It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rudolph might go extinct thanks to Scott Walker! CWD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Fair enough.

Diseases like this though are in fact a national issue, not actually a local one, though I can see the farmers concerns.

Mostly though I was commenting on the Koch Brothers, Monsanto slant.

This is where the "buck" should stop since it involves multiple states and is spreading.

Only a national effort would do any good to begin with.

I can agree this with Walker may be a political move. But then that's what politicians are supposed to do. React to the will of the people. Any self respecting Democrat or Republican does it, all of them.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Idaho was experiencing a lot of that while I still lived there in the 90's. Sierra Club and their offshoots kept stopping special hunts and letting the herds starve to death. Then I find out recently the Sierra Club has been getting heavy funding from China due to their interest in law suits to stop weapons testing, development and military training. What a mess.

Oops, going off topic a bit here.

I think only the feds can deal with an issue like this in any meaningful way by funding research.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I don't think it'll happen though. Too many people in high places who have it in for hunters. Despite the simple fact that most hunters care about the environment far more than many of their opponents.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

If this is prion based as it probably is, it's going to be tough. About the only way to control it is to cull the herds, target the sick, if at all possible, and perhaps at the same time, reduce the numbers of deer to something approaching manageable.

But, as ever, it'll be contingent upon "what's in it for me".

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

If this is prion based as it probably is, it's going to be tough. About the only way to control it is to cull the herds, target the sick, if at all possible, and perhaps at the same time, reduce the numbers of deer to something approaching manageable.

But, as ever, it'll be contingent upon "what's in it for me".

I agree 100%

Just look at this map. Just think if this was ebola, what would people suggest? Isolate! control the spread.
It's not rocket science. Many think it could have been managed 8 years ago.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think if a vaccine is developed it would be possible to protect enough herds to stop its spread. It would take federal action I think. Probably not doable though.

Sometimes nature wins and perhaps this was inevitable when the herds got to large. There is likely a population of deer that are naturally immune and nature may just have to take it's course.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

That map is actually showing zip codes of people who got hunting permits if I'm not wrong. Have you seen a map of where the disease is spreading too?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

That map is actually showing zip codes of people who got hunting permits if I'm not wrong. Have you seen a map of where the disease is spreading too?

My Bad, looks like Colorado might be the hotbed!

www.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Thanks

From Wiki

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) of mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk (or "wapiti"), moose, and caribou. As of 2016, CWD had been found in members of the deer family only.[1] First recognized as a clinical "wasting" syndrome in 1967 in mule deer in a wildlife research facility in northern Colorado, USA, it was identified as a TSE in 1978 and has spread to free-ranging and captive populations in 23 US states and two Canadian provinces.[2] CWD is typified by chronic weight loss leading to death. No relationship is known between CWD and any other TSEs of animals or people.

Although reports in the popular press have been made of humans being affected by CWD, a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests, "[m]ore epidemiologic and laboratory studies are needed to monitor the possibility of such transmissions".[3] The epidemiological study further concluded, "[a]s a precaution, hunters should avoid eating deer and elk tissues known to harbor the CWD agent (e.g., brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes) from areas where CWD has been identified

The disease was first identified in 1967 in a closed herd of captive mule deer in contiguous portions of northeastern Colorado. In 1980, the disease was determined to be a TSE. It was first identified in wild elk and mules in 1981 in Colorado and Wyoming, and in farmed elk in 1997.

Looks like it's been know about since 1967, so it's nothing new. May have been here all along and the overpopulation and transmission through moving meat around caused it to be noticed. They just look like starving deer.

It's definitely a national, not local issue.
edit on 12/18/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
It's in Texas. It's a prion disease.

Round up didn't create it over the last 8 years.

No, it didn't create the disease. It just increased susceptibility of the animals to get the disease. Animals bodies have an immune system to protect it, what happens when something messes with the immune system and it does not work properly.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Are there vaccines against prion based illnesses?? I'll admit to having no clue. I hope so, as that would be one big obstacle out of the way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join