It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's economy belongs to Obama......but when it goes bad, is that still the case?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Obama may have presided over one of the slowest periods of economic growth in US history, but it was also the longest period of sustained economic growth in US history. In fact many economists argue that the fact it was so slow is the reason why it was able to last for so long.

Since Trump won the presidency he has been pushing for economic policies similar to those of Reagan and Bush II. In both those cases their economic policies led to an economic downturn.

So if one President's policies showed consistent but slow growth while the other's are historically associated with recessions I know who I'm going to blame when the economy turns bad. It just makes logical sense.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

This post says alot about who you are! congrats

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Feds want to mess with trump by increasing interest rates.

I don't care if they raise interest rates if needed, but Trump deserves credit for a better economy while interest rates are 9X higher than they were during the entire Obama presidency.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Painterz
Generally speaking there's about a 1-2 year period of momentum in the economy. Decisions made by a President will kick in about two years later.

So for the first one or two years of Trump, it is basically Obama's economy. After that, we start to see the trickling in effect from the new guys policies and approaches.

That sure is convenient. I'll sure remember that when and if the leftovers ever find a candidate who isn't a slug.

What Painterz posted is economic fact. In Obama's first term the sub-prime mess that had built up under George W was still inflicting a lot of pain on the US economy. By the end of his second term it had stabled and was starting to grow. That's just factual, you can argue whichever way you want but it doesn't change the facts.
edit on 18-12-2018 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So much fail I don’t even know where to begin. a reply to: network dude

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Generally speaking there's about a 1-2 year period of momentum in the economy. Decisions made by a President will kick in about two years later.

So for the first one or two years of Trump, it is basically Obama's economy. After that, we start to see the trickling in effect from the new guys policies and approaches.

So when Obama's economy sucked for 8 years, that wasn't his fault. But the two good years under Trump are his. Hahahahaha

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So using that rationale was Obama's economy GWBush's? What about GWBush's was his Clintons this has to be the dumbest argument known to man.....there is no way you could ever know that Napoleon.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

If Obama was an idiot what do you think about Trump? With the untruthfulness and the lack a of a moral code, and his big words he must be a member of Mensa yea....weirdly you probably think he is a genius yet its a fact that he didn't even want to be president. Trump ran as a marketing gimmick to get into Russia and that went wrong, just as his cabinet has gone wrong 65% turnover rate.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If it's a good economy, trump will take credit. When the stock mkt. crashes it will be Obamas fault.

Conservatives used to take personal responsibility. I guess those days are over with constant finger pointing and

but, but, but, Obama or but, but, but, Hillary...Hollywood weirdos...lol don't watch, turn of the TV!!

quit crying, cowboy up or go sit in the truck.
edit on 18-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: UniformKilo

Whaa? He's a genius, he said so. He doesn't want to be Prezzie so he's writing his own articles of impeachment on almost a daily basis. It's that 4-D chess thingie.

heh.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Generally speaking, Presidents own the economy of their term, but the reality is that the President actually doesn't have a ton of direct control over the country's economic performance. There are simply too many factors that come into play and economic improvements / disasters can take many years before they rear their heads.

The recession under Bush was many years / decades in the making being triggered by the housing collapse. The housing market was significantly inflated after 9/11 when the Fed started significantly lowering the Fed Funds rate which in term brought down the cost of capital (interest rates) making mortgages extremely cheap. This in combination with loosening of underwriting guidelines to satisfy not only social justice engineers but banks looking for additional yield brought a ton of fraud into the housing market which ultimately crashed.

Obama's presided over the recover from the housing collapse. The Fed injected a ton of excess liquidity into the market again by significantly lowering interest rates. However, Obama's economic recovery was a bit muted mainly because his administration was not friendly to business. As such, even though capital was cheap, businesses largely stayed on the sidelines for fear of regulations and uncertainty making significant capital investment riskier.

On the other hand, Trump has taken over Obama's economy and it took off because Trump has a decidely pro-business approach. This is why initially the markets roared to life immediately after he was elected. He brought in an administration that is rolling back regulations and other things that stifle economic growth.

With all that said, I think Trump's economy will likely end in a bear market / recession because the Fed is continuing to raise interest rates which is done to slow down economic growth. In addition, Trump is trying to implement some policies which may have some short term pain, but long term benefits - tariffs, etc.

A big issue with the US economy as a whole is that we have a lost an entire segment of the economic base - manufacturing. The economy is booming for very high skilled workers, but the blue collar positions have still not really been revitalized.

The US economy is huge and unfortunately, it takes a lot of cooperation across Congress, Senate, and the Presidency to truly implement policies that will have meaningful impact.

Beyond Trump bringing some confidence back to the markets, I don't see the legislative branch working with him to really keep things going. Quite frankly, given how evil politics is nowadays, I think the left and the RINOs are pushing for things to screw up the economy so that Trump gets the blame for it.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: UniformKilo
a reply to: Bluntone22

If Obama was an idiot what do you think about Trump? With the untruthfulness and the lack a of a moral code, and his big words he must be a member of Mensa yea....weirdly you probably think he is a genius yet its a fact that he didn't even want to be president. Trump ran as a marketing gimmick to get into Russia and that went wrong, just as his cabinet has gone wrong 65% turnover rate.

Obama is an idiot.
He was completely unqualified with little experience in any practical field. It showed.

But if you must know, I think trump is an ass,but an ass with some useful experience.
Genius? Hell no
Shrewd? Meh
Effective? Definitely

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Obama may have presided over one of the slowest periods of economic growth in US history, but it was also the longest period of sustained economic growth in US history. In fact many economists argue that the fact it was so slow is the reason why it was able to last for so long.

Since Trump won the presidency he has been pushing for economic policies similar to those of Reagan and Bush II. In both those cases their economic policies led to an economic downturn.

So if one President's policies showed consistent but slow growth while the other's are historically associated with recessions I know who I'm going to blame when the economy turns bad. It just makes logical sense.

Rapid economic expansion will invariably create some big losers. It always does. Obama's economy was slow because his administration was not friendly to business. As such, business really didn't do a ton of capital investment, mainly just stock buy backs and other financial engineering in the financial markets.

Presidents set the the tone. Obama basically told businesses we are going to put our foot on your neck and they responded in kind. Trump took the boot off the neck and businesses have responded. However, he also is trying to force those companies to bring back manufacturing to the US so it remains to be seen if they capitulate.

Of course, it is really odd that the left hates Trump so much that they can't even see how he is trying to help the lower classes / blue collar workers. However, the left ignored these workers, which is why Trump won in the first place so maybe it isn't that odd.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So Odumbo gives us Obamacare, throws away billions to create a few jobs and gives billions to Iran to fix our economy ??? give us a break!

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

a reply to: Pyle

so you are admitting that Obama is at fault for the failing economy?

What?

All I am saying that you should look at policies enacted both before a president and after.

Trump and the current Congress were still running on Obama era policies until they got the tax plan and other smaller bills passed but those took time to push through and took time to go into effect.

Just like the other example i gave of the Dot.com boom and bust were Clinton era things even though the part of the boom and the bust happened under Bush.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I'm trying to understand the economy and what drives it. From what has been said here, it was Obama's good economy for Trumps first 2 years, and now it's Trump's economy, is that about correct?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I wouldn't say it was Obama's economy because, as has been pointed out, the economy can run itself fairly well. However, it would be correct to say that Obama policies had a positive efect on the economy for the first 2 years of the Trump presidency.

In the same way that Trump's policies will have an effect on the first 2 years of whoever follows him.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Honestly, the president has little to no impact on what Wall St. does or how well it does.

Tangent: we shouldn't base 'the economy' on how much money Wall St. shifts around because it's not touching 90% of the population. Wall St. gets a 500 point bump and the folks working minimum wage at McD's and WallyWorld aren't going to see an impact in their paycheck. If they're lucky enough for a retirement fund then, maybe, they can think back to those great days in the late 2010.s when the economy was 'booming' and it gave them an extra dollar per retirement check.

The 'economy' in terms of the stock market was doing really well because major corporations used their billions in GOP tax breaks for stock buybacks. They didn't invest in their employees or their workforce, they made themselves richer.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I'm trying to understand the economy and what drives it. From what has been said here, it was Obama's good economy for Trumps first 2 years, and now it's Trump's economy, is that about correct?

That is about correct due to when policies were created. It took quite a while for the Tax plans to get to Trumps desk and then time for them to actually take effect. When they did start to take effect thats when we can for sure say things changed.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Trump should blame Bush.Seemed to work out pretty well for the last guy.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join