It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I can't read Cursive."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: CryHavoc

I know how to read and write cursive and I can hardly read those documents.
Seriously, with the awful handwriting cursive inevitably gets us, I'm not so sure losing it is a bad thing.

On a side note if reading the documents of our founders is so important, why isn't english our national language? It should be imo..

Yea cursive was certainly developed for speed first. I did notice and maybe you did to that nothing I read even back in 60,s elementary school was in cursive. Text books ect.....not in cursive. So why did the then controllers of education decide to teach us cursive?

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I always found it interesting that the oriental cultures studied calligraphy. I feel cursive is important. It increases one's versatility with communication skills.

Once I had a job where everyone was required to sign into a book and record the time we started work. We had one person who was unable to do this. The clock on the wall was a round analog clock with hands. He could only read a digital clock. I don't think he was too stupid to tell time, I guess he just never had to use a round clock before.

This is kind of how I see inability to read handwriting.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Once I had a job where everyone was required to sign into a book and record the time we started work.

I never learned cursive numbers myself.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Thank God for Bixby.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Just tell them it's a different font. The letters aren't so dissimilar that someone couldn't figure them out.

Well maybe except the weird Q and Z.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Seiko

And s that looks like f.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It doesn't to me Phage?

If we want kids to read and learn cursive just tell them it's only for adults.

Cursive as stated before is specifically for the hand written words, and not typed. When I do reports I always transcribe from my cursive notes, which are nigh unintelligible to others to a typed report.

I can't honestly remember being unable to read cursive. I think these are exaggerations, anyone who set their mind to it could do it easily enough, especially a child.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Well, the newest generation(s) can't read cursive.

And … we are surprised?

I believe the dropping of cursive writing in school has been due in part from technology (typing keyboards do not write in cursive), but also party due to teaching / educational deficits.

The really sad thing is that these newest / youngest generations will not be able to read the original Constitution of the United States of America, and other original older documents from many nations in history, because they are all written in cursive.

Sad … Sad. By intent?

Things that make you go 'hmmmm'.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Seiko

I can't honestly remember being unable to read cursive. I think these are exaggerations, anyone who set their mind to it could do it easily enough, especially a child.

I taught myself to play chess one summer at my grandfather's house, from books. I'll admit I play badly. My penmanship is also lousy.
Neither seems to have been a hindrance.

edit on 12/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

Congratulations Teachers - the next generation of children won't be able to READ any of the documents of the history of the United States. It will be a Foreign Language.

So is Middle English and no one is complaining. It's not the teachers fault. They teach the curriculum and the curriculum today doesn't even teach typing. It's "keyboarding."

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: toms54

Once I had a job where everyone was required to sign into a book and record the time we started work.

I never learned cursive numbers myself.

I know. Those cursive clocks are a bitch.

What if your clock doesn't even have numbers? Just dots? Are you supposed to write ..:.. for the time?

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I can’t speak cursive!!

But in reality, several things are happening (and have been mentioned). One is an emphasis on results not learning or comprehension. Or even problem solving, And the “things that don’t matter” get chucked out. We get stupid stuff like new math and lower standards to “pass” (which equals “good”).

I guess that is two things at once!

Then it is an arms race between teachers being educated enough and not being paid enough. Q: if a teacher doesn’t have to teach (only get test scores) then why do they need so much education?

A: No child left behind.

And there is more. But that is what is wrong with education: too many wanting so much without having to do anything!

I would, as Honest Abe, pull the parent aside and ask them to teach cursive to their kid. Both read and write it. Then the three R’s: Reading, Writing, and Rhythm-guitar!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Maybe the kid was Dyslexic?

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seiko
Just tell them it's a different font. The letters aren't so dissimilar that someone couldn't figure them out.

Well maybe except the weird Q and Z.

It wouldn't be difficult to teach kids cursive if we just used more cursive fonts on computers and internet.
There is such a thing as cursive fonts.

When they are first learning to write, present textbooks and learning materials in cursive.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I promise, on this day, on this site, a vow.

I will slap the taste out of any morons mouth who ever says to me that they, "Can't do cursive."

WTF?

Is it that it's hard? Is it that it requires practice?

I pity the future. "Idiocracy" is real.

SMGDMFH

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Why have the originals when we have copies? Why to ensure the copies match the original. This is the core of translation errors. Sometimes the translation isn't a correct copy, but if you don't have the originals to compare to, hey...at least you can be sure those digital copies can't be altered and were copied without error

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes.
You must be really old if you don't remember the drills.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yes.
You must be really old if you don't remember the drills.

I do remember the drills.

So we stop doing things because it is hard?

I'm going to start hitting people with my slide rule.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

So we stop doing things because it is hard?

Nope. Because there's no point.

How's your buggy whip factory doing?

My favorite slipstick was round (not a good weapon). But then calculators came along.

edit on 12/14/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I rarely use cursive, but every once in a while, I start writing, and man is it fast and smooth. Too many years of engineering took me away from that. It is silly to think that it is difficult to read/write. It is just an unfortunate artifact of an e-society I think.

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I promise, on this day, on this site, a vow.

I will slap the taste out of any morons mouth who ever says to me that they, "Can't do cursive."

WTF?

I pity the future. "Idiocracy" is real.

SMGDMFH

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join