It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Thrown Out by Judge (Unconstitutional), Raising Insurance Uncertainty

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ketsuko

Not really, though it may have cost them more to maintain it.

Net result was that far more got coverage. Right?

Not really.

The replacement policies many of them got offered more narrow networks with less coverage. They lost their doctors. Their deductibles went so high that they might as well not have had the policy in most cases, and they were paying much more per month in premium.

That isn't really a good thing.

If your new policy is one you are going broke paying for and you go broke paying for the health care your deductible won't touch, then why on earth do you have that insurance? Oh ... because the law says you have to have it again and you are forced to so someone can show the world that you are "covered" even though you are effectively paying all your medical expenses out of pocket.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

They still couldn't afford a doctor, especially since all of their money went to insurers.

Now what?

Still a hot topic, and will be in 2020. No?

edit on 12/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Xcathdra

a reply to: Xcathdra

Without that mandate it was unconstitutional.

YTBD

No it was determined in the scotus ruling. The law was upheld because it was a tax. Absent the mandate it wouldnt hold up.

and it didnt.

Of course, which is hilarious because Obama and the Democrats told the public it wasn't a tax.... but then turned around and argued it was a tax to SCOTUS.

Obama claiming Obamacare isn't a tax...

Yup and the irony is during verbal arguments in front of the Supreme Court the governments lawyer got called out for having a shifting position on it being a tax.

link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Sorry , the dems own obamacare top to bottom . No republican has a yes vote on the original law. That's where the nuclear option came from . The republicans also failed to repeal it and Trump is the one who used an EO to get rid of the penalty . Blame both parties for the mess we are in , just fix the damn thing .

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 10uoutlaw

Sorry , the dems own obamacare top to bottom . No republican has a yes vote on the original law. That's where the nuclear option came from . The republicans also failed to repeal it and Trump is the one who used an EO to get rid of the penalty . Blame both parties for the mess we are in , just fix the damn thing .

You can't fix something that was never intended to work to begin with.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Right. You can just pull the rug out.
Awesome.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You tell me.

Obamacare managed to raise insurance premiums out of reach for most, and I have never seen insurance drop in my life. So where do we go from here?

Can we start by finally admitting not all change is good and this change was definitely in that category?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Only because of the mandate (became a tax law). In case you are unaware the President cant create nor pass congressional legislation. Only Congress can and in this case both parties voted.

They didn't vote to remove the mandate. That was done by Trump through an EO. Trump and the Republicans alone own the fall out from this. And, it's the red states that will feel the pain the most.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 10uoutlaw

Actually one republican did vote for it.
Just sayin....

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Obamacare managed to raise insurance premiums out of reach for most, and I have never seen insurance drop in my life.

Medical insurance rates weren't rising prior to the ACA?

Can we start by finally admitting not all change is good and this change was definitely in that category?
No.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Only because of the mandate (became a tax law). In case you are unaware the President cant create nor pass congressional legislation. Only Congress can and in this case both parties voted.

They didn't vote to remove the mandate. That was done by Trump through an EO. Trump and the Republicans alone own the fall out from this. And, it's the red states that will feel the pain the most.

Explain how Trump can use an EO to make the change. The answer would be in the law itself passed in 2017.
and yes there was a Congressional vote. It was in the tax plan they passed in 2017.

The Senate's Tax Bill Eliminates the Individual Mandate for Health Insurance. Here's What You Need to Know
edit on 14-12-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

a reply to: ElGoobero

Obama promised we could keep our doctors and the prices would go down. neither happened.

Yea, well. Reality bites.

But rates were increasing all by themselves. Right?

Maybe they were, but when Obamacare kicked in, my rates tripled. It seems y old insurance, with which I was perfectly happy, weren't "good enough" for the new mandates.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

my rates tripled

Mine didn't.

It seems y old insurance, with which I was perfectly happy, weren't "good enough" for the new mandates.
Good thing you never had cancer.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

All this back and forth about who did what is useless . Both parties need to find a solution that helps all americans . Trump is only a person , not the problem . He was elected and will be around for two more years minimum , 6 maximum . What then ? we still have a lot of problems that need fixing . So quit bitching and elect some people that will get the job done. Pelosi and Schumer and McConnell are not the answer .

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I can tell you with 100% accuracy that Government run healthcare will be as efficient as the post office . So a looming disaster with healthcare will force the two parties to work together to find an answer

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Yea, well. Reality bites
Best summary so far.

Good thing your dems won the house so they can fix it, right?

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Medical insurance rates weren't rising prior to the ACA?

Not as fast.

No.

Then suck it up, buttercup.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I'm not a democrat. But I did vote for Tulsi.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join