It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis of Brexit

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Commission is 33% female so in line with both UK.& EU parliaments.

Generally affluent certainly, but then when was the last british PM who wasn't at least middle class?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: SprocketUK

a reply to: ScepticScot

Well, I showed you, you saw it.
If you can't bring yourself to admit the truth of the reality. It's your business.

If you want to pretend to yourself that the eu is democratic because you get to vote for an mep every few years, I guess you have to do whatever gets you to sleep at night.

I do pity you for it though. Even when your wilful ignorance riles me.
No one should be ruled like a peasant in the West, in the 21st century. Even if they think it's ok.
Stockholm syndrome I guess.

You claimed the EU parliament was only advisory.

It isn't.

You were unequivocally wrong but can't even admit it.

Quite sad really.

It either has full legislative powers or its advisory.
It does not posess full legislative powers though, ergo it's role is advisory.

The Council and commission are no more democratic than the house of Lords. Yet they hold the real power in the EU.

It's a risible situation.

Really how many members of commission are there because of who their great great granny shagged or what church they belong to+

Most parliaments don't hold full legislative powers, Your argument is nonsense.

How many are there because they were elected by the people?

NONE

Get a grip, lad.

And wow, you are moving those goalposts.
So we have to compare the EU to ever more undemocratic forms of government to make it look good now, do we?

Look at the UK, even though we have a monarch and an unelected chamber still, the real power to make law lies in the elected chamber, as it should.

But you want some sort of banana Republic form of government divorced from the people?

At least be honest and stop pretending you are defending a democracy.

All major positions in the EU are either elected or a appointed by elected officials. Something you can't say about the UK.

Maybe you mean other banana republics like the US where most senior government positions are either appointed by the President or nominated by him.

All of which is still totally irrelevant to you categorically incorrect claim that the EU parliament is only advisory.

As I have said the EU has many real faults which could and should be discussed. You making up ones just distracts from that.

Can't help yout any more mate.
You are like an addict in denial.

You could always go and live in the eu after we leave if democracy is too frightening.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Dishonest again.
www.europarl.europa.eu...

The European Parliament shares legislative power equally with the Council of the European Union. This means it is empowered to adopt European laws (directives, regulations etc,). It can accept, amend or reject the content of European legislation.

The European Parliament is made up of MEPs that we vote every four years. There are some cases where the Council has legislative power and Parliament cannot ammend proposals, however, they have the power to accept it or reject it (like tax).

The Councils is made up of all heads of State, including the UK. So they are also elected.

LINK 1

LINK 2

Finally we have the Commission which is made up of 1 representative from each country. The UK representative is Julian King who was appointed by the then PM David Cameron.

Could you please explain why you keep on saying they are unelected bureaucrats? We vote for the MEPs in parliament. We vote for the Council members. And the Commissioner is appointed by your elected PM (but Commissioners do not have any decision making power, they are like the British civil servants, must be politically impartial and independent).

Regarding your tax comment: yes, EU members have to follow the EU tax regime which suggests a 15% rate. The UK chooses to impose a much higher rate of 20%. Has the UK ever asked the EU to lower the Vat rate? I don't think so, as it is higher than proposed. Has the UK ever proposed to stop the EU tax legislation? Do you understand why the EU tax rule was created?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

Dishonest again.

There are some cases where the Council has legislative power and Parliament cannot ammend proposals

Could have saved effort and just written that tbf.

You also failed to consider the trilogue thing where laws are made in secret without even the toothless parliament getting a read.
edit on 42pWed, 19 Dec 2018 14:08:42 -060020182018-12-19T14:08:42-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha
I see you are from Scotland as well as the other auld whinge bags. I voted leave and I'll take WTO rules if it comes to it.
I understood that as a potential outcome when I voted.
edit on 19-12-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: Added 'as the other auld whinge bags' lol

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

You also failed to consider the trilogue thing where laws are made in secret without even the toothless parliament getting a read.

Ok, post some laws that were made in secret or evidence for your statement.

And don't forget to reply to my other questions regarding tax and the EU being unelected

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I see you are from Scotland as well as the other auld whinge bags. I voted leave and I'll take WTO rules if it comes to it.
I understood that as a potential outcome when I voted.

LOL I'm not Scottish, I chose to live here and I love it, Scottish people are so welcoming, warm, they never looked down on foreigners, they accept people as they are... as a nurse I was able to work and live in many countries and no other compares to Scotland so far, so much I actually never want to leave this place.

Regarding your comment about WTO: no country in the world deals on WTO rules only. Ever wondered why?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Meh, there will be some deal in my opinion, we will still trade with the world.
I'm not fazed to be fair, tourists will still come here every summer. The weak £ Pound gave us a bumper season this year, loads of German and French tourists. They all told me it was because Britain was cheaper to visit. There are always winners and losers, and we have been winning here since the Brexit vote to leave.
...is there something in Scottish water that makes so many folk want to stay in the EU?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

edri.org...

There you go, now I can await your reply stating it's the bestest most democratic thing , like ever.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
Lol

...the EU parliament has supremacy remember lol

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

a reply to: SprocketUK
Lol

...the EU parliament has supremacy remember lol

And everyone gathers round reading Rousseau and Paine to remind themselves of their sworn duty to the people.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

Dishonest again.

There are some cases where the Council has legislative power and Parliament cannot ammend proposals

Wrong again. Agreements in Trilogues still need approved by ordinary EU procedures.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Give it up mate, the EU Parliament is advisory.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

There you go, now I can await your reply stating it's the bestest most democratic thing , like ever.

Wrong, and Sceptic Scot corrected you already: all agreements reached in trilogues still need to by approved by all three institutions, the parliament, commission and council and it's always been this way: -- LINK --

Also, the public was always able to request documents used or drafted in trilogues, with the exception of one column which relates to the council (heads of states, your PM). However, things have changed in 2018: the European Court of Justice has formally decided that Parliament cannot longer deny the public access to any documents used: -- LINK 2 --

I am still waiting for you to answer my questions from yesterday, I will copy/paste here: EU members have to follow the EU tax regime which suggests a 15% rate. The UK chooses to impose a much higher rate of 20%. Has the UK ever asked the EU to lower the Vat rate? I don't think so, as it is higher than proposed. Has the UK ever proposed to stop the EU tax legislation? Do you understand why the EU tax rule was created?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Give it up mate, the EU Parliament is advisory.

Ehmmm no It isn't.

This isn't a matter of opinion, this is actual fact that it isn't.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It is advisory. The EU doesn't have to do anything the MEP's vote for.
Stop deluding yourself.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

It is advisory. The EU doesn't have to do anything the MEP's vote for.
Stop deluding yourself.

Since what I say can be (and has been) backed up by multiple sources I think its clear who is deluding themselves.

As I have said before there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the EU. Actually just making up stuff however just devalues your argument.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Unlucky mate, just deluding yourself lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Unlucky mate, just deluding yourself lol.

Ok. You believe what you want and I will just go with those pesky facts.

Not really interested in another round of Cornish says the same thing over and over again today.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
That's cool, I don't care anyway, we're arguing about something you lost anyway, the referendum lol, you may love the EU Parliament but it is irrelevant because we are leaving the EU in January...TICK TOCK TICK TOCK

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

That's cool, I don't care anyway, we're arguing about something you lost anyway, the referendum lol, you may love the EU Parliament but it is irrelevant because we are leaving the EU in January...TICK TOCK TICK TOCK

Actually we were arguing about mechanics of how the EU works, and you and sprocket were wrong.

Probably why you voted the wrong way....

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join