It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Man Needs Skateboarding Tips!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: leolady

Lessons? What has the world come too! Only joking but the best way to learn is by studying other skaters and practicing constantly I used to practice tricks on the grass. Best way for all noobs to develop the basics. There’s some good lessons to be found on YouTube too.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Hi!

I have a little controller with a thumbstick in my hand.
thumb forward accellerates and thumb backwards engages the braking system. and a switch for reverse.
Its pretty cool the battery actually charges when one uses the brake. The feel/sensitivity on the controller is also top notch. I can go very slow if I want. But i mostly dont

I've hade one full on bodyslam and 2 almost nearly. wich was super scary, but I was so full of adrenaline it didnt hurt until the next day. but those 3 times are all my mishaps on it so far (knock on wood) and was totally worth it.
About the knarlyness, I do feel pretty knarly going max speed downhill.
gps clocked my record speed 56km/h doing so.
Its awesome. And a little scary

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivek555

That’s really cool I’m definitely going to look into getting one! 56k is very fast wouldn’t want to slam at that speed, is it wobble proof?

I made my own cross between a regular skateboard and a carve board, cut out a regular deck to make it skinnier and so the wood didn’t catch the wheels while carving but left front and back rockers to perform tricks. Fitted big old school Kriptonics wheels and wide Indy trucks, it worked like a charm and great fun for the rough and crappy tarmac in so many U.K. streets.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Wobble-proof now theres a concept lol

Mine is a pretty stiff deck, I had to loosen the trucks quite a bit to be able to do sharp(ish) corners.
That is actually the only downside I have found so far. It could be a bit more flex and turn in it but for those speedy sessions stiffness is preferred i guess. It has a normal mode where it maxes out at 24-25kmh and a speed mode for max speed.
When cruising in normal mode I would like it to have more flex and wobble but thats my personal pref I suppose.
There are thousands of makes and models, even ones for going off-road..
Mine is called a Koowheel Gen 2.
I love it very much :-)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

DUDE!!! If you think for even ONE SECOND that "skateboarding" is anything like "bull riding" you are so badly mistaken I don't even know where to begin!!

Let me tell you something, I will put ANY skate punk on this PLANET on top of a rodeo bull, and I will guarantee you with 50,000% certainty not a single one of them (if they survive) will EVER say...skateboarding is like bull riding!!!!

That's the most laughable thing I've ever seen on this website...EVER!!!

That's like saying solitaire is like Russian roulette! Or, a pillow fight is like a UFC fight.

Anyone who thinks skateboarding is even remotely like bull riding needs to get their head examined!! PERIOD!!!

That's INSANE!!!

Skateboarding isn't even like herding milk cows calves, hand tamed, and docile as sheep!

I can't even believe you made that comparison!!! Unbelievable!!

If you want some broken S# on your body, c'mon out one time and hop on one of our bulls!!! And they're not even rodeo bulls!

Skateboarding is a powder puff derby compared to getting on top of a 2,000 lb animal made of solid muscle with a cinch strap tied under his flank, and who is fired up like a 55 gallon drum of dynamite on steroids, and wants to kill everything on the planet!!

Skateboarding is like bull riding....OMG....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL **snort** LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

You CRAZY!

could say the same thing. Put any bull rider on a skateboard on top of a 22 foot half pipe and tell them to drop in.
Guarantee most bull riders can't even do an ollie. they would die dropping in on a half pipe, even on a 4 foot quarter pipe they would be clueless.

You ever seen the Movie Jackass? A lot of skaters went and rode a bull. They were all fine. They got beat up a little. Nothing serious though.

Bull riding takes way less skill, balance, and talent than skateboarding... 100% LESS.

all you gotta do is sit down and hold on. thats it. skating takes balance and skill at least.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

DUDE!!! If you think for even ONE SECOND that "skateboarding" is anything like "bull riding" you are so badly mistaken I don't even know where to begin!!

Let me tell you something, I will put ANY skate punk on this PLANET on top of a rodeo bull, and I will guarantee you with 50,000% certainty not a single one of them (if they survive) will EVER say...skateboarding is like bull riding!!!!

That's the most laughable thing I've ever seen on this website...EVER!!!

That's like saying solitaire is like Russian roulette! Or, a pillow fight is like a UFC fight.

Anyone who thinks skateboarding is even remotely like bull riding needs to get their head examined!! PERIOD!!!

That's INSANE!!!

Skateboarding isn't even like herding milk cows calves, hand tamed, and docile as sheep!

I can't even believe you made that comparison!!! Unbelievable!!

If you want some broken S# on your body, c'mon out one time and hop on one of our bulls!!! And they're not even rodeo bulls!

Skateboarding is a powder puff derby compared to getting on top of a 2,000 lb animal made of solid muscle with a cinch strap tied under his flank, and who is fired up like a 55 gallon drum of dynamite on steroids, and wants to kill everything on the planet!!

Skateboarding is like bull riding....OMG....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL **snort** LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

You CRAZY!

could say the same thing. Put any bull rider on a skateboard on top of a 22 foot half pipe and tell them to drop in.
Guarantee most bull riders can't even do an ollie. they would die dropping in on a half pipe, even on a 4 foot quarter pipe they would be clueless.

You ever seen the Movie Jackass? A lot of skaters went and rode a bull. They were all fine. They got beat up a little. Nothing serious though.

Bull riding takes way less skill, balance, and talent than skateboarding... 100% LESS.

all you gotta do is sit down and hold on. thats it. skating takes balance and skill at least.

Jah, I think so as well.
It seems the bullrider-dudes doesnt even need to wear a helmet :-)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

The bulls Johnny Knoxville and company rode in Jackass weren't even close to real "rodeo bulls", they were young junior rodeo training bulls. It was all done for TV. Real rodeo bulls would be FAR too dangerous for an amateur to attempt to ride, and the bull owner's would never allow this to happen anyway. Neither would any qualified bull fighter go in the arena to protect them (because the amateurs don't know what they're doing, putting everyone at higher risk). PBR rodeo bulls are worth millions of dollars! They don't even get loaded in the truck to do a stunt like that. Too much risk and liability (...for the bull!)

But you're right on one count; no bull rider would be caught dead on a skateboard.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
When I was a kid, I got on a skateboard for the first time. One foot on the ground and one foot on the skateboard. Board started rolling away from me slowly and to the right but I couldn't stop it. I did the splits for the first and last time in my life. Never dared step on a skateboard again.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

"But you're right on one count; no bull rider would be caught dead on a skateboard."

Why not?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Whatever. Grown people arguing about nothing. I simply said both were a challenge if you read the actual text. Jumping off a building and surviving is another example of risking life and limb, but you can't compare that to sword-fighting except to say both are challenging.

Anyhoo... back to the topic. I may have found a video of an actual teacher, not just a robot who already knows it but can't explain it:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I sprained my right wrist today and skint up mah knee real good... LoL. After I just got healed from a left wrist sprain and broken ribs. Damnit. =)

So tonight I'm retro-commiserating with a few wrist vids:

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Great bails & fails compilation here... amazes me that some kids don't have their friends block the traffic, but just go for it anyway! LoL

(Language and blood advisory)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
...and this one is dedicated to my Bull Riding friend who has already made his feelings well known in this thread! ;-|

Life is Pain.

<< 1   >>

join