It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All I want for Christmas is....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Still got my teeth, so I’m good there.

There are a hundred things I’d love to have in my life and half as many that I actually need. But I’m a simple man who enjoys the look on a persons face when they are happy. If I could have one gift that would put smiles on the faces of many, it would be.....

No internet for an entire year for the whole world! I know, ludicrous right? Hear me out. There would be caveats, of course. Like There would be a version of it for healthcare, transportation, emergency and educational purposes. But only for those purposes; not for leisure like activities. No Facebook, no Reddit, no ATS (sorry bout that).

At first there might be some societal chaos. Not an ideal result. But, I think after 3-4 months of people relying on only themselves to obtain information, collect and store data at their own behest, go a few weeks without trying to compete with fake celebrities or brag about their newest gadget or toy on social media....I think would be a great cleansing for modern society.

Self confidence might grow once people can see they can navigate the world on their own and without GPS, Yelp reviews, or social recommendations. We would stop looking up at false icons and stop looking down at those around us; because we would see that all we really have in this life is each other.

Could you imagine 10 million teenage kids without a phone to look into? Parents would actually have to...get this...be parents!

We wouldn’t be as easily fooled with fake news. Obviously it can be typed just as easily as spoken but when people have to read it for themselves or base their decision off of their own life experiences it changes the way we cast our communal votes of government representation.

I wouldn’t want us to “go back to the way things used to be”. Instead, I’d want for a societal cleansing and a shift in our collective perspective and understanding of ourselves.

Won’t happen, but I’ll bet I’ve got some new tools under the tree! So that’s always a super fantastic consolation prize!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

So, you want me to go back about 20 years? I can do that, easy. Us oldsters easily remember those times. Not that long ago. And, truthfully, do not miss it at all.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

All I want for Christmas is an

E

M

P

An

E

M

P

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

You know, I slowly prepare myself for a situation like the Carrington Event. You never know.

I think what you propose would cause worldwide madness between young people. Old people and rednecks would survive smoothly.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

So, you want me to go back about 20 years? I can do that, easy. Us oldsters easily remember those times. Not that long ago. And, truthfully, do not miss it at all.

Ohh don’t you worry, we can get you access to VHS tapes of murder she wrote and jeopardy to keep you occupied.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

All I want for Christmas is an

E

M

P

An

E

M

P

HAHAHA!! Gold!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

You know, I slowly prepare myself for a situation like the Carrington Event. You never know.

I think what you propose would cause worldwide madness between young people. Old people and rednecks would survive smoothly.

Little s#!+s need an awakening anyway.

The strong shall stand while the weak fall by the wayside.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Gee wilikers. Thanks, young'un. Those are my favs!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
let's see, what do I want for Christmas? Hmmm. Can't think of anything, a side effect of having everything a person needs. I still have my two front teeth, they are in the cupboard with the rest of them.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
.....a mistress

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I don't really miss the old times so much. I like the convenience of shopping online, and instant access to a bunch of stuff, as well as a forum for my phone-tography.

What I want for Christmas is for spam calls, spam emails, and junk mail to just stop. Stop. I didn't respond to it before. I won't respond to it at all. So just STOP.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Everybody's different, but I could go for that. I went between two and three years without using the internet for a damn thing. That was maybe 2013 through 2015 ish. The internet, in my opinion, wasn't good for my development and probably lots of other young people, and is perhaps largely not good for society.

Perhaps the world would be better off without it, but it does come with a benefit. My whole life I've been sort of an outcast, even pre-internet. Never got along very well in school, job, club, etc. ATS and e-mail are pretty much the only reason I use the internet. I have to admit that I've taken a true liking to ATS and some of its members. Without it, I'd be lonelier.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well my 6 year old son would not be happy, but then he would just started doing the other thing he loves to do, which is taking a hot glue gun and gluing random things together he finds around the house.

I think it would end up being alright though because people rarely even call or text each other anymore. I only get a text message maybe once a week.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I don't subscribe to the belief that technology and internet has ruined us though. We have a ton of information in the palm of our hand. I use it to learn about things all the time. If we weren't reading online then we would be reading a book. If kids didn't play games on the computer they would play board games. I don't see the difference. I can't imagine someone saying "Oh little Timmy, his eyes glued to those board games and toy trucks."

So that's my take on it.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I would like for it to snow enough to take the kids on a good sledding adventure.

Really though just for my children to be happy is good enough for me.

top topics

join