It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rudolph might go extinct thanks to Scott Walker! CWD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
www.qdma.com...

Check out that map, it show chronic wasting disease and Wisconsin sure looks like ground zero. I just read another article that is has been
discovered in Tennessee too.

How is this related to US politics?

Years ago our Governor at the time Scott Walker had the opportunity to try to do something, anything.

“Scott Walker has had eight years to address … what is one of the most potent threats to our deer herd ever,” Wachs said. “Eight years. And nothing has been done. Now they’re still trying to not do something about it? I don’t know what Nass’ problem with this is. Something needs to be done or we won’t have a deer herd. These people …” he said, trailing off.

fox6now.com...

Should humans be worried? It looks like there is a risk to humans.

In addition, the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance points out 3 rare cases of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans (4). In 1997-1998, three young adults were found to have the extremely rare CJD. The disease has similar symptoms to CWD. All three young adults had eaten venison, raising concern over whether these were cases of CWD transmission. However, the CDC found no direct evidence for this concern, states the CWD Alliance.

Sounds pretty scary to me!

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 18-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

It's almost like we are trying to control deer ebola after a total outbreak...seems almost impossible..
madison.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Damn him! That Scott he's a

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Does a governor address this , or the CDC or wildlife commission ?
See , you got ta ask yourself questions before you start a thread.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Out of curiosity, what could or should have been done?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Certain chemistries used in farming and even in food hunters put out to bait can cause immune system problems and actually cause more susceptability to the deer cantching diseases. With the post harvest spraying of glyphosate since 2010 or so, I think that the increase of chronic wasting may be related to that. It takes a while for glyphosate to do enough damage to actually cause problems, it is not a quick toxin to mammals. Deer can detox it but it can possibly alter their immune systems ability to respond to the prions and organisms that cause the chronic wasting disease. Also, with the gmo crops, they may not be used to the new chemistry in the grains they scavange, this could also lead to further wasting.

www.omicsonline.org...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

These kind of things do not directly cause the disease but can cause problems with immune response which means the disease can take hold easier.

We need more people to compare all the research to identify how come deer that should be healthy are getting this disease without being able to have their immune system fix the problem. These microbes causing this should be stimulating an immune response.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Does a governor address this , or the CDC or wildlife commission ?
See , you got ta ask yourself questions before you start a thread.

It starts at the top.

It is funny after Walker thought he might not get re-elected he rushed to implement these things:
This should have been done 8 years ago!

“We need to protect Wisconsin’s hunting traditions and long-standing heritage by working together to contain the spread of chronic wasting disease in deer,” said Governor Walker.

www.wisfarmer.com...

Governor Walker’s three-step plan creates a balanced approach to combat chronic wasting disease: Requiring enhanced deer farm fencing through a new DATCP rule. Currently, farms are required to have an eight-foot fence. Enhanced fencing would require either: a second eight-foot-high fence, an electric fence, or an impermeable physical barrier to meet the emergency rule’s requirements. Controlling the movement of potentially infected deer through the creation of a new DATCP rule banning the movement of live deer from deer farms in CWD-affected counties. Preventing contamination from hunted deer carrying CWD by tasking the DNR to create emergency and permanent rules banning the movement of deer carcasses from CWD-affected counties. Under the rule, Hunters can still quarter the deer within the county it was harvested and then take the meat anywhere in the state, but no portion of the spinal cord may be attached or moved. A hunter who harvests a deer in a CWD-affected county may only move a whole carcass outside of the county if the carcass is delivered to a licensed taxidermist or meat processor.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Many many things could have been done. Just like in any outbreak situation.

Limit contamination
isolate
educate

I am picking on Scott Walker, but the truth is that this is all about money and goes far deeper. Maybe even linked to Koch brothers and monsanto as there is a farming link

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Kill them all to keep them from dying, obviously.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

He was too busy trying to break the unions to care about the deer herd

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Our deer herd is ridiculously over-populated in the US.

If we do not allow their predators to control them and we will not control them, then Mother Nature will find ways to control them.

Lo and behold ... you have CWD.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Our deer herd is ridiculously over-populated in the US.

If we do not allow their predators to control them and we will not control them, then Mother Nature will find ways to control them.

Lo and behold ... you have CWD.

WE don't have an overpopulation problem here in the U.P. It's just that less kids are interested in hunting these days. I like a good venison roast with roaster potatoes and carrots. or venison salami for sandwiches.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Maybe you can hunt more in the rural areas, but they are very, very overpopulated in urban/suburban areas.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Drive any distance in WI in the fall, and the amount of road pizza will speak for itself.

The deer are overpopulated, and indeed Mother Nature and motorists have stepped in.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I'm not arguing with you, just throwing stuff into the discussion. I live in the CWD area of the state.

CWD was first discovered in Wisconsin about 18 years ago. Long before Walker's time. The DNR has implemented a pretty intensive strategy to "combat" the disease.
dnr.wi.gov...

Regardless, it has spread. There is no treatment and no vaccine. There is more we don't know about CWD than we do know.

I fully agree we need to do more but from a legislative POV, what is there? Besides eliminating deer in the threatened areas, what else does the DNR offer? Nothing. It's a plan based on not really having a plan.

Here is their 15 year outline:
dnr.wi.gov...

It's a whopping one page. In short, the DNR wants the entire state to buy into their non-plan. This totally smells like bureaucratic pre-posturing failure by blaming everyone else. To give the DNR its due, science is simply not there yet. These types of diseases (prion or whatever) are still pretty much a mystery.

I am not a Walker Fan-Boi but I cannot honestly pin the whole CWD thing on the man.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It's in Texas. It's a prion disease.

Round up didn't create it over the last 8 years.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Well, I think Rudolph will be just fine. Reindeer are domestic animals and the Caribou they came from still exist in massive herds up here and other parts of the world.

You ever seen a herd of deer that was not culled by hunters starve to death? I have and it's an ugly death. Stopping hunting is clearly not the right answer.

To stop the spread of CWD and fight this threat to the future of deer hunting, we’ve got to work to inform ourselves, our hunting partners, and even folks we don’t know.

I'd agree with that. Education of hunters would be the right move. That's on Fish and Game. Issue pamphlets with licenses. Other than that it's on mother nature.

Koch brothers and Monsanto? You're trying to turn this into a partisan issue and make propaganda out of it? Come on, this does not even belong in a political forum.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Koch brothers and Monsanto? You're trying to turn this into a partisan issue and make propaganda out of it? Come on, this does not even belong in a political forum.

It is absolutely political.

MADISON - Republicans on the Legislature's rules committee debated whether to break with Gov. Scott Walker and scrap his new emergency chronic wasting disease regulations for deer, calling the rules too expensive and cumbersome.

www.wisfarmer.com...

"What has changed in the last three months or six months or nine months that requires an emergency response? I submit to you nothing has changed in that time," Jarchow said. "Well, one thing has changed. There's an election in a month. It's a political stunt masquerading as policy."

The huge pushback when this was just starting was that the farmers did not want to put up fences because of the money involved. Tens of thousands of dollars. The farmers pressured politicians.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
double

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

More than once.

Here in the lower 48, the deer population is, as has been pointed out, incredibly over populated. I once counted over 100 white-tail in one field of about 5 acres. There hasn't been a winter kill off here in decades, but the first really hard winter is a while will see a huge kill off.

I've advocated for year round hunting, no limit, or at least more than one, take for years. I get shouted down every time.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

More than once.

Here in the lower 48, the deer population is, as has been pointed out, incredibly over populated. I once counted over 100 white-tail in one field of about 5 acres. There hasn't been a winter kill off here in decades, but the first really hard winter is a while will see a huge kill off.

I've advocated for year round hunting, no limit, or at least more than one, take for years. I get shouted down every time.

We really need that here too, the deer population is way up and hunters are down. The fees are getting to high for
most hunters.

www.wsaw.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join