It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

J&J shares nosedive on report it knew of asbestos in Baby Powder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The 10% drop so far has claimed a 40 billion dollar drop in market capitol. Yet the sales of Talc powder only accounts for around 1/2 of one percent of J&J sales...

I find it hard to believe after three different labs in 1972 to 1975 reported that they had found asbestos in Johnson &Johnson talc all of this was not remedied shortly there after . Of course the company claims nothing to see, fake news etc etc.

It is troubling that a great and trusted company has now had a very dark blanket cast over its' best selling baby products.

(Reuters) - Shares of Johnson & Johnson fell 10 percent on Friday and were on track to post their biggest percentage drop in more than 16 years, after Reuters reported that the pharma major knew for decades that cancer-causing asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder.

newsletter.thaivisa.com...

The company has been battling more than 10,000 cases claiming its Baby Powder and Shower to Shower products cause ovarian cancer. The products have also been linked with mesothelioma, a rare and deadly form of cancer that affects the delicate tissue that lines body cavities.

Many of us at ATS have used everything from J&J baby shampoo to talc powder over the years with no dreadful results... However I am seriously considering using other products in the future.. Sorry .

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm not surprised at all. Evil, pure evil.

I belong to another all women's group. This topic came up and many talked about how many of their female relatives died of ovarian cancer and how many used talcum powder every day.

For those that don't know, it used to be a customary thing to sprinkle powder in your undergarments. That's why grandma's always have the "powdery" smell.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The cancer thing makes more sense now.
When I heard that talc was being blamed for cancer it raised an eyebrow.
But asbestos is kinda nasty.

I wonder if this is naturally occurring?
Hard to believe it's just contamination.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Asbestos in Talc has been widely publicized for many years, naming this company.
I still use talc but not baby powder

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It’s found in other powdered applications like eye shadow, makeup etc

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There are various forms of asbestos. Not all of them are related to lung damage.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The class action suits that will follow this... will make a few lawyers very rich.

The victims will end up with a check for one dollar... and nine cents...

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Jj has so many products especially marketed towards babies... I want to know what else have they been hiding in all their products.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think there may be more issues with Johnson & Johnson than we may be aware of at present. Sometimes when you shine a light in one place other problems reveal themselves in other areas.

Nestle comes to mind. If anyone is an evil company it's Nestle.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I was wondering how the Talc could cause cancer in those people. This kind of makes sense now. I still do not know how asbestos actually causes cancer, I am talking about the method of action the asbestos does this. I know how arsenic does, but asbestos is not like arsenic in the way it causes cancer. I tried to find how it does but only found the association evidence. It must be somewhere how it actually does it. long term asbestos exposure does cause more rapid growth to repair in the lungs, but that does not mean it is directly causing cancer or mutations. Maybe it is sort of an adjuvant action

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Any corporation that promotes itself as honest to goodness is more than likely full of it, corps are in the business of making money which is far more important to investors than the plebs health that consume the products, it's old news that talcon powder is a carcinogen.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouseThis link may make the most sense Rickymouse www.sciencedaily.com...
Where I live asbestos was used everywhere in shipbuilding schools hospitals the chemical industry and the clothing industry, so we have the highest incidence of asbestos based cancer in the UK
The answer appears in a study published in the current issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, U.S.A., Drs. Haining Yang and Michele Carbone at the University of Hawai'i Cancer Research Center led a research team that included collaborators at New York University, University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, San Raffaele University of Milano, and the Imperial College in London.
These researchers addressed the paradox of how asbestos fibers that kill cells could cause cancer, since a dead cell should not be able to grow and form a tumor. They found that when asbestos kills cells, it does so by inducing a process called "programmed cell necrosis" that leads to the release of a molecule called high-mobility group box 1 protein (HMGB1). HMGB1 starts a particular type of inflammatory reaction that causes the release of mutagens and factors that promote tumor growth. The researchers found that patients exposed to asbestos have elevated levels of HMGB1 in their serum. Therefore, they state that it may be possible to target HMGB1 to prevent or treat mesothelioma and identify asbestos-exposed cohorts by simple HMGB1 serological testing.
In the article, the researchers propose that by interfering with the inflammatory reaction caused by asbestos and HMGB1, it may be possible to decrease cancer incidence among cohorts exposed to asbestos and decrease the rate of tumor growth among those already affected by mesothelioma. Drs. Yang and Carbone, the lead authors, state that to test this hypothesis, they are now planning a clinical trial in a remote area in Cappadocia, Turkey, where over 50% of the population dies of malignant mesothelioma. If the results are positive, the approach will be extended to cohorts of asbestos-exposed individuals in the U.S.
This research emphasizes the role of inflammation in causing different types of cancers and provides novel clinical tools to identify exposed individuals and prevent or decrease tumor growth. The researchers question if it will be possible to prevent mesothelioma, like colon cancer, simply by taking aspirin or similar drugs that stop inflammation. They are about to test this hypothesis.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Yeah, have you ever read about Nestle's products? They're just as bad as Coca Cola, J&J, Kraft, General Mills and the other ilk of multinationals as far as business practice and much they really care about what's in their products or how their business affects the communities they base operations in.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I think there may be more issues with Johnson & Johnson than we may be aware of at present. Sometimes when you shine a light in one place other problems reveal themselves in other areas.

Nestle comes to mind. If anyone is an evil company it's Nestle.

Nestle is probably one of the worst, their CEO thinks that he should be in control of our country's entire water supply. He thinks they are the only ones who can keep it safe.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

So alot of the average investors will jump ship and dump stocks, lowering the value. Then the rich guys go in once it bottoms out, and buy tons of cheap stocks just before J&J releases some new product which causes the stock to soar.

Big corporations who really run this world don't give a flying duck at a rolling donut if they slowly poison the world. If something bad is found, something really really evil, they will hire lobbyists to write new laws and sell them to congress. (aka Monsanto.)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: astra001uk

Interesting. So the bodies reaction to the HMGB1 protein is what causes the problem. I would think that a simple proteinase like bromelain or papain taken away from meals to make it systematic would be rapidly absorbed and destroy the protein. The proteinase is neutralized by the body fairly quickly, so eating a half a grapefruit or pineapple two times a day may help as long as the acid is not high in the stomach which destroys the proteinase.

I would think that a taurine supplement would help or consuming more taurine foods along with some molybdenum foods would help since it stimulates aptopsis of defunct cells too. Celery flakes and stalks or any parsley family will do the same thing, including sage and cilantro. The root of the celery does not contain nearly as much apigenin as the stock and is higher in euginal which numbs things and celery powder and salt contain celarian root not the stalks or leaves. Black Pepper is also contains similar chemicals to the apigenin, it has peprinogen. It kind of does the same thing.

Taurine has been shown to help with lung cancer. But only in people who are deficient in taurine. Many older people are deficient in it though, it is a conditional amino acid which needs either all of the minerals and vitamins to fuel the cycle or consuming it from meat that is not overcooked. Heat binds the taurine, so it does not work right if you cook it too much. Taurine also needs sulfite oxydase to work, a deficiency in some minerals can cause problems with making enough of that.

Thanks for the link and info. I got enough off of the link to compare what I know about enzymes to try to find a possible non-medical treatment that will reduce or delay the disease progression. I still need to investigate further, it is like playing concentration where you need to remember where you saw this or that when investigating multiple food and enzyme chemistries.

edit on 15-12-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm not surprised at all. Evil, pure evil.

I belong to another all women's group. This topic came up and many talked about how many of their female relatives died of ovarian cancer and how many used talcum powder every day.

For those that don't know, it used to be a customary thing to sprinkle powder in your undergarments. That's why grandma's always have the "powdery" smell.

IDK about pure evil or even evil. Have you looked at the actual numbers or percentages of the amount of asbestos found in the product? Do you understand how asbestos works and what it effects? The companies have stated that there are very small trace amounts in their products, which I'm willing to bet is well under a single percent if it is considered a trace amount (would like to find out the real %..)

here is a study that discusses this by the CDC:
www.atsdr.cdc.gov...

It is EXTREMELY difficult for asbestos to pass though the skin and into the body because of the way the skin grows from inside to out, it pushes it out of the body fairly quickly.

Now if it is in the product and is inhaled into the air, then that would effect the lungs, not the ovaries. I'd like to know the thought about how it can effect the ovaries specifically - I have no idea how it would target that part of the body specifically, even if it were to get inside the vaginal cavity, a person would have to be giving themselves multiple baby powder douches on a daily basis (for a long time) for this to happen considering the minuscule amount of asbestos in the product. The product is not intended for internal use - specifically noted on the product. This isn't to say that a small amount of the product on the coating of gloves or whatever is "being used internally" - but specifically applying it internally in some manner.

So how many men have a case against J&J as well? If their case is that condoms cause this (powder coated), which sounds totally ridiculous IMHO, is this the cause of prostate cancer in some men? What about testicular cancer or scrotal cancer (I do see that baby powder can irritate the scrotum)? Why hasn't this been looked into? It seems that only women are leaping to this huge conclusion and as always doing enormous damage ($40 billion) in the process. Why aren't they including men's issues in this study - I know why, b/c it doesn't fit in their little "companies abuse/neglect women" paradigm.

All of this smells and sounds like a shake-down of a major pharma and consumer products company.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Never used any of their products, or on any of my 3 children, the first was born in '92.
Awful stuff both talc, baby shampoo the works, don't even start me on their baby oil!!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The cancer thing makes more sense now.
When I heard that talc was being blamed for cancer it raised an eyebrow.
But asbestos is kinda nasty.

I wonder if this is naturally occurring?
Hard to believe it's just contamination.

Yes, it is naturally occuring as talk is a sillicate (specificaly magnesium sillicate) and asbestos is a silicate as well made up of many different elements such as iron, sodium, calcium, magnesium, aluminum, all with the corresponding Silicate grouping as wells often hydroxide groupings. It should be expected 100% for these two products to form near each other as they have similar chemical makeups.

Now if the company wasn't careful in mining the product, neglected testing (either in field or in the manufacturing process) then that is a little bit different - but to assume that you can find talc 100% free of asbestos in the volumes that is produced, that seems a little difficult to achieve and maybe only possible by increasing the cost MANY fold - if possible at all - b/c mining would become much, much slower - more testing would have to be done on smaller extracted amounts (in field testing) & I don't think there is a simple test to ID it with just a scan or something though I may be wrong.

I'm very suspicious about this supposed link that has been put forth. It seems like a group of people have decided that there is a possiblity that there MAY be a link so they decided to research this. It sounds more like a shake-down IMHO and possibly stock manipulation. I think this aspect needs to be looked into just as much as whether baby powder causes cancer b/c if that was really what they were looking for, where are all the men effected by this, guys who powder their balls, or use condoms? The powder is usually on the inside of the condom and only sometimes on the outside, so it should effect men on a much higher rate than women. Why not include them as well? B/c it doesn't fit their narrative and they don't want men involved in the shake-down - that's why.

new topics

top topics

join