It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else have diverse musical tastes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Was listening to my spotify "favorites" playlist at work today...Went from Sinatra to Heilung, Bauhaus to Ramones, Willie Nelson to 5 Finger Death Punch, Talking heads to Jim Croce to Motown to Funk. I love the change of atmosphere, the diversity, the way that a well written song is a well written song.

Anybody else have diverse playlists/tastes? Just wondering how weird I am for enjoying almost every type of music.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
Was listening to my spotify "favorites" playlist at work today...Went from Sinatra to Heilung, Bauhaus to Ramones, Willie Nelson to 5 Finger Death Punch, Talking heads to Jim Croce to Motown to Funk. I love the change of atmosphere, the diversity, the way that a well written song is a well written song.

Anybody else have diverse playlists/tastes? Just wondering how weird I am for enjoying almost every type of music.

I would say most adults with a refined taste have diverse musical interests. It is usually teenagers or children that seem to stick to a specific genre of music, either through ignorance of what else is out there, or through using music as a form of identity.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Nope.

You're the only person on the planet who likes more than one type of music.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Nope.

You're the only person on the planet who likes more than one type of music.

Whew! Thanks.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: supermarket2012

I would say most adults with a refined taste have diverse musical interests. It is usually teenagers or children that seem to stick to a specific genre of music, either through ignorance of what else is out there, or through using music as a form of identity.

I run into a ton of adults that won't listen to 2/3 of the stuff I love. They mellowed out and stick with a particular genre or two.

I was asking because my coworker was acting like my playlist was psycho.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My hearing has gone bad over the years and I can not hear a single word of lyrics under the voluminous blare of the instruments any more. All of today's music has become just monotonous racket now so I just quit listening...

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Drum & bass to Vangelis to sounds of caves.
Only thing i noticed is i tend to like music without words more.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
No...in fact...there's only one musical note I enjoy the sound of. B#

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Its like people that only eat one kind of cheese or drink one kind of wine...

Perhaps they are affraid to enjoy life perhaps affraid to be disapointed.

I taste, smell and listen to everything

be a rainbow

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I like to think I listen to “everything except that normie $hit” haha

We all think our music is the best music.
I really do try to be open as possible.

If it doesn’t feel cookie cutter or just straight up commercial, I’ll probably give it a chance.

Creativity is king and I have no time for music that just rehashes an old sound (Greta van fleet??), although I do respect the tenacity one must have to get anywhere in music.

Lately im pretty big Prog Snob (shout out to my Facebook community )... But I love me a little bit of everything.

Here’s yesterday’s discovery... for fans of Pink Floyd, early Steven Wilson, Storm Corrosion, etc...

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I love a wide range of music. What's good is good, whatever the genre. I think more people do than don't actually.
Today for instance, is no lyrics for the afternoon...

Yes, those are all Japanese girls, and yes, they're really playing those instruments.

A classic!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Not even remotely diverse here.

I only listen to music I enjoy. So, only one type of music for me..

Regardless, I have always found it entertaining that the most common response to "what type of music do you like" is "oh, I like everything except 'X'." So very, very untrue for most, though I suppose we all listen to everything we listen to.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Charles, there is SO much good instrumental music out there... in all genres.

Check out...badbadnotgood, Plini, animals as leaders, mouse on the keys, covet , weedpecker, tauk, khruangbin, Alex Skolnik trio... if you like the beetles check out Soullives album “Rubber Soullive” groovy jazz covers of Beatles songs...

This list covers pretty much all genres I do hope you check a few out.

a reply to: CharlesT

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I listen exclusively to Beethoven. He was deaf.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

My music playlist leans pretty heavily towards the 90s alternative rock.
But I do have the coasters from the 60s.
Ac/DC
Tegan and Sara

My wifes playlist is all over the place.
Christian,
Rock,
Metal,

No country!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm very musical and have a very diverse taste of music.
From Francisco Tarrego to Slayer to John Lee Hooker.

I really hate when people ask what kind of music I play or like.
Do Chinese people call it Chinese food,or do they just call it food??
Its ALL just music.

The only music I don't give the time of day to, is anything with electronic drums....no hip hop,rap,house and all those others where they don't or can't play musical instruments.

Beastie Boys get a free pass.

edit on 15-12-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I listen to a huge range of music too, although I have a preference for Nordic folk music.
My Foobar library currently consists of the following genres:
Ambient
Black Metal
Classical
Country
Death Metal
Dubstep
Electronic
Elektro
Folk
Folk Metal
Goth
Horrorbilly
House
Industrial
Jazz
Kids (mostly Kidz Bop)
Martial Industrial
Metal
Neofolk
Other (stuff I have no idea how to categorize)
Pop
Punk
Religion
Rock
Techno
Trance
+1 more

I actually made a note to myself before I saw this thread to accumulate some swing/electro-swing for my collection.
edit on 12/15/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Ew. C flat for me, please.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Why ya gotta be such a downer? A B sharp sounds way better than a C flat.

edit on 15/12/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm all over the place myself... but think I got the diversity rom my Dad. We grew up listening to a jukebox he had bought full of late 60's early 70's tunes. Playing pool in our basement listening to The Letter, Indiana Wants Me, Green Eyed Lady, The Spirit in the Sky then he had his country Johhny Cash, Jerry Reed, Mac Davis, Hank of course Elvis,Tom Jones LOL most of the Bond soundtracks, then collections like Shutdown car tunes to Forty Funky Hits, to Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream and Other delights LOL. All the while all over the Motown stuff, Stevie etc.Bill Withers LOL even Anne Murray and Helen Reddy LOL Angie Baby to Tommy James and the Shondell's Dragging The Line. So with that introduction my taste have went to include everything from Chuck Berry to Pretty Lights and the Black Keys. From one hit wonders to the entire catalogs of Zeppelin and Floyd, Bowie, the Beatles AC/DC Judas Priest Van Halen Scorpions Black Sabbath Deep Purple etc. The Clash and on and on and on

top topics

<<   2 >>

join