It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting find about what chickens prefer to eat - not what I expected

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I don't think they were suffering.

Oh, well, if you think they were happy, all strays must be happy then, right?

Really, son, get a clue.

Hey why don't you go around killing people that you believe are suffering, like homeless people for instance?

Why don't you take in all these cats you seem so worried about? Or all those dogs you stopped to feed? Take them all home, and get back to me.

While you're at it, I have four cats you can have.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Why do you keep calling me a "slicker", cos I happen to like cats?

I know what the country is, thanks. I have seen Deliverance, too. You don't play the banjo, by any chance?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
I wanna try what cat tastes like now lol.
My mother told me that rabbits had to be hung at the butchers with their heads on back in the day because some unscrupulous butchers would pass cat off as rabbit. I don't know the truth of that, just remember her telling me years ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Nice! Taking in an animal is always preferable in my mind... too many of them are unwanted and, like you said, destined to be food just because of that.

That's actually how we started raising turkeys... a friend of a friend had too many and asked him if we wanted any.

You would love Norfolk over here - people still point at cars (allegedly).

No offense, but it sounds a little too civilized for me.

CornishCeltGuy has the idea... I really doubt there are any areas in the UK that are as rural as much of the US is. I love my lifestyle the way it is... I have all the advantages of rural living and my degree allowed me to combine that with the advantages of modern technology. I have the best of both worlds right here.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Ok girly.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Land around here, if you can find it, goes for about $2000 an acre in small parcels. City property is much more expensive, of course. The land is all family land as I mentioned earlier.

My cousin runs a large farming operation... his trust owns a few thousand acres and he leases a few thousand more. If times ever get bad, he still lets people pick up whatever food falls from his equipment after he harvests. That just shows the attitude people have around here.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Nowhere is rural in the UK compared to the US.
I was amazed by a story from FlyingClayDisk not so long ago, he has to drive something like 30 miles to the nearest small store and gas station.
It is a different world completely.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It sounds amazing

2 grand an acre?! I can only dream of prices like that here in the UK!
My life would be so different if land was so cheap here.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I know what the country is, thanks. I have seen Deliverance, too. You don't play the banjo, by any chance?

Hahaha, I live about an hour or so from where they filmed "Deliverance."

I can't even play a radio good. My Dad could play a banjo, though, and so can several other people around here.

One thing I have discovered is that a lot of people think they live in the country until they come out here. When I say country, I don't mean suburbs or sub-suburbs... I mean country. We still have wells for water and septic tanks for sewage. There are no 'services'... an ambulance takes 15 minutes minimum to get to us, and the police will arrive within 30 minutes if someone is dying. The game warden has to ask for permission to patrol the land. I have never heard of "cat rescue people" outside a city... heck, in the closest city to me, if you drop kittens off at the shelter, they just kill them as soon as you leave. The local Humane Society will (and has) tell you to kill any kind of dog if it sounds at all dangerous.

We live on our own... no services, no excuses, precious few other people.

You may think you live in the country, but from everything I am hearing, it's not the same thing I live in.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Yes, that is true. The UK is tiny compared to the US.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I think FCD lives a bit farther out than me. I can make it into town in 20 minutes.

Now, if I want to go to what most people call a "city," that's about an hour away.

(BTW, my property taxes for last year ran about $27.00. That's not a typo.)

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

15 minutes for an ambulance isn't long.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that ranging chickens love leftover linguine.

Once they get a taste for it, they'll go nuts every time you put it out, especially if it's warm weather. Put it in a pile on the ground, and you'll spark a feeding frenzy, long strands of pasta flying this way and that.They'll squabble over it and run away from competitors, dragging long strands of the stuff from their beaks.

Guess they can get addicted to simple carbs and gluten just like us humans!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Honestly, I'm not trying to degrade you here. I just want you to understand there is a difference. To me, you are a city slicker. To you, someone in a large city probably is.

My wife told me when we started dating she was from the "country." She had literally no idea what country life was like, because she lived in the edge of the suburbs.

Heck, she even had pizza delivery!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

15 minutes is an eternity when you're having a heart attack.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Indeed..
But i live in a big town and it says it takes 7 to 15 minutes to get an ambulance here. Not much difference to where you live.
edit on 2-1-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

We have a septic tank too. I get your point that our idea of the country is different to yours - the US is huge - but come to think of it, we have to wait hours for an ambulance even if we are dying so 15 minutes is bloody brilliant.

The Police - you are lucky here if they turn up at all unless it is a real emergency.

Squeal piggy, squeal! (etc).

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

15 minutes is not what they say here; it's the fastest I have ever seen an ambulance show up. I have seen wait times over 30 minutes, but those were not as serious as a heart attack.

My last heart attack took 15 minutes. The first one took 20. They get here as soon as they can.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
$27 dollars property tax for 80 acres???
Haha I'm jealous, I pay over £1000 a year for a one bedroom cottage with a small yard!
I do plan on buying a few acres though, it'll happen when my mother passes and I get my share of her estate. I'll sell up and go semi rural. Name a meadow after my parents or something, raise chickens...get 2 Maine Coon cats, teach them to hunt other cats lol

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Yes - linguine, spag and noodles are favourites. Sweetcorn too. They go proper mental for leftover scallops. Cream cheese too.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join