It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOBODY Understands How ObamaCare Functions. Not The CBO or HHS or Congress or Doctors or Judges.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Sunday, December 16, 2018

After a Federal Judge ruled the Affordable Care Act (aka ObamaCare) as Un-Constitutional and Illegal this past Friday, I started thinking about the many conflicting news articles, Government reports, and statements from people in the healthcare, and insurance industry, since 2009.

The bottom line, is that not a single agency, company, or person, understands how the 12,000 pages of rules and laws interact, and affect the U.S. economy.

For example, take this November 2017 report from the source that our Government uses to gauge the cost and effect, of its programs and planned initiatives. The CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE (CBO).

Getting rid of the requirement that everyone in the country have health insurance coverage would save the government $338 billion over the next decade, according to a Congressional Budget Office analysis released Wednesday.

But that savings would come with 13 million fewer people having insurance coverage by 2027, CBO analysts say. Some of those people would not want to buy insurance, but others couldn't afford it. The CBO also predicts that average premiums would be 10 percent higher in most years than they would be under current law.

House Republicans are toying with the idea of repealing the so-called individual mandate — a key part of the Affordable Care Act — as part of their plan to overhaul the tax code.
Source: www.npr.org...

The Individual Mandate (Penalty-Tax for not having health insurance) was indeed struck down by Republicans. It goes away in two weeks, on 12/31/2018.

But there will not be 13 million fewer Americans without health insurance by 2027 as this elite government office predicts. Anyone want to guess why?

I'll comment on other aspects of how mysterious, crazy, and costly ObamaCare is, later in the thread.

-CareWeMust

edit on 12/16/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

But there will not be 13 million fewer Americans without health insurance by 2027 as this elite government office predicts. Anyone want to guess why?

Trick question? Is it because single payer is inevitable?

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Obamacare was designed to fail. It was meant to be a step toward single-payer, aka "socialized medicine"...

The Dems all knew this... "You can read it, after it's passed"...

I'm a bit surprised that it has lasted as long as it has...

The quickest way to destroy any industry, is to let the government run it...

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

The fall of the medical insurance industry would be a bad thing?
edit on 12/16/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Trick question? Is it because single payer is inevitable?

Because there are only 10 million buying subsidized (govt helping pay premium) ObamaCare coverage today. Can't lose 13 million.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Can't lose 13 million.

But the CBO didn't say 13 million fewer subsidized subscribers. Did it?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Ever notice that the CBO never takes into account how many people lost their health insurance as a result of the premiums?

Or just got the bronze plan, which gives you a deductible and co-pay that you cannot possibly afford, but the plan cost just a little less than the tax penalty?

The people who are actually poor in this country already had Medicaid.

The seniors already had Medicare.

This was just a takeover of 1/6th of the American economy, for political gain.

(Cue Creepy Old Biden... this is a big f%$#@ing deal!)

Not to mention that the plan, as written, was designed to fail.

Another fail is that no Republicans voted for it (passed with a Democrat super-majority) but now that it failed it is all the Republican's fault because the Democrats supposedly used a Republican-based plan from the Heritage foundation as the basis for it.

All I know is that it was, according to the main author of it (Gruber) it was written so the stupid people that is the Democratic base couldn't understand it.

Didn't have the will of the people behind it (73% of America opposed) but passed anyways.

The thing that REALLY bothers me is that, with Democratic super-majorities in both houses and Obama as President, they could have fixed ANYTHING.

Amnesty? Done.

Taxation? Fixed.

Legalize weed? Boom.

Abortion for 10 year olds without a parent's consent or knowledge? Handled.

Every Democratic wet dream they could have ever wanted passed they could have done.

They chose not to.

Why don't their base look back and ask... why?

I know the answer... because politicians need things to run on.

They NEVER need things to get fixed... otherwise, what would they run on?

The ACA was a cruel joke meant to move to a single payer system, nothing less.

Which they could have DONE.

They had the votes.

Sorry.... rant over and thank you for the thread.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The fall of the medical insurance industry would be a bad thing?

No... it would be perfect!

Lots of people out of work in the insurance industry, the medical professionals leaving in droves because of forced pay levels, nobody wanting to get into the industry anymore, forced rationing of health care resulting in death panels and an eventual economic collapse because you got rid of 1/6th of the nation's economy.

A wet dream for Progressives, sure enough!

Can we also on there put auto insurance out of business and let the government take care of that?

Same with home-owner's insurance, ADD insurance, rental insurance...

Then get rid of those pesky laws that allow you to sue someone for any of the above... since you wouldn't be able to sue your Government.

This would be awesome!!!

/facepalm

edit on 16-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

If you want to see how government-run healthcare looks in America. . . . look no further!

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

The IRS implemented ObamaCare taxes, almost 3 years before people were able to enroll in the program...hoping to build up a little cushion/nest-egg. That money was exhausted during the first year of ObamaCare availability...which was 2013.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Can't lose 13 million.

But the CBO didn't say 13 million fewer subsidized subscribers. Did it?

Thirteen million fewer people on ObamaCare, says the CBO. Even when adding in free ObamaCare Medicaid, only 20 million total have ObamaCare health coverage.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Actually, Obamacare requires all health insurance companies to charge a premium on every policy they sell to stick towards some of Obamacares cost. So employers are paying an extra cost on their workers supplied insurances to pay for the obamacare recipients insurance. That is why many employers quit supplying insurances to their employees, it was cheaper to give some extra cash to employees and they could get their own obamacare. Trouble is the policies Obamacare offers suck compared to many of the insurances that employers used to provide to their employees.

I learned that from a busnessman I know who had to change his free insurance practice to his employees because he would be paying so much more. The employees got a three dollar an hour raise, which made it appear the economy was doing better but it was all a magicians veil over what was really happening. Obamacare is a deceitful scam created by the medical industry utilizing their puppet in the Whitehouse. I thought it was a positive thing and I was mistaken because all of the things they did not tell us about it actually worked against the best interests of society and increased the income of the medical industries. Many people who had no possible way of being cured wound up going back to the doctors to get tortured again before they finally died, quality of life in the end was very poor.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I learned that from a busnessman I know who had to change his free insurance practice to his employees because he would be paying so much more

Interesting. It was my experience that while premiums for older employees increased somewhat, those for younger employees decreased. My employer's total premiums went down, and there was no change in coverage or deductibles.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

In Illinois, everyone on ObamaCare who earns more than $25,000 has a $7,900 maximum out-of-pocket. Bronze/Silver/Gold are all the same in that regard. It's terrible.

Also, poorer people couldn't get Medicaid unless they had children. Now, every citizen (in Medicaid expanded states) who earns less than $17,000 gets free Medicaid. The Fed reimbursement rate started at 100% to the states. It drops to 90% in 2019. That 10% of Medicaid cost is projected to hurt most Medicaid-expanded states big-time.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If you want to see how government-run healthcare looks in America. . . . look no further!

The government runs/administers the Medicare program very well. Extremely high satisfaction amongst those on Medicare, if they have a supplement to pay for the things that Medicare does NOT pay for.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I learned that from a busnessman I know who had to change his free insurance practice to his employees because he would be paying so much more

Interesting. It was my experience that while premiums for older employees increased somewhat, those for younger employees decreased. My employer's total premiums went down, and there was no change in coverage or deductibles.

The particular case I mentioned was BCBS and the effect did not take effect for about one year from what I mentioned. That is what the employer had told me about it, it was set up to hide the increase from voters I think. Ask your employer or his employee who oversees the insurance costs. I also heard about the increase in the wife's health insurance about that time which caused a raise in deductible and a reduced benefit package to keep the premium about the same. We saw the premiums of the insurance go up a grand in one year before going back down with the changes, even though insurance was free, there were no raises that year at all.

Ask someone at work, I am sure you will get some information from someone who worked through that if they actually asked the insurance company why the increase happened.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Well said, RickyMouse. The insurance agency where I work has several companies who made the same transition. They paid their employees more $$, and send them to get their own health insurance on the ObamaCare Exchange this Fall.

The problem will come when the employees have to pay more in taxes next year. The employers often do not take that into account when granting them the pay-raise to buy their own health insurance.

At one company, the employees didn't keep their health insurance the entire year. The pay-raise was used for other things in their life.

If ObamaCare is truly repealed one day, employers won't have to play the $$$ shell-game, just so employees can buy their own health insurance. The company can (once again) pay the premiums directly, as was allowed before ObamaCare.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The problem will come when the employees have to pay more in taxes next year.

No tax cut?

At one company, the employees didn't keep their health insurance the entire year. The pay-raise was used for other things in their life.
My state has required that employers provide health insurance since 1974.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

The problem will come when the employees have to pay more in taxes next year.

No tax cut?

My state has required that employers provide health insurance since 1974.

Wow, I didn't realize that they did that there, that is the way it should have been. People who have to pay their own partial premium often feel they have to use the insurance to get their money's worth. So they go to the doctor when they sniffle and wind up on antidepressants because they seem a little stressed out or nuts.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Employers are required to pay the employee's premium (or so much of it that they may as well). They are not required to cover the cost of dependents (those dependents do get the same group rate) but various employers have various policies concerning that. Some pay the whole thing (premiums top out at the "family" level of three people), some pay part of it. As with 401k plans, it's considered a non-taxable fringe.

There are also required levels of coverage (including no pre-existing conditions exclusions).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join