It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There needs to be an "Abuse of power" law or rule for criminal sentencing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I just saw the video of the cop tasering the kid in the car, dragging him to the curb and dropping him on his face and saw the sentence he got, which was ridiculously low for what happened.

When people are sentenced for criminal activity which takes place by people in power, the fact that they are in power and abuse it needs to be considered heavily in their sentence, more-so than what it seems to be taken into consideration - especially when it results in physical harm and or permanent physical harm/disability. I recommend at minimum that when sentenced the entire sentence must be carried out and early parole is not an option. I also think that the sentences should be longer (1.5-2x longer) for those who do permanent damage to someone.

I know police go through a lot but there needs to be more of a deterrent for them acting illegally and they need to be help personally responsible more (maybe financially as well) instead of being able to hide behind department insurance policies or just having the department being sued/paying settlements.

This also goes for people in political office, if they bully people or anything that abuses their position of authority. IDK how much this would extend into the private sector but I guess there are some circumstances where people in private industry can abuse their position of power, but I think it is drastically needed in law enforcement (local, state, federal) & government b/c people don't have a choice but to interact with them, they can't hire the police THEY want to patrol the streets and they often don't pick the people in office (meaning they didn't vote for them, or didn't vote at all).
edit on 12 17 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

there needs to be an " abuse of ATS " law - or rule for thread creation

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

"Under Color of Law" is a thing, if I recall correctly.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

The military does it already.
Would your law include presidents sleeping with interns?

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Oops, my goof. I went into this thinking "politicians". Never mind.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I agree with you.

In my town, we have 3 police departments. One works and the other 2 are retired. The police officer across the street retired at 40. He sits on his driveway sunning himself every day. Where as I go to work everyday so I can pay my exorbitant local taxes so he can live the life of Riley.

I agree with your comment. If a policemen abuses his power and breaks the law the punishment should be doubled. I have no sympathy for the police in my town. Crime is not that bad and the prance around like Prima Donna bad asses. In my town minor traffic violations are the most common crime. But from the way our police behave you would think we were under martial rule.

For years now citizens take a back seat to people in authority. Power for the sake of power is immoral and painful.

new topics

top topics

join