board. Certianly not enough to paint all liberals as being against this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join