It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SSDs....shut down the computer daily or use sleep

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I recently took the plunge and got a new Dell Optiplex desktop, with an SSD.
Windows 10 even

First, Windows 10 really isn't so bad, and it really is pretty easy to get used to....especially with Win10 Pro 64-bit.
I can postpone updates until it is convenient, and avoid first day bugs, etc.

My question:
I have always let my computer stay on for days at a time.
I mean, I use it daily, why not? Especially since it takes so long to logon and logoff.
SSD is so speedy with logon and logoff, does it really need to stay on all the time, and sleep when not in use??

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

You can leave it on or turn it off, it doesn't really make any difference. My own computer is on 24/7, it never gets turned off unless I need to restart it for some reason or I'm going to be away for an extended period of time.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Have been on Windows 10 since... 2015?

I update my desktop computer every 3 years... so my next update is coming up.

This desktop has been on for... 2 years? or so.

Occasionally it reboots for an update.

I do have a nice video card for it to play a video game I like (Guild Wars 2.)

The monitors I have sleep after 30 minutes... the computer has always been on.

No troubles for me at all, with the exception of a software update from MS once that I had to uninstall.

Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I never shut mine off unless I'm going away for an extended vacation

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I disable sleep and hibernation, then leave the computer on 24/7.
Windows 10 is very solid, but the hiberfil file can get very big if hibernation is used and sometimes the associated fast start up causes an issue. Don't use it.
All my files are saved to a non system drive and the cloud.
I keep a file of all my software and keys.
Every few months I will completely reinstall Windows - not because it needs it, just because I like to start fresh and when reinstalling software, I'll not bother with things I ended up not using.
I've used Macs and Linux machines and always come back to Windows.

edit on 16/12/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have a cheap 64gb SSD as my main drive for the OS, and it's been on pretty much 24/7 for nearly 4 years or so? 3 perhaps.. No issues with it, even if they do have a limited read/write life.

Recently upgraded everything, so am going to invest in an M2 drive, and it will be treated the same... except it won't be at near capacity thus slowing it down.

But yeah, I concur with everyone else, no problems with it on 24/7.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Turning them off everyday wears them out quicker, and does some other unhelpful things I read about once that I can't remember now.

I cut mine off about once a month, just to 'put things back" or something, and during lightening storms.
I have a desktop too.

I just walk away from it when I'm finished, and it tucks itself in for the night.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

This is totally up to you and how frugal you want to be with your power consumption.

You can leave the computer on 24/7 and just set your monitor to turn off after 10 mins of non use and you'll be just fine.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I run ccleaner every night before shutting the computer down. It helps a lot. It also automatically runs when I turn it on. I do a lot of research and if I want to have a scattered path to do my research I have to clear the history or it tends to steer me to my last kind of research. Doing that clears firefox history and steering too. I also have it clear the microsoft memory, but that does not totally work right unless cortana is off. I shut that off, I do not want a computer trying to tell me what I should look at, it distracts me from array searchs looking at everything to do with a subject. I do a lot of pharmaceutical research and if I do, I have to clear the memory or it always steers me only to what Pharma wants me to see and not ways to find alternative ways to find the chemistry in natural things.

Ccleaner is free and I do think that the company allows some special spyware to exist but I don't mind a little tracking being done to keep it free.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ahhh , the age old paradox
To shut down , or not to shut down
This battle was furiously waged from the early 80s until the 21st century with the outcome a complete and total draw.
And now , you want to reignite the firestorm

Shutting a PC down does no harm to the components whatsoever. And will extend the life.(unless one shuts it down and immediately turns it back on , causing a temp spike)

To leave one on can (theoretically) shorten the span of life . Hibernation lessens it . (although this shortening of lifespan is very minimal anywhoo)
The key term is MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure(s) ). This is operational time including "sleep" as in sleep mode the power is still flowing through the System Board .

The only computer one should leave on is a server for obvious reasons.
Hope this helps
(Highly trained professional and I shut mine down)

edit on 12/16/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/16/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Play any WvW in GW2?

This is pretty much just personal preference. Its not going to impact the life of things in any meaningful way, unless you are dealing with high temps or something like that.

The only universal thing is going to be making sure you have backups of everything important! Everyone "knows" this, but many don't actually do it.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: Lumenari

Play any WvW in GW2?

Dragonbrand here...

edit on 16-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Yes, I do!!!

The last time I saw this discussed was before SSDs.
So, I figured it was time to revisit the old argument!
LOL

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

For some strange reason, when I see SSDs I think of STDs. It kind of blows my concentration a little.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

LOL
Funny what the brain sees

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: Gothmog

Yes, I do!!!

The last time I saw this discussed was before SSDs.
So, I figured it was time to revisit the old argument!
LOL

The last time I discussed this was 1987

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Y would I turn her OFF?!

She's ALIVE!

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The main thing is the power bill and you can get meters to tell you how much its pulling.

Also keep the machine clean as dust buildup will make the system run warmer and can impact on performance and longevity.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   
SSD ?
NVME m.2 (not the fake ones that are in a case) and Windows 10 Fast Start (doesn't work on a reboot) - Sneeze and you have missed Windows 10 boot from a cold power on
Peace be with you

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

edit on 17-12-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join